Apple Store worker says you can buy iPad even with no reservation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by katyoshi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I called my local Apple Store, all three stores and all the workers I spoke with told me the same thing, "It's going to a crazy but wonderful day thats full of big surprises" and they said that if I was to arrive before 9AM, stand in a (theoretical) line, even though I did not make a reservation or pre-order, I will be able to purchase the iPad. Is this true? I know they will only hold reserved iPads until 3PM, but to be able to purchase an iPad at 0900 without pre-order reservations?

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Yeah, they'll have those on top of the reserved ones.

3. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. I just canceled my Road Runner service ($45/month+RR Turbo $10/month) from Time Warner Cable and bought the two time deal from Clear Wimax for $55 for a home modem and a wireless mobile broadband 4G modem and the guy included a Clearspot (I know it's made by cradlepoint) for $100! I was then thinking ok, I got a home based modem, and with the mobile modem with Clearspot, I can connect up to 8 devices on the 4G wimax coverage area which is practically covering everywhere in Honolulu, Hawaii. I tested the speeds in Mililani, Aiea, and Honolulu. I've got 4-7mbps during the day, and 7+mbps at night with the mobile modem. At home, I've got speeds from 5mbps and the highest I got many times was 10-13mbps. Plenty speed for watching The Pacific on HBO.

With this, I decided to go with 64gb-WiFi only since I'm also stuck on the two year contract but hey, for home and mobile for a price of one, great! Currently I'm a graduate family nurse practitioner student at a university and this would do good when I'm in outer island clinics such as in Lanai. I plan to use this for health care clinic use, entertainment of movies and music, take with me on travel, along with my clearspot.

What do you guys think?

4. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Which one are you going to Kahala or Ala Moana? I was thinking Waikiki but parking succcks!

Really clearwire could get 8-10mbps?

5. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to the Ala Moana one since it's the closest to me. I'm coming from Mililani side and I can cruise around Ala Moana shopping center for a while thereafter. Yes, I get speeds like that with Clear, but sometimes at certain times to the day, when I test it on speedtest.net or speakeasy, I get less than 4mbps. What's funny is my internet is still fast. I saw tips on how to get the best signal is put the modem near a window and at the highest point of your home. But yeah, I'm going this Saturday to wait in line for one. I was hesitant on buying the WiFi only model and thought, since I have a wifi hotspot, I will make use of my wifi only ipad and also connect my mbp, and iphone 3gs to.

6. takodude macrumors newbie

clear.com

Hi Katsuyoshi,
    I was just doing some research on clear and was wondering how you're liking it. I hear so many poor reviews that I'm a little hesitant. I'm also interested in getting the home and on the go and I would like to use it with my Ipad.
    Thanks,
    Tako

7. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

It really depends on where you live and if your area is covered.. I would say it actually is GREAT if you're in their coverage area. I would go for the 3G/4G clearspot if you plan for that to be your only ISP and nobody at home will be using the internet. Otherwise, you can get the bundle home + mobile and pay one price. you'd have to upgrade to get the 4Gplus so you'll be paying about $65/month for home+mobile internet which is pretty good still yet considering you get luxury of 3G if 4G isn't covered in certain places..

8. takodude macrumors newbie

Hi Katyoshi,
    Thanks for your response. I live near the convention center so the map looks like the coverage should be great. I also want to get rid of my roadrunner. I was thinking of just getting the 4G one since I heard the 3G is up to 5GB per month. And I plan to use it only in the Honolulu area where the map shows it has great coverage (so 4G should be available whenever I use it). If I only get the 4G one, can I use the on the go one the same time my wife is using the home one?
    Thanks

9. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes definitely. That's the whole point of having two devices. My family uses my home modem "at home" :D and whenever I go to town, UH Manoa, then I use my 4G clearspot. Even though UH Manoa provides Wi-Fi for students, sometimes it gets clogged up early in the day and I like to use my 4G clearspot. :rolleyes: It's unlimited data usage for 4G. I think 5GB is plenty if you're going to be in "non-covered areas" a lot and will be using it only for browsing web, emails, social networking, the light stuff. I don't like road runner as they charge a lot and expect you to pay nearly $60 extra for their on-the-go modem. For me, Clear is fast enough to stream netflix/hulu/apple tv movies and lots of other media at home and yet, I'm in Mililani Mauka where they're going to finish building a tower up here by the end of this year. :D so for now, I'm getting "left over" feeds from towers down the road by McDonalds.

10. takodude macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your help. So even if the majority of the time I will be in the 4G green zone, you would still recommend the clearspot 4G plus to get 3G also? How do you like your iPad? It will be my first Apple.

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Any of you have experience on the Big Island with connectivity?

I'll be moving to Hilo, Hawaii later this year along with my iPad. (oh, and my wife and son.) ;)

12. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Check their website. don't forget to hide your wife, hide your kids! lol :D