Apple Store replaced my out-of-warranty iPhone for free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MmmPancakes, Feb 28, 2010.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Hi guys. I had a great experience at the Apple Store at The Domain in Austin that I thought you would appreciate. I blogged about it here, but here's the gist:

For at least a week, the earpiece speaker on my iPhone 3G started going out intermittently. I could switch over to speaker mode just fine but otherwise I could rarely hear the person on the other end when the phone was to my ear.

I took my phone in and consulted with a genius (Thanks, Lauren!) and she took my phone to a room in the back to inspect it. She came back a few minutes later and said it appeared that while the internal wires were Ok, she could tell the speaker was damaged. In addition, she noticed a 2.5-inch crack down the back, which was probably the result of me dropping it.

Even though my iPhone was three months out of warranty, she gave me a new phone. No cost. The whole experience took about 20 minutes.

I can sometimes be critical of Apple, but this was above and beyond. I'm buying all my Apple product from the Domain Apple Store now no matter what.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I wonder what the protocol is for replacing phones? I've heard many stories of people being turned away, or having to pay quite a bit of money for repairs on their iPhones. I wonder how or why some Geniuses are able to go above and beyond for some customers?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats and thanks for sharing a great story!

Take good care of your new baby!

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I definitely will! I'm keeping this one in its case and will take extra precaution to protect the speaker. I'm very grateful for the experience.

5. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

I also ot a free replacement. It's the iPhone I'm using now. I dropped it so the screen came off so when the genius tried to remove the screen with hissuction it just popped rift off so he thought it was his own fault. I then got my crappy ass old 3G replaced for free. Out of warranty

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice to hear some companys still care about the customer and not just their pockets.

7. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Agreed.

8. murano macrumors member

A few months ago my iPhone 3g was replaced thrice (in warranty) but the replacement phones had issues too. In the end, Apple gave me a New iPhone 3gs and on top of that refunded $75 for my applecare.

9. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this why Apple is ranked #1 in customer service and stuff like that?

They replaced my 3G a few months ago, as well. No questions asked.

10. housee macrumors newbie

i just had my speaker at the bottom of my phone go out just recently.
    tried to restore it and put it to sleep, nothing.
    i hope they replace it even though that speaker is garbage anyways.
    phones a year n a half old, a replacement would be nice since i cant afford a new one if something happens to go wrong with it in the next couple of months.

11. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

You may check some local repair shops, too. There are a few here in Austin who do very affordable repairs on issues like speakers, batteries, screens etc. Google and see.

12. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

I think every major metro area is going to have a few shops that do iPhone repair. Expect to pay about half of whatever Apple charges with results at least as good. I've taken apart some of the $199 OOW refurbs and seen some absolutely terrible workmanship.