Apple Stores Selling iPhones for $199/$299 No Matter What!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apb509, Jul 2, 2008.

1. apb509 macrumors member

I just spoke with AT&T Store in Westfarms Mall in CT about beating the system.. He said using a friends iPhone for 3 days and upgrading on July 11th should work to get me the $199/$299 pricing.

He ALSO said somebody came in saying they were told by Apple employees at the store across the mall that they were selling phones for $199/$299 no matter what.

I called the apple store myself, and lo and behold, I was told the SAME THING. The employee said that they have no way of calibrating w/ AT&T systems and, as of what his store knows right now, will only be selling the iPhones for the Steve-Jobs-advertised $199/$299 pricing point.

The AT&T store manager said there's really no way the company could go back and charge me the extra $200 for getting the iPhone for the $199/$299 price despite not being upgrade eligible if I were to buy it from Apple for a cheaper price.

Can others call their Apple stores to see if this is what they're being told as well!?!

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

if this is the case, there will be LONG LINES at the Apple Stores.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Let's hope this doesn't get out. :cool:

IT NEVER HAPPENED! :D

4. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Calling Apple Stores doesn't verify anything. We all just have to wait and see...

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Won't the long lines at Apple stores be AFTER someone shows you can unlock the phone?

6. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

7. drb6 macrumors regular

Really? Wouldn't they just be able to use the credit card you offered them for AT&T service to charge the additional 200? Although that would mean apple was selling at a discounted price while AT&T was making the difference on an item they didn't buy directly from Apple. Free $200 profit for them which doesn't sound right either.

Either way, this sounds too good to be true. We'll have to see...

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

So apple are going to sell at the subsidised price, let you walk out of the store without a contract.. and have no means of recovering the extra money?

My BS detector just went into overload...

9. drb6 macrumors regular

Not necessarily, if this is true. For those AT&T customers who are not upgrade eligible, great way to circumvent the additional 200 they would have had to pay.

10. apb509 thread starter macrumors member

Don't shoot the messenger.. that's just what I was told. It seems plausible... Apple unbricks the phone but it can't be used until activated via iTunes @ home w/ AT&T. AT&T has no way to determine what price you bought it for.. for all they know you bought it off a friend for $1.

11. drb6 macrumors regular

Plus, there's a reason they're only being sold in stores. Why go through all that hassle of requiring people to come in when they can walk right out anyway without signing a contract.

12. Spongey817 macrumors regular

If that's the case, why wouldn't they be selling them online?

13. apb509 thread starter macrumors member

Every iPhone, no matter what circumstance you're in, requires a 2yr contract. From the day you activate your contract restarts. The iPhone might be set up so that it's able to be turned on but nothing can be done until activated via iTunes or a kiosk that connects to AT&T... and at that point AT&T has no means of charging an extra $200 because they don't know how much you paid for it. You could have bought it second-hand.. or been gifted it... or paid a cheap price from a friend who didn't want it.

14. yode macrumors 6502

This makes no sense. Obviously at&t would have an agreement with Apple that wouldn't allow the apple store to butcher their own sales.

15. Xiph0s macrumors regular

Negative

16. apb509 thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps this is Mr. Jobs attempt at covering his own butt for advertising the $199/$299 prices for everyone (w/ new 2-yr contract). It makes sense that a non-commitment price would be more... but doesn't quite make sense for current customers who aren't "upgrade eligible." Why does someone who just bought an iphone last month become eligible for the new phone when someone who bought a competing brand (i.e. RIM) last month isn't eligible for the cheap price. Such a flawed set of requirements

17. rudolf macrumors member

Here's the official pricing from AT&T. I would be very surprised if individual stores strayed from this.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25883

18. apb509 thread starter macrumors member

AT&T also PREVIOUSLY said that if you bought the iPhone before May 27th you were eligible for the 199/299 pricing... and that has since changed to if you bought an iPhone before July 11th.... seems like there might be some more changes ahead in the next 9 days.

19. yode macrumors 6502

Because those people bought their Blackberries subsidized with at&t. the original iPhone was not subsidized.

20. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

You're right - you'll get the iPhone at a new customer price with a new AT&T plan... whilst you still have to pay your old plan too because they're two separate transactions.

Not a good idea.

21. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

Im eligable beacuse I got the Iphone on launch day. BUT, if this is true, can I just go to the Apple Store buy the Iphone for 200 or 300 (same as I would pay at ATT) But then just put my current Iphone Sim card in it? and not pay the 30 bucks a month? Keep 200 texts for 20 bucks a month, I dont live in 3g area.

22. memesmith macrumors regular

Oh for gawds sake. I wish those who feel cheated by this would stop moaning. Iphone users and people new to AT&T get if for the cheap price. Those who are ineligable are those WHO ALREADY GOT MONEY OFF a subsidized phone!

23. apb509 thread starter macrumors member

2 months ago I switched to AT&T and bought a $30 cheapo refurb Blackberry for a reason--I wanted to switch to the iPhone--I was told then that everybody pays same price, I wouldn't get any sort of discount if I waited until if and when it actually came out--I think I have a legitimate right to be upset and feel frauded. I'm using a USED phone that I paid nothing for because I expected to have the new iPhone in my hands by mid-summer.. I didn't think paying another $200 would be in store. I had no issues waiting 3 more months on T-Mobile--not only would I have saved $200 off price of the iPhone, I would have been paying $40 less PER MONTH for those 3 months.

Absolute junk... I hope I manage to find a way around this.

24. ankushpatel macrumors regular

think about it

think about it logically how will apple be making money off the iphone then?

this is a load of bull, nothing is official as of yet, and half the time the stores just speak off things they dont know.