Apple Stores: Australia, Canada, UK

ssamani

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2002
UK
About Time

About time for the UK. Some of their partners here are still displaying beige Macs in their displayes (e.g. Harrods). The brand needs firming up here.

As for Nextbyte acquisition. I was in Australia earlier this year and needed someone to look at my TiBook and they didn't really seem interested in providing support. An Apple take over would probably be a good thing.

Sanjay

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
This is going to slaughter some of the better (smaller) resellers and line the pockets of big sucky resellers -- NextByte, MyMac etc. No doubt Apple will pick up quite a few nextbyte stores, if not the whole chain.

Apple Australia resellers currently make under 6% margin on Apple Hardware -- this will definetly kill the smaller resellers :(

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Re: About Time

Originally posted by ssamani
I was in Australia earlier this year and needed someone to look at my TiBook and they didn't really seem interested in providing support.
Hardly surprising -- it's nextbyte, they shift boxes. That's what they do to stay afloat.

Other resellers like Metek in Melbourne who make tech support their business will help you out.

Also, NextByte don't have the proper accreditations to open up your laptop. They have to ship it to another dealer, pay for the service, whack a nice fat juicy nextbyte margin on top and give it to you. If you're wanting free warranty service on your 1 year international warranty, they will tell you to piss off (hopefully in nicer terms, but not necessarily -- service there also sucks).

Apple still doesn't allow non-educational purchasers to get 3 year international warranty (even if you've got your checkbook ready). For anyone who travels with your laptop, I'd really encourage you to write a letter to steve jobs, complaining about this out-dated policy.

-j

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Great news about the UK!!! I live in the second largest city in the UK + I dont know where to go to see Macs unless I go to PCWorld! Thats how bad it is! Even PCWorld does not show all products (they are better than they used to be).

sharvari

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2002
I assume they mean more stores, not stores. There are apple stores in Australia, i was in one a few hours ago.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by sharvari
I assume they mean more stores, not stores. There are apple stores in Australia, i was in one a few hours ago.
'Apple Centres' are not technically 'Apple Stores'

I say: bring it on.

Apple could use some more exposure in Oz.
(Not to mention New Zealand, hell even Iceland has a 'Switch' ad!)

i_b_joshua

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Originally posted by j763
This is going to slaughter some of the better (smaller) resellers and line the pockets of big sucky resellers -- NextByte, MyMac etc. No doubt Apple will pick up quite a few nextbyte stores, if not the whole chain.

Apple Australia resellers currently make under 6% margin on Apple Hardware -- this will definetly kill the smaller resellers :(
if apple also "aquire" the staff of nextbyte nothing will change. a lot of them are as thick as two planks. i'll be sticking with the single shop reseller i'm using now.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Falleron
Great news about the UK!!! I live in the second largest city in the UK + I dont know where to go to see Macs unless I go to PCWorld! Thats how bad it is! Even PCWorld does not show all products (they are better than they used to be).
Did you see the main section of the Sunday Telegraph? It had a full page PCWorld ad with the heading like "There's never been a better time to buy Apple" with a huge eMac pic, and iMac, FP iMac and iBook - I couldn't believe my eyes - they must have either seen the light or their margins have improved.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
UK apple store, Woo Hoo! <<Homer voice>>

I bet it's in london though :mad:

Still to far to travel just to browse around, maybe they'll shock me and make on in Preston or Bolton or something later on.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by gotohamish

Did you see the main section of the Sunday Telegraph? It had a full page PCWorld ad with the heading like "There's never been a better time to buy Apple" with a huge eMac pic, and iMac, FP iMac and iBook - I couldn't believe my eyes - they must have either seen the light or their margins have improved.
I had not seen that Advert in the Telegraph. The problem with PCWorld now is that they dont have a clue really about Macs. They have them on display + people look at them, but they dont know what they are talking about most of the time.

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Sort of good news - however London is already very well served by resellers (in the Tottenham Ct Road area at least).

On a similar note (or not) - you can't seem to go anywhere in London at the moment without a seeing an Apple Ad - I guess working at Angel helps (it being Macexpo the next few days), but they seem to be pushing iPod and the 'They Just Click' iMac & digi cam ad all over the place (Tube, Ad hoardings). There's even a giant iMac hoarding at the TCR end of Charing Cross Road on the scaffolding around some shop...

It's great to stand near a giant iPod whilst actually listening to one...;)

jx

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
Head to head in MS Land...

Apple is also opening a store in Bellevue, WA, about 5 miles from the Microsoft campus. It's about time! ;-)

biscuit

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
London, UK
This is good news for the UK, or more specifically for London and the South East. I'd say its a dead cert any UK Apple Store would be in London (OK for me). I'd imagine other UK stores being kinda slow in coming after that, if at all. Did anyone see the item on RI:SE about hardly any Americans even knowing where the UK was? Most questioned thought is was in the Middle East! London, however, came out much better with many more knowing where it is.

That Telegraph thing sounds interesting, but basically PC World don't know enough to convince first time buyers/switcers nor do they particularly want to. Still, much better than they used to be. TCR does have lots of Mac resellers who'd be somewhat affected by an Apple Store, but none are solely Apple AFAIK. It'd still be the centre for electronics in London so they'd keep afloat.

Anyway, lets hope its true...

biscuit

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by j763

Tough. I hope they all die. The more Apple sells direct, the cheaper Macs will be!

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Well, there's the "Applecentre" in Nottingham Broadmarsh, and http://www.ghc.co.uk]Gordon Harwoods[/URL] are like 'local' to me 'n' stuff :)

Other than that, yeah.. things are kinda lacking....

Tryme

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
Sydney
Originally posted by Nebrie

Tough. I hope they all die. The more Apple sells direct, the cheaper Macs will be!

Nebrie, you need to wake up - if you think Apple resellers disappearing & Apple selling direct will bring down prices, think again. Removal of competition will prove the opposite. At the moment the Australian Mac community get cheap prices because the resellers give unsustainable discounts to keep market share in an increasingly smaller market with margins that are continually being reduced by Apple - why do u think so many of them go bust?!

As for Apple acquiring Next Byte stores, this is one of the most insane things I've read in recent times, obviously put forward by someone that has absolutely no idea of the Australian Apple channel and how Next Byte operate - it will NEVER happen.

Apple stores will come to Australia one day - but they will not be Next Byte stores.