Apple Store visit, should I swap back in my stock parts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjp14, Oct 1, 2010.

1. jjp14 macrumors member

The only thing i've replaced so far is the HDD with an SSD. Everything went smoothly during and after the install. I'll be heading to the store this weekend to check out problems with my FireWire port (I think the port is dead). Anyway, I know the HD is user replaceable and even has instructions in the manual, but I'm just wondering if they'll somehow pin the replacement against me and void my warranty. I know swapping out the HD is no big deal, i'm just very careful and anal when inside any laptop that I prefer to not do it unless it's really needed.

Any other people have experiences when taking their MBP to the apple store and the tech notices you changed out the HD and/or RAM?

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

3. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

No, just have them note there's a SSD in it. When you get it back, don't leave the store till you've verified it's in it.

Or you could just swap it out :)

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Last time I went to the Genius Bar for my MBP, I told them that I had upgraded the HDD. At first, they gave me a little trouble by saying things like "you did this yourself?" But, the only reason why they would not be okay with that is because I look like im 12ish (I am 14 and have a lot of experience with computer hardware). But, at the end of the appointment, they did not care, because the issue that I was having had nothing whatsoever to do with the HDD.

5. x0r-lord macrumors member

That HDD is a User-Servicable part
    you can Change RAM, HDD, and removable batteries.

although, legally, under exclusions and limitations, of their own applecare policy http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/cpuwarranty.pdf

they wont cover:
    " (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);"

so you can do it, and if it works your warranty continues, but if it doesn't work, they can void your warranty... they also wont take responsibility if they accidentally wipe your data.

I'd swap it out, so they can't try and screw you by claiming the two problems are related. and its really quite easy

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I would swap it out and install OS-X Fresh on the regular old HDD.

1. They can't give you trouble if it is stock. (Even though they technically shouldn't anyway)
    2. If after installing a clean install of OS-X your FW port starts working... then you know it was a Software issue and you don't need to bring it in at all.

7. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I have a question. So because they are always looking for ways to void your warranty if you got a HDD from best buy and asked them to install it will they charge you a crazy fee? Better yet will they say they only install the overpriced apple brand HDD's?

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They'd have a hard time finding a user replaced SSD as the root of a firewire problem. If they try and claim it, you can escalate it and likely get your way anyway.