Apple Store replaced my Antiglare MacBook Pro for glossy as no AG in stock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgartner0622, Nov 6, 2011.

1. mgartner0622, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello-
    I'm hoping someone might be able to answer this question I have in regards to how computer exchanges work...
    Today, after numerous issues, I took my MacBook Pro back into the Genius Bar for the second time this weekend. My computer was sporadically freezing, and the backlight would not come on 1/2 of the time. To my amazement, the genius decided to give me an exchange, and referred me to one of the support staff that was in charge of exchanging my units, saying that they would be in charge of giving me an equal or better computer.
    When he came back with the new model, I asked him if it would be the same as my old one, and mentioned my antiglare screen specifically. He said the new one would "probably not" have it, however I asked him to make sure, and he said he was unable to give me one with antiglare as they didn't have any in stock. I was currently waiting in the very busy store for over an hour at this point, so I decided to just go home and "deal with it" as I didn't want to take any more of anyone's time.
    I'm typing on the machine right now, and to be honest I really miss the antiglare screen. It was probably the best part about my old computer.
    Is there any way I can get an exchange for a model with an Antiglare screen? Are they even required to exchange my antiglare for another antiglare?

TL;DR Version:
    My MacBook Pro was exchanged today at the Apple Store, however my old model was an high resolution Antiglare and the new unit is a standard lower resolution glossy display, as they said they don't carry HR AG models. Is there any way to get a HR AG Model?

Thank you for your help everyone!

2. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

That doesn't really sound like a fair deal to me. Is there no way they could've ordered one in?

3. fluffymuha macrumors newbie

fluffymuha

The antiglare option cost you extra money. If i was you, I'd go back to the store tomorrow and make sure i got my money's worth.;)

4. ET3SW macrumors member

Yes they should have replaced it with the Anti-Glare option. I would call or pay a visit to your local store and explain it to them. You may need to wait a couple days for them to order one.

5. Mersailios macrumors regular

Your MacBook Pro should have been replaced with a unit that has an anti-glare screen as it is what you had originally ordered.

I would recommend going back to the Apple Store and explaining the situation and see if they can order in a new unit with the correct screen to replace your old computer.

Best of luck and have a great day. :)

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

The advice here is pointless. Nobody speaks for Apple. You "accepted" the exchange and now don't want it? Your mistake was leaving without getting what you wanted.

Besides, you don't say whether this was a new machine that got replaced or whether the genius opted to give you a replacement rather than throw parts into an old macbook.

What machine did you have first and how old was it?

7. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I had the machine in my signature... a Mid 2010 2.4GHz i5 with the 256MB 330GT graphics card, and of course custom ordered with an antiglare display.
    I realize I should be happy with the exchange as this new model has slightly better specifications, and I kind of feel like I'm being too greedy here, but I really do miss my old screen, as it is why I opted for the 15" over the 13" - that is the CTO High Res screen option. I know I left without getting an antiglare model, but the assistant basically said that they don't carry them.

8. pete1 macrumors newbie

Not greedy at all. If I were you I would have pushed for the antiglare screen and not taken no for an answer. After all you paid for the upgrade in the first place, and what they're giving you is worse than what you had (since you say it's lower res as well). While they may not be able to order Antiglare models into the store perhaps they could have arranged to have one delivered to you directly. I'd say at this point take it back and explain the situation but do it ASAP.

9. Minhthien macrumors 6502

so they gave you an 2011 for you old 2010? Thats a big bonus!

10. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, they gave me the stock configuration low end 15" refreshed model, sans antiglare.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

oh, this is awful. You spend a lot of money on something that is exactly as you want it, and now you got something that is better in many aspects, but just not the way you were used to.

I have no idea what I would do, but you should decide soon whether you want to return it and demand an antiglare, and probably live with the 2010 model they will dig out somewhere and give you in return.

12. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Go in and talk to somebody else in the store, preferably when they aren't as busy, and ask to speak to a manager. They should be able to make an exchange for a MBP with an anti-glare screen. If they don't have one in store there's no reason they can't order one for you. You might have to wait a week or so for them to get one in.

Bottom line is you paid extra for the his res, anti glare screen. You're owed a computer with the same. It would be bad business for them to refuse to make this exchange for you. They'll do it.

13. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

Personally, I would be thrilled to receive the upgrade you just did.

If anti-glare is a deal breaker, then of course bring it back.

On the other hand, I would imagine that typically you would need to have your laptop sent back into Apple where it would be repaired under warranty. So you would be receiving your exact same machine back with the repair.

IMO, they just did you a huge favor by giving you a brand new machine in trade. You went from an i5 to an i7. And even better, you did not need to wait for Apple to correctly repair your old one.

I guess it comes down to this, if someone was willing to trade their brand new 2011 glossy MBP 15 for your 2010 AG MBP 15, would you have been willing to take the trade? Personally I would, but then again I am happy on both AG and glossy (I know I'm probably strange in that regard).

Just my thoughts on this matter...

14. Minhthien macrumors 6502

You just score big time man! Keep it! Don't come back because they might fix your old one and give that one to you! I would be SUPER happy if I was in your position!

The upgrade is likely around +500(from 2010-->2011)! And the antiglare only 150!

15. goMac macrumors 603

Why would they do that?

Apple generally replaces with a comparable model of the latest generation. Anti-glare would fall under comparable. Just go in and talk to them.

Worst case, it's not like they are going to wrestle the new one out of your hands, force you to take back your old one, and then throw you out onto the street.

16. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Certainly not without kicking you in the balls and spitting in your face for good measure. :p

17. Minhthien, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Minhthien macrumors 6502

Lets just say they give you 2 choices.
    1. Same model with anti-glare(2010 dual-core 2.4ghz)
    2. Latest Model with no anti-flare(2011 QUAD-CORE 2.2ghz)

Tell me which choice would you pick?

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

no offense to the OP or anyone else, but i think it is rather pointless to continue telling the OP to "go back to apple" and get the anti glare... a bajillion people have said, so i am pretty sure the OP has gotten the hint and will act on it
    what i mean is we should wait for the BIG NEWS!!
    Do let us know how things went, though im sure that they will exchange it / order a new one for you [it's apple, they love their customers just as much as they love our money!] :)

19. pete1 macrumors newbie

Hmm, if I were in the OP's position and I had no other choice, I probably would go for the newer one. I would be a bit annoyed about having to go down from 1680x1050 to 1440x900 though. Going from antiglare to glossy wouldn't bother me that much.

20. MrBullet macrumors member

This is bad customer service from Apple right here.

I would go into the store, explain your story and then hopefully they'll give you good customer service, as the are known for, and sort the problem out.

21. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Nobody should be answering this other than the OP. If he finds glossy low res to be a dealbreaker, for whatever reason, then that's all that matters. Other people's personal opinions on the topic are unimportant.

22. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If this is the best you can get from the apple store you could sell and buy the model you need.

23. mgartner0622, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'm going to give them a call today, explain the situation, and see what happens. It mainly is the loss of resolution, as others have said, that bothers me. I develop and refine web sites on this computer in addition to using as my daily machine, so the resolution loss is definitely noticeable. Most of the day i'm also sitting directly above a skylight, with a window behind me, making for less than ideal glare on this screen.

24. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

THey are supposed to give you a same spec or better replacement.

Same spec or better in this case would include the antiglare and higher resolution. People have had them give a machine with lower VRAM before and had it replaced again for a higher spec because it was lower than their original machine, despite every other aspect being better.

25. jdsingle macrumors regular

I don't see how you can be upset with a deal like this. You got a newer computer at the compromise of losing AG screen. Buy an anti glare screen protector and be done with this nonsense. The glossy version is not even that bad. Just turn up the brightness