Apple Stores in my area sell Student editions of software under restricted conditions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thermodynamic, May 29, 2010.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

My local Apple store had out Student/Teacher editions of CS5 software (Design Standard, Web Premium, and Photoshop Extended).

I am a student and I had my credentials on me.

I was about to buy, and the employee had to talk to his manager for some reason.

Apparently, despite these products being on the shelves, they will only sell Student/Teacher licenses when bundled with NEW Macs.

Why?

He claimed Apple stores receive these student/teacher versions in limited supply.

Seems reasonable, but if these packages were supposed to be in the back office, with a placard under one of the titles reading (paraphrased) "Student/teacher edition, you must have qualifying student ID".

Also, the employee, for being so shrewd, didn't bother to collect the SIX boxes in full view on the shelves. Which is odd, he said the software is supposed to be in the back office.

Is it normal for Apple stores to carry Student/Teacher editions of software titles but to sell them ONLY for those who buy new Macs?

2. nickali macrumors newbie

Apple store in my area have the boxes out with two prices on the back. One just for the Student/Teacher software and the other $100 cheaper if purchased with a new computer.

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Good to know, thanks! I do feel better. :)

On the plus side, there's always Journeysed.com or ordering directly from Adobe.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...are those cheaper than the apple student/teacher pricing?

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Apple is cheaper if you buy the software with a new Mac. ($349.00 = $100 discount)
    Otherwise, you can just purchase it for $449.00 from Adobe.

BTW:
    no serial number is provided with the boxed software.
    Instead, you will have a product code that must be entered into a form on the validation website. Takes a few days to receive the serial number.
    Download and use the trial while you are waiting for the validation process to complete. Don't bother trying to find the Mac Acrobat Pro Trial; doesn't exist.
    (it ships with CS5 on a separate DVD, and has its own serial number)

6. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Cool; will be doing that very shortly!

That definitely does tally into the salesperson's claims about 'limited supply' and 'only with purchase of a new Mac'. He did explain the serial number situation as well, and that I would need to provide my academia proof as well (not a problem on that).