Apple store making me choose a different text messaging plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billhelm, Sep 14, 2012.

1. billhelm macrumors regular

I'm on a granfathered AT&T texting plan (200 messages) and the Apple store is making me choose unlimited or pay per text.

Uh, no thanks.

Man, I'm going to bed. Screw this.

2. billhelm thread starter macrumors regular

3. valenrandy macrumors member

valenrandy

I just posted about this too. waiting on an answer. Hopefully someone sheds some light on this.

4. corey407woc macrumors member

same thing happened to me i just choose unlimited for 20 bucks and will resolve it with att when i get the phone since i was on 10 dollar unlimited

5. arom macrumors 6502

Same thing here through apple! Had the $5 200 message plan. Anyone get through AT&T and NOT have the option to keep an older texting plan??

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Maybe they are grandfathering in the unlimited data but not the texting plans which are no longer currently offered? I changed my text plan a while back to one that is still offered and I did not have to choose a different option.

7. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

same here, lost my $5 plan. I will call tomorrow. I don't think the plans technically change until we activate the phones right?

8. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I have the $5 texting plan and the Apple Store brought it over and let me keep it, no problem.

Last year during the 4S launch we had this issue with AT&T's website; for some buyers they were offering only "No Plan" or "Unlimited". Turns out if you chose "No Plan", that secretly meant "Keep my existing plan". I am NOT advocating that you choose that this year, just giving you my experience.

I was one of the unlucky ones who ordered my 4S through AT&T's website last year and they just took my $5 texting plan away without even giving me a choice. :( I have to say though, it was no trouble to get it back once I got them on the phone. I imagine they're a lot more amenable to restoring deprecated text plans than unlimited data plans.

9. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Mine made me change from Unlimited data to 3GB data on Apple.com... Gonna raise hell with AT&T tomorrow.

10. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Shouldn't have any trouble keeping your existing messaging plan by just giving AT&T a call. I'm on the $10/month Unlimited messaging and selected the $20/month plan on the Apple Store so I will call AT&T after I receive my iPhone 5 to fix any changes to my current plan.

11. james92se macrumors 6502a

I just got through Apple's site while keeping my unlimited data and $5/200 text message plan. Had no problem at all

What I DO have a problem with is the whole time during the order it said the phone would deliver 9/21 and then immediately after placing the order it said it "available to ship in 2 weeks". Pretty annoying as I continually refreshed for 45 minutes to get in and as ordered as soon as I was able to get in. :(

12. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I kept all of my options. Apple didn't even prompt me to change any of plan features.

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

14. Lyrical macrumors regular

Is that 200 messages a month? That cant be enough surely?:confused:

15. arom macrumors 6502

So it looks like you're able to keep the old plan ordering through AT&T but apple doesn't allow it?? AT&T better let us go back to our old texting plan!!

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Unfortunately not.

I used the Apple Store App and it left my $15 unlimited texting on. Although I'm debating calling in and cancelling it anyway.

----------

With iMessage and other alternatives to texting these days, it's MORE than enough. My friends are starting to delete their texting plans. Planning to join them.

17. billhelm thread starter macrumors regular

Not a heavy user... And I mostly use iMessage or google voice.

18. lordryan, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

lordryan macrumors newbie

i'm having the same issue via the web and iphone app. so frustrating as i don't want to change my text plan. It recognized my old unlimited data plan but not the 200 text messages plan. i'll be keeping an eye on this thread before ordering for sure. not ordering until this gets sorted out for sure.

update: even better, apple.com can't process my order since my billing address "isn't a valid shipping address - please visit an apple store to order your phone" - which is awesome since the closest one is f'n 140 miles away.

19. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Had the same thing happen with me this AM with trying to order through the apple store. I just picked the per message plan. Will plan on calling ATT though to find out what the story is for sure before activiating my phone. I definitely don't want to lose my 200/5$ plan as that is all I need with all the iMessaging I use. At least my unlimited data was not an issue.

20. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Same here as well. Even trying through AT&T, the only options it gave me were $10 for 1000 texts or $20 for unlimited. The $5 for 200 is plenty for me.

21. billhelm thread starter macrumors regular

yep, that's what I'm getting this morning for text messaging with AT&T's site after trying again. They're also trying to get me to switch from my $25.00 2GB data plan to the 30.00 3 GB plan. (although strangely, they did offer me the FAN discount on it, which they never have before)

I have a FAN discount and it kicks me to the premiere site, which I think complicates some of this stuff.

22. jettoblack macrumors member

Like you I also have the $5/200 msg grandfathered plan.

When I placed my order on the Apple store (just a few minutes after it went live), it let me keep my $25/2GB data plan, but for texts the only options were pay per use or $20/unlimited.

Since most of my family and friends are on iMessage, I rarely use more than 20 or so texts per month, so if I lost the $5/200 plan it might actually save me a little money, but I'd prefer to keep it anyway. Let's hope it stays on or AT&T can add it back on after I activate the new phone. I definitely don't need unlimited texts or even voice, so the share everything plans would cost me significantly more.

I find it very odd to see the number of different experiences people had on the Apple store with AT&T... some were forced to upgrade or change their data plan while others were able to keep their old plans, some were offered to keep the $5/200 msg plan while others were forced to change, etc. It seems very inconsistent for an Apple experience.

23. billhelm thread starter macrumors regular

I blame AT&T since it's their data that's feeding it.

I'm just waiting til I can go into a store and deal with a human after the initial rush is over at this point. It's not worth it to risk my grandfathered plans so I can get the iPhone on launch day.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

My texting plan is $10 for 1000 and there was no problem with keeping my unlimited data...try giving them a call?