Apple store visit...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by americaroma, Oct 21, 2012.

1. americaroma macrumors regular

My brother walked in to an apple store to buy me an iphone 5, he wasnt lucky enough to find any on stock but the guy at the store hinted him that tommorrow they were gonna have some. And he told him that there was no problem with selling the phone as ''device only'' BUT that he would need to provide his number so that he could activate the phone before selling it to him...

I dont understand, my brother dosent even have att and i was planning to use the phone with another carrier here in mexico. He is paying the full non contract price.

Could he buy the device only without having to provide anything or the phone being activated?

IF so, what is the correct way to ask for the phone and not confusing the apple store rep?

2. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Do they even GET new stock on a sunday night?

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Maybe an early Monday morning delivery. As for the rest of the OP's questions, I can't help there. :(

4. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

I dont know, but aperently they were going to have some in stock either on monday or tuesday. Iam not really familiar with how apple stores handle that stuff.

5. acidflame macrumors member

Just point on the ipod they use to check him out. It will say device only and it wont ask for anything but payment

6. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, they use an ipod to check out the iphone? i feel dumb for asking but i dont understand...

My brother was thinking of telling the guy that the phone wasnt for him and that it was a gift for someone else therefore he didnt have a number... I just hope they sell him the phone without any problems :confused:

7. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Buying a new iPhone 5 without having a carrier means it would be unlocked. They aren't selling unlocked 5's yet in the US. You could do that with a 4/4S, but not with the 5. Did your Brother say it wasn't for him? What service do you have/use in Mexico? Just have your Brother give Apple your number. If they say they can't sell it to him because of where the phone is being used, then I guess you can just go online and buy it yourself. I'm not sure why you didn't do that already :confused:

Found this LINK

you can buy the non commitment price on ATT which is without contract, , then ask them to unlock it. However you have to be their previous customer.

here is on the eligiblity of unlocking iphone:

General eligibility requirements for unlocking iPhone
    AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
    The person requesting the unlock is:
    A current AT&T customer.
    A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
    The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.
    All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
    The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.
    Additional information about iPhone unlocks
    (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

8. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

when you buy something at the APPLE store, they use an actual ipod as a "cash register"

9. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure but i think ive seen some posts here in the forum where people have actually bought the phone as device only without having to actually provide an att line, i know its linked with att to my understanding it is unlocked until you actually put an att sim on it an conect to itunes, at that moment it does become locked to att. So its not an official unclock phone but it still unlocked.

Now what confuses me is some people saying ''buy device only and thats it'' and then posts like yours... I really apreciate the help, and really thank you all for taking the time and try to help me with my questios. But has anyone actually bought the iphone 5 without as device only just paying the money and walking away without having to provide att information?

10. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

Yes 4 times at apple store and each time was full price and when I got home I got a nice surprise . All 4 were unlocked upon iTunes activation

11. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

They will get shipments tomorrow but they won't be on sale till Tuesday most likely. At least that is the way it goes here. From all I have been told, they never sell same day shipments.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

the Verizon one is compatible with most networks outside of the US and inside, is unlocked straight from the box
    The AT&T one is compatible with some and locked
    take your pick.

13. jrz macrumors member

I did this just yesterday. I showed up an hour before the store opened, and they sold me an at&t version at full price. I took it home, did not even turn it on, plugged it into itunes and immediately received the “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked” message. Simplest thing ever.

At the Apple store, you don’t have to say anything other than you would like to buy an at&t version at full price. Unknowledgeable sales staff could possibly try to tell you the phone is locked into at&t, which it is, technically, but so easy to unlock in iTunes. Good luck,

14. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys, yes aparently iphones get there today but wont be on sell till tuesday, hope my brother dosent have any problems buying the phone this way, sounds so easy and with common sense hopefully the sales staff undertands this. Again thank you all for your tips and time.