apple store ip5 replacements - are they brand new out of retail box?

araBM0ney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
hi,

like many others, my ip5 32gb black att was scratched/scuffed out of the box. i am still within my 30 day return period. my question is, if i make a genius bar appointment and bring my phone in, will they give me a brand new ip5 out of the retail packaged box? or will it be a replacement phone from one of those generic boxes? even if the generic box contains a "new" ip5, i dont feel comfortable trading in my current one which was brand new out of the retail packaging for one from a generic box. what have your experiences been? were you given brand new devices?

thanks

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Replacement phones are just that, phones only and no retail box. They come from different boxes set aside for the sole purpose of being a replacement. This early in the production, any replacement you get should be brand new and not a refurb.

I hear there is a way to tell if it is a refurb based on the serial number but I can't comment on that.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Nope, dirty refurb.

After all, you're exchanging a used phone, why not be happy just getting one that works back?

Or do you "deserve" a new one?

These threads are ridiculous. Half the time people can't even tell and just want fellow ocd'ers to reassure them it's brand new instead of a dreaded refurb. They'd never know otherwise.

Apple has already "recycled" most of the "scuff gate" phones. Hope you're all happy :). You're now doomed to get a slimy icky refurb white box.

Only way around it is a full return for a full retail boxed phone. Otherwise you'll always wonder and it'll drive you insane right?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.