Apple stores iPhone opening day hooplah

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johndallas999, Oct 2, 2012.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Does anyone else think it's EXTREMELY cheezy (geeky, nerdy, etc) how when a new iPhone goes on sale the employees are clapping/high fiving the customers as they come in to buy the phone? That would totally embarrass me if I was walking in and they were making such a hugh production. I mean, WTF are they clapping and high fiving about anyway, usually you applaud because someone has done something great but walking in to buy a phone? Come on.

2. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Nordstrom does the same thing during their holiday events. It's kinda weird, but it does help the "party" atmosphere.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You wouldn't be embarrassed to sit in line outside of an Apple Store overnight, but you'd be embarrassed to get a high-five from an employee?I don't understand the logic.

For the people that do this, a lot of them tend to do it for the experience of being there when the store opens. Otherwise people would just pre-order. Part of the experience of being there is the excitement that goes along with it. So how is it bad for the Apple Store employees to play up that excitement?

5. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I was offered some pot in line but decided against it since it was my lunch break.

6. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I've never witnessed it first hand, I probably never will but I'm not one to judge anyone else's good time.

It's like the best possible way to show off capitalism. Company makes product, consumer is excited to buy product, consumer buys product, company applauds and salutes (high 5, etc.) consumer, consumer gets product, company gets money, yay.

7. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No I wouldn't sit in line either. I'm just saying that those videos of people walking in like they're rock stars to buy an iPhone is pretty silly. :eek:

8. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I don't like being the center of attention like that either.

A couple years back me and my dad went to get new iMacs and we chose a bad day to go (the original iPads release day). Me and my
    Father still had to leave the store with people cheering on both sides (we went at opening) and it was just awful.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Since you've never done it, you might not want to judge others. My point was that if someone is willing to wait in line all night to have the experience of being there when the store first opens, they're most likely not going to mind getting a high-five. It's supposed to be an exciting atmosphere. Let people have their fun.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

No. I think it's awesome. Apple has a reputation of rolling out the red carpet for their customers. It's one of the reasons they are so much more successful than other retail businesses. Think different.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It's right along the lines of all the fake red carpets- cameras flashing- that are out there now.

It's like all the kids on the soccer team getting a 'participation' trophy.

The way into peoples hearts these days is vanity.

12. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

My local AT&T store did that on release day of the iPhone 5.. I just smiled and got my phone and left. They even gave us water and snacks.

13. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Well it's not a reflection of the people going in, it's the sillyness of the Apple Geninues making such a huge production. Anyway that's just my opinion.

14. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I think you nailed it. Seems like people these days require so much "look at me attention".

15. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I went to my local Apple Store on release day, we got Starbucks coffee and Krispy Kreme donuts ;).

OP, I just looked away as the apple staff ran down the queue high fiveing, it's easy to avoid if you aren't inclined to that sort of thing.

Arrived about 5:30am, was done by about 9:30 and have my unlocked iPhone 5 (unlike a large number who preordered or tried to buy one after the 21st).

16. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Considering that this happens at more than one store, I'm sure that it's decided at a management level or it might even be something that Apple wants the employees to do. So I don't think that it's silly, because employees doing their job isn't silly.

People who go on launch day are excited, they're pumped, they go for the experience. I think it's great that Apple doesn't just act 'ho-hum, just another day'.

17. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

This is what they do for a living. I see no need for it either but would never make fun of what they do.

Sounds like you have the problem. How does this hurt you?:rolleyes:

18. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I have been to the iPad 1, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 releases on launch day, as well as one store in Melbourne on opening day, and love the way the staff get the crowd hyped up. It's fun, It's not hurting anyone and I dont see a reason to change it.

19. leenak macrumors 68020

I've only worked in office environments but often people can get goofy for various reasons. It is just not something the general public would see. Work doesn't always just have to be serious business.

Also, I don't dress up for halloween but many people do. I think that is a bit cheezy but hey they enjoy it. And even though I don't dress up, I love all our trick or treaters and I try to play it up with them. It is just about being goofy for a day or a few hours or whatever.

Sometimes it is ok to be a bit cheezy.

20. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Waiting hours in line for an iPhone: meh, reasonable enough.
    Waiting hours in line for Chipotles or Krispy Kreme to open: I can't fathom.

21. BFizzzle, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

same stuff was happening last night when i wen to get my copy of RE6 at midnight :p

it happens. oh well.

22. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Just wait till new Black Ops. LOL!

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

LOL yeah

im more in the boat for halo 4 :)

24. richmds macrumors regular

Would you prefer waiting for hours or overnight in line for a new whatever to then enter the store where people are stone faced, take your ticket, hand you your product and say "next person in line!"

I think that experience is available at BestBuy.