Apple store rep says ATT will unlock new iPhone purchased after the contract is over

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filex, Jun 26, 2011.

1. filex macrumors newbie

I was at Apple store today to purchase an unlocked iPhone for my dad. While purchasing, Apple rep mentioned that if I buy subsidized ATT iPhone, ATT will unlock the phone once the contract is over. She mentioned that the company wanted all customers purchasing an iPhone to know that.

Then I asked if ATT will unlock my old iPhone. She said that she is not sure and asked me to call ATT. She didn't know what was the cut off date on it but I assumed that the cut of date is the day Apple announced availability of unlocked iPhones.

Any one heard of this from Apple store rep?

Now, interesting thing is, why don't ATT unlock iPhones which have gone through their two year contracts? Is it time that we should call ATT for unlock codes now?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally speaking, I'd not believe someone from one company stating how another company will handle their business. Better to get the information from ATT then to trust an uninformed sales associate.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

Why would AT&T wait until your contract is up to unlock the phone? Why not sell you the phone unlocked with a 2 year contract? The reason being is even after the contract is up and you sell the phone, the next buyer will be forced to use it on AT&T. AT&T has learned over the years that many iPhone users upgrade every year, and then sell or give away their old iPhones. Those phones come back to the network.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Sales reps are often misinformed at best and I really wouldn't trust one that is talking about another company, no matter how close the relationship is between the two organizations.

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Knowing what AT&T's response would be, I called AT&T on Friday to request them to unlock my iPhone 4. At first the representative told me that she would be "GLAD" to help me out with my request and after placing me on hold for a couple of minutes, she gave me the usual story that AT&T does not unlock any iPhone's and that she didn't know if AT&T ever would.

6. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

of course she would be GLAD

7. pbateman macrumors 6502

Given that the Iphone 4 just came out June 2010 no one has yet technically fulfilled their contract though right?
    So even if they were to unlock it they wouldn't start doing it till June 2012?
    Or am I off in my numbers.....

8. Diode, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

My contract is up and I have a subsidized iPhone 4 - we will see what happens. On the phone now - will stop by a AT&T retail store later tonight as well.

Edit - no dice. Will still try a retail store later though. The rep kept claiming that they can't unlock the phone but only sell the ones that are "pre-unlocked."

You think I would have better luck at a Apple store?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think you are just wasting your time.
    Noone will unlock a US locked iphone.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. Some people can't do math.