Apple Store: "We will also be opening early tomorrow (3/16) morning"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nickpro, Mar 15, 2011.

1. nickpro macrumors regular

So I showed up at around 7:00 AM at my local Apple Store this morning and got in line behind about 20 people. About 5 minutes later an Apple employee came out and announced that there would be no iPads today. The only reason I showed up was because another employee from the same store told me that they would be opening early (to presumably sell iPads, though he didn't explicitly say that).

A bit ago I decided to call the same store again and see what their response to this would be and to my surprise was told to "check back tomorrow and we will also be opening early like today".

Obviously she didn't confirm that they would have them in tomorrow, but I am interpreting this to mean that they screwed up today and would definitely have them in tomorrow. I really can't see them opening early on a second day in a row and not having them. Thoughts?

2. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me this morning, the worker came out an told us that they were supposed to get it Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, so to come back tomorrow.

I'd like to hope that I can get my iPad and put this all the rest, but I have a sinking feeling that the 9AM is a general opening for the whole iPad roll out, and not specifically to allow new shipments to be sold to people on a line.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm getting that "boy who cried 'wolf'" feeling...

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

I think many of these employees who are telling people to come back early are in anticipation of receiving stock. When they don't receive stock, they are stuck, so I see this trend of "check back tomorrow" reoccurring over the next few weeks.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

The Westfarms store said they were opening early for the rest of the week. I wasn't lined up there this morning, but someone else posted from there that they had zero iPads this morning.

7. Middiebear macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

They pulled the same stunt at the mall I went to...

Showed up at 8:00 am and was one of the first in line and told everybody to line up with no guarantee at all of any iPads in-stock.

They said the daily shipment should come by noon but the iPad 2 may not even be in the shipment.

So happy I decided to wait the couple of hours because around 11:30 they came out and announced there were very few limited iPads to sell.

Picked up a white Verizon 32GB and went home a happy person.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

No. I'm not waiting around every morning if they may or may not have them. It's silly they're opening early for a product they don't have. Good luck to everyone who does wait.

9. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

I wonder if that means that they did indeed get iPads today but just later, and just a few.

Now I'm wondering if the Apple worker that turned me away at 8 AM was not being entirely honest about getting iPads in.

10. OceanView macrumors 65816

I predict they will say "check back tomorrow" from now on until demand comes down.
    People have lives to live so just order online and just wait.

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Get there EARLY! I got to my store at 6 and got one.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

How much work time or school time can you blow-off doing this?

Yikes!

13. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

To an extent, it makes no difference. I was 2nd in line, but there was no inventory.

14. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

Same here, was 1st in line waited 5 hrs only to be told no ipads available today, come back tomorrow....what a way to run a business. Totally pissed! They should have handled this like the iphones, reserve and pick up.

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I think there was just a mix up somehwere in all this. Its definitely not good business (eventhough Apple could probably afford it) to lead people on. if they are leading people on, thats just a shame.

16. clemsonfan macrumors newbie

Have you been able to get a sense of when they do expect more in - in Greenville?

17. Justinm59, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

Justinm59 macrumors regular

I'd like to know this as well

18. clemsonfan macrumors newbie

Man, that's salt in an open wound, I'm at work and that Target is 2 minutes from my house...Highly doubt they'll be there when I get off work

19. Justinm59 macrumors regular

Well good luck, I called and they told me they didn't have any but it didn't even sound like they checked. Thats why I edited my post.

20. bigwinnerx macrumors member

After reading the frustrations of (most) everyone on the board, and deciding I wasn't going to join in, I just put in my order for a 32gb Black Wifi from apple.com. 4-5 weeks, whatever. I can go back to not reading about line reports and store inventories!

21. clemsonfan macrumors newbie

They show stock that's not on the floor yet if memory serves me correctly. Here's to hoping I can convince someone to scavenge through their stock room this evening.

22. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I rechecked there website it switched back to out of stock...

23. bmwsport macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ditto same thing here in Pasadena CA. So pissed. At least some location managers had the decent courtesy to say there were no iPads at 7am. Here, we waited till 8:45 obey to be told there's one only. While the rest of us (75+) went home empty handed

24. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

I went to the Apple Store in Thousand Oaks, CA around 8 AM. Was probably 15th in line. They came out a little after 10 AM to tell us no iPads today. Pissed. I'm hoping for tomorrow, though.

25. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Wow wtf. Same thing happened to my friend this morning.