Apple Stores out of AT&T 3G and NOT getting more?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mattstkc, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I've seen on a couple threads that some stores have a good shipment of 50 or so devices but NO AT&T 3Gs. I'm trying to get an AT&T 3G 64GB Black.

I'm planning on heading to Lincoln Park, Chicago Apple Store at about 6am tomorrow to be somewhere near first but I don't want it all to be in vain.

Everyone lining up over the past few days; have AT&T iPads been in Apple Stores at all?

Thanks in advance for the intel

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Gotta attribute a lot of this to the 18 SKUs. There's now way they're making equal quantities of each SKU, so there's definitely going to be a couple of weeks until they get enough reliable data to figure out which models sell best and where to allocate their resources.

3. gnguyen macrumors newbie

I lined up today in front of Emeryville, CA's Apple Store. They got a shipment of 30 in, all Verizon 3G models.

4. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

yeah I just don't want to spend another 4 hours plus in line (I think I'm up to at least 12 total) to be told "oh no AT&T today". It's just absurd really. Even a 32 AT&T would be fine, I was getting the 64 because I have a lot of movies but realistically I don't need them all on there at once but still, I've seen at least 5 posts saying "yeah my store didn't have AT&T today. Hoping to find out that's not always the case.

5. seanpholman macrumors regular

So far my experience has been only Verizon and WiFi in the mornings in the Orange County, California area.

--Sean

6. goMac macrumors 603

The longer it's been, the more likely they'll show in the next shipment.

7. Virtute macrumors member

I believe Apple is deliberately diverting these shipments because the AT&T models are the 3G models that are going to be sold everywhere else in the world. With the international launch in only nine days, they have to have a lot of stock going towards that. I believe Apple is assuming the US can get by on mostly Verizon for now.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why wouldn't apple sell the 3G anymore? Doesn't make sense.

9. No1up macrumors regular

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wait a week or two, then you should be able to find one.
    Or go for the VZW. I've been quite happy with mine.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's not an "anymore", they just don't have them today. Like I said above, with 18 SKUs, even if they get 20 or 30 in on a given day, odds are someone will be disappointed.

12. rritterson macrumors 6502

Sure, it could be coincidence and an 18 SKU problem, but the GSM 3G models are also last to ship for first-wave online orders too. If they were merely diverting stock from stores to international, I'd hope they'd at least address the first wave of online orders first, but maybe not.

I think this is due to a prediction/actual demand mismatch. Many more people ordered AT&T models on day one than I expected based on the number of wifi vs 3g iPad1's I've seen (I live in SF-- there are a LOT). I think that A) the GSM models are hot on the gray market and in canada and B) more people are viewing the iPad as a full on laptop replacement and are comfortable with 3G, whereas before it was a home/convenience device and you'd lounge around with Wifi.

13. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i can definitely see that. good assessment.

14. KittyKatta, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

That makes sense.

Same situation in Vegas. All Verizon no ATT (and only 16GB WiFi). The crowd wasnt too happy either because many seemed to be from out of the country and probably hoping to bring a GSM model home.

15. kindaobsessed macrumors member

The guy right in front of me on launch day wanted a 32gb ATT .... They were out ... He was 6th in line, from reading threads and news it looks like Apple is being very stingy with ATT models.

16. kkrapul macrumors newbie

I was in line this morning at 700am in NY, before the store opened, the apple staff came outside saying there wasn't any at&t Ipad, seems a big deal to grab one of those, makes sense apple are keeping the stock for Europe...

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't think it's coincidence at all. Sat in line for 2 hours on launch night, got to the front and they had most models but NO ATT 3g's. Been at the store Tues and Wed morning and same thing, no ATT ones. I'll bet there is definitely a ATT 3g shortage.

18. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Why is everyone sweating AT&T so bad anyway? I thought AT&T sucked and Verizon was so much better.

I have an AT&T 3G 1st gen and I'm hoping to get a Verizon 2nd gen.

19. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

They had 32gb white ATT models at the Columbia, MD store this morning. That's what I got. That was the only ATT model they had. Had about 5 or 6 of them.

20. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Why not order from AT&T? I ordered a 16GB black on Sunday. The website said 14- 21 days. It shipped the next day & I am now typing on it :).

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

On launch day I was 10th in line at a very busy Apple Store and I got the last 64GB ATT Black they obviously don't have a lot of them.

22. ldobson macrumors regular

Because many of us need to be able to use our devices outside of the US. A Verizon iPad is worthless outside the US.

23. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Never had too much issue with ATT in my area, it's actually better than Verizon in a lot of spots. But it's a toss up for me, what is deciding me is that I have an unlimited ATT plan that's very nice for traveling.

24. mathewr macrumors 6502

r u serious. the cs people on att.com on saturday kept telling me 2 to 3 weeks!

25. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I've got the unlimited data plan, so I'm sticking with AT&T.