Apple Store Racism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Speechless, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speechless, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015

Speechless macrumors 6502

Apple manager refuses entry of Somali students in Australian store because he's "afraid they might steal something":

This needs to be main paged.

2. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I was asked to leave an Apple Store once because I was intoxicated. The employees were scared that I would break the iPad Air.

3. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

That's terrible OP. Not something you want to see.

4. Speechless thread starter macrumors 6502

It's disgusting.

He should NOT represent Apple in any way, shape, or form. It just broke so we still have time to attract attention.

5. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

Well I hope the right people see this and he loses his job. You should e-mail the video to Tim Cook.

6. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

well you do realize that we only saw like a 30 second clip... there are all types of things that could have happened before hand that led to this. Lets not just assume its racism... When I was in high school i worked at kmart and if I got filmed for the last 30 seconds of incidents involving black people I probably would look racist as well. However, what a 30 second video doesn't tell you is that maybe they were acting suspiciously, and that the same thing happened yesterday with a white person. Its completely childish to only take a 30 second clip of an incident out of context and try to make it a news story

7. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Watched the video. Lol @ the guy saying it's okay, but they have to leave. Hope the necessary firings are in order.

8. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I see somebody in the comments noticed that guy and said he was made to feel uncomfortable as well...interesting.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

On the face of it, not good at all but we don't know what has happened previously. Perhaps a member or members of that same group have stolen things from the store before?

10. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

Thank You, logic.

11. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

Well if they were acting suspicious you can't blame them. People scream racism everytime they do that to blacks but most robberies/theft are commited by blacks so people are scared and think every black person is a thug.

12. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

First of all, that's false. Second of all, did you just try to justify the generalization of an entire group of people? o_O

13. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

Please show me your proof, or are you basing this on what you see in the media?

14. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Another short clip where people can provide their "expert opinion" on who should get fired and what not.

I hate society and social media sometimes because of this.

15. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

That'd be my feeling as well. Piling on the security guard because he's white and appears to be profiling these kids because of their color is, in and of itself, profiling - without knowing the full story. There's simply not enough info in that video to form an educated opinion, though what little there is does appear bad. But appearances are often misleading.

If he did indeed profile and kicked these kids out, for the offense of shopping while Black, then he needs to be axed and the store management needs some serious intervention. However, if the kids were doing something that would have invoked that sort of reaction, regardless of their race, than he could have just been doing his job? Either way, Apple need to investigate and handle this.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with both types of profiling.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Like any big company with many employees, incidents like this always happen.

Apple, I found, is no better or worse than anybody else. There's been a lot of hype just how "different" we are than everybody else, but that's just marketing. Such a racist incident could have happened at a Sony store, Microsoft store, or AT&T store. It's unfortunate but it happens.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We may not have enough information from the short video on whether or not this was a racist act but we sure have enough information from your post.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Maybe Apple should start patting down their customers upon exit as they do with their employees. :)

19. mudslag, Nov 12, 2015

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Interesting how? Being uncomfortable is subjective, trying to understand the point are you trying to convey?

On the flip side, it can work both ways.

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This incident is much more reflective of the culture in Australia than it is on Apple. There is a long history of racism in Australia. Given that reality, Apple needs to do a better job of screening applicants during the hiring process to avoid incidents like this one which has everyone talking about racism at Apple as opposed to the real problem of racism in Australia.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

I stubbed my toe at an Apple Store. What's Tim Cook and the entire corporate structure that is Apple, here and in all other countries, going to do about it?

22. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

This thread is a joke. None of you saying the manager should be fired have a clue what happened before that 30 sec video. Screaming racism is the popular thing to do right now, but how about we get the whole story on this before we jump to conclusions. Most of the post are naive and make posters sound foolish.

I am not saying there could not have been some racism involved, but we don't know. This is a lot like the Missouri issue of racism. Some how a group of football players can get a president to step down because they want to put the blame on one person. I understand the logic. That stretch way beyond the president, and the problem will only continue. Here we only see 30 seconds of video, and that some how tells us this Apple manager is racist. Maybe just maybe we should get the whole story. This will never happen because that would not make a good story.

23. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/stories/s4350837.htm

That's the whole article. Basically security in the store kicked the people out of the store because they were likely thieves. The security saw black teenagers and basically was totally racist towards them. These people were high school aged. After a chat to their school principle the Apple store apoligsed.

This is not a good look for Apple, racism in their stores.

24. 63dot, Nov 12, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

My guess is that there is racism in every culture and this unfortunate incident could happen at an Apple Store in other countries, too. Unlike buying online from a very safe web page, going in a store uses real life people, and all sorts of issues can happen, including racism.

But I would never take from this video that Apple is a racist organization, but that they have stores manned by people and incidents happen at times when people work in stores. It's probably not even necessary for Apple to have actual, physical stores and the company's reputation of having great products predates any stores they may have. Word of mouth, great commercial campaign, and the products speak for themselves. I love Levi's, Fender guitars, Little Debbie snacks, but these great products don't have scores of retail stores dedicated to just their brand. So when you open Apple Stores, this can happen and it could reflect badly on Apple even though it's really only reflecting badly on that particular employee.

Maybe you would break a Mac Mini or iPhone, so how do they know? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.