apple store ip5 replacements - are they brand new out of retail box?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by araBM0ney, Oct 9, 2012.

1. araBM0ney macrumors newbie

hi,

like many others, my ip5 32gb black att was scratched/scuffed out of the box. i am still within my 30 day return period. my question is, if i make a genius bar appointment and bring my phone in, will they give me a brand new ip5 out of the retail packaged box? or will it be a replacement phone from one of those generic boxes? even if the generic box contains a "new" ip5, i dont feel comfortable trading in my current one which was brand new out of the retail packaging for one from a generic box. what have your experiences been? were you given brand new devices?

thanks

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. cababah macrumors 68000

Replacement phones are just that, phones only and no retail box. They come from different boxes set aside for the sole purpose of being a replacement. This early in the production, any replacement you get should be brand new and not a refurb.

I hear there is a way to tell if it is a refurb based on the serial number but I can't comment on that.

4. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

I think you'll need to do a return and get in line if you want a new box.

5. itjw macrumors 65816

Nope, dirty refurb.

After all, you're exchanging a used phone, why not be happy just getting one that works back?

Or do you "deserve" a new one?

These threads are ridiculous. Half the time people can't even tell and just want fellow ocd'ers to reassure them it's brand new instead of a dreaded refurb. They'd never know otherwise.

Apple has already "recycled" most of the "scuff gate" phones. Hope you're all happy :). You're now doomed to get a slimy icky refurb white box.

Only way around it is a full return for a full retail boxed phone. Otherwise you'll always wonder and it'll drive you insane right?!

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Currently the replacements are new. It's to early in the production cycle for refurbs.

7. MacBreezy macrumors regular