Apple Store pickup question (re: keeping unlimited data)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ivabign, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I managed to snag a phone last night and bottom line it is for me - I used the upgrade on my wife's line (she has a 4 - she is getting my 4S as she loves her bling cases and could care less)

What I want to do is activate the new phone on her line - and then transfer the phone to my line so I can keep unlimited data.

Is this something that can be completed at the Apple store? - I would be OK with reactivating her 4 and switching her to the 4S later.

Do you think the people at Apple are familiar with the ends that some people will go to to keep their unlimited data?

Another twist -

My wife has unlimited data now - she will be switching to 2GB @ month with the new phone - she doesn't mind as she doesn't consume much data at all - but I have an open line I can add to the family plan - and I have a dumb phone (LG ENV3) in my pocket - could I activate a new line - then switch that phone to my line (keeping unlimited) and then putting the dumbphone on the new line in order to cancel data later on... (still having a 2 year commitment on the new line - just having an additional $9.99 added to my current bill) My wife could then keep her unlimited data.

God, this is a tangled web.

What I am trying to do is have my plan completed when I leave the Apple store today so I don't have to go on the lookout for Verizon sims and deal with activating later...

Does this make sense?:confused:

2. imazu macrumors regular

Switching the device to another line is what Verizon calls as alternative upgrade. But I will highly suggest to ask for an extra nano sim so after you activate it to the line where it suppose to go to, you can switch device online and use the new ICCID to the unlimited data or just call Verizon. Apple can't do much of the switching.

3. Ivabign, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

Ivabign thread starter macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Does 'Alternative Upgrade' come with any additional costs? Will Verizon try to hold me to the $30 data plan on the dumbphone line for the duration of the contract?

4. imazu macrumors regular

If you did an upgrade to a dumb line... Activate the iPhone 5 and then go online to your account and checked if that dumb line has the iPhone 5 and then do Activate/Switch Device, you'll need to put the ESN # of the dumb phone. And that dumb line will be back to whatever the original plan cost..meaning it will deactivate your data plan on the dumb line after you activate a dumb phone.
    Then you can Activate/Switch Device your unlimited data providing the serial # and if you have a new nano sim (ICCID).
    I think there are other option how to do the switch but I find this more comfortable for me as the phone will be activated where it suppose to be and then just do the Switch afterwards.
    Re-cost, it will be 2 year contract but the dumb line won't have data cost after you activate back the dumb phone.

5. Ivabign thread starter macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I went ahead and did the upgrade on my wife's line - they wouldn't let me change over to adding a new line - I can cross that bridge later on - They gave me a brand new SIM card so I can burn the one inside it and activate on my line with no issues - the only problem is that on the Verizon website - her line still shows as a pending order - so I can't switch her back to her old phone (or my 4S)

Maybe I need to actually open the box with the iPhone 5 I picked up - I didn't check it out while I was there - I really wouldn't have much recourse - they didn't have any other phones in stock - and the Apple guy said if it had any blemishes to bring it back - no questions asked.

I looked at the phones they had on display at the store - Fashion Island is a pretty big shop - they had many black and white 5's on display - no obvious damage other than scratches at the lightning port where people fumble to remount the phones after they have handled it.

I must say, it is a beautiful device - if it is a bit more delicate than the 4/4S - so be it. I think the best feature is LTE - coverage is strong here and that's what I use it for - browsing - streaming, etc... Fast data is paramount to me.

6. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I did the same thing sort of. I used a upgrade on my daughters line to get my wife a 5. I received the phone activated it under my daughters number then re activated her old dumb phone. Then I activated the 5 on my wife's line an kept her unlimited plan.

You only lose your unlimited data when you do:
    1) use a upgrade on the line with unlimited data or
    2) transfer a upgrade from another line to the line with unlimited data and then use it.

Simply use the upgrade as intended on the dumb phone line or the line you don't mind losing the unlimited plan. Then revert back to that lines original phone. Then you are free to activate the new phone on any line with unlimited data and keep it as you haven't technically used a upgrade on that line.

7. imazu macrumors regular

If you have a spare nano sim just activate the iPhone 5. When you turn it on it will activate, a screen should pop up your iPhone is activated. Then go to Phone-Contacts and check on top if it's your wife phone # and do a test, then check online if it shows on her # the iPhone 5. Then you can go ahead and Activate/Switch to the 4S. Test if her # is on the 4S. Then Activate the iPhone 5 to your # with the new nano sim. Then turn on the iPhone5 with the new nano sim. And you should be good to go.

8. Ivabign thread starter macrumors 6502

Ivabign

How long did it take before you could go on the website and make the switch?

I have activated the phone - but the website still shows the phone as unactivated - hence I am unable to do the switch - I imagine it will update sometime soon - it is just until then my wife is going to use my phone!

As an aside - I received another Verizon 16GB Black/Slate in perfect condition.

9. imazu macrumors regular

Log in Log out.. I don't remember how long. Were you able to do test call on iPhone5 with your wife's #?

10. Ivabign thread starter macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I have sent and received texts - as well as called out and received calls - it is just a matter of time I'm sure.

11. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Not long at all. I activated it and then deactivated it and switched it over. Call Verizon and have them do it or go to the store if thats possible. Thats what I did.