Apple Stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vincent.m, Feb 28, 2012.

1. vincent.m macrumors member

So whats everyones opinion of Apple Stores? And what about the staff? Are they helpful and smart, or useless and dumb? Do they try and push things on you or up-sell?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have my own Guru at Apple ( On the phone) I have only been in an Apple store once...Seemed well laid out and the staff were eager to help. I walked out with a MM, which I needed anyway. I find I get a more personal service from the Telephone, and have bought all my Macs, phones, iPads etc. that way over the years.

3. alight macrumors newbie

The staff are always competent and helpful, and I've never had any of them try to convince me to buy something I wasn't there for originally. My one and only semi-bad experience at the Apple Store happened when my Macbook charger cord frayed and started melting and spitting sparks and I had to convince the Genius that no, my dog had not chewed through the wiring (?!).

But other than that, the service has always been first rate. :)

4. cynics macrumors G4

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

While it's my favorite retail store, my local one is like Black Friday every time I go. Now I try to go within the hour that the store is open and the mall isn't. It's much better shopping experience when there's only one other customer in the store.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've been to over 7 different Apple stores throughout the US. Of all those, I have only had 1 bad experience, if you can call it that. The staff are well trained for the most part and have always answered any questions I've had. As for up selling, I've never had anything of the sort. Mostly, after I tell them what i'm trying to do they'll show me different products and explain what each can do. Then let me make my own decision.
    This service is what keeps me coming back.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Why would someone mark this down? The Apple Store closest to me at lunch hour (like restaurants) is like a scene from Soylent Green. On the weekend it's always 80+% full. We only have three in town so it's a matter of number of people who want to shop vs. square feet. I too, have learned that the hour they open or the hour they close I can roam the store unfettered.

For the years I've gone there, the staff has always been great except for one person who isn't there anymore. :)

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Hey, thanks for this. I wasn't saying anything bad about the store, it's just only 1 of 2 in my state so it's always busy.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hahah, don't we all wish. I swear I stop in one everytime I see one. My girl goes crazy because I always walk out with something!

10. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've gone to a few, and visit one regularly as it's in the mall where I walk for exercise. The people are competent, but you have to realize they can't know everything. Store is always clean, and often very busy. I once asked why there was no place to sit down and they said "if we did that people would never leave!" Genius people are good enough - they are not miracle workers and will really work to help you.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Generally good. Not as exciting as other electronics stores, since there aren't 50 different new products every month. Obviously one of their strengths though.

13. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I love the Apple Store. Everyone I have been in has been busy, the staff helpful, and never any pressure. I go in there every chance I get just because it feels good to get closer to 'the mothership' and is a fun experience. Funny thing, I would probably never buy at a store tho. No stores in Montana, and no sales tax, so it is better to mail order it in.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My experience with the Genius Bar has been excellent. On the 4 or 5 times that phone tech support has been unable to resolve my problem and suggested going to the store, the techs at the store (sorry, I get myself to call them Genius - just too cute for words) have been friendly, knowledgeable, patient and informative to this newbie. I think two factors have a major impact on ones experience: the store to which you have access (I'm sure some stores are run better than others - that means management's supervision of all personnel, including the techs), and the attitude of the customer (friendly and polite makes a big difference).

Please understand, B777Forever, I am not suggesting your negative experiences are your fault. Maybe the store(s) in which you had bad experience(s) were poorly managed, or the particular tech helping you was a jerk.:D

15. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I know that all genius bars aren't that bad. :p

The ones at my local mall are awesome, but the ones I experienced when I was visiting San Diego and Los Angeles just really left a bad taste for me.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

The only time I go into one of my local Apple Stores is to browse a new product that was released or I have a Genius appointment. Otherwise, I avoid Apple stores like the plague. My biggest qualm about the stores are that they are always overcrowded, which I absolutely hate. If I'm going to make a purchase (iPhone, MBP, iPad, Apple TV) I will resort to ordering the product online.

With that said, I have nothing but good things to say about their Genius associates. They know what they're talking about, and are very friendly.

17. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I like going in the Apple Store as long as it's outside peak hours. Definitely use the online reservation tool for the genius bar - it's worth the trouble of timing your arrival. I agree with the above posters that they're not pushy at all attempting to sell you other products in addition to what you're interested in. They'll give you a short spiel about AppleCare, but aren't even comparable in brashness to Best Buy or Staples in that regard.

18. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I stop at every Apple store I drive by. It isn't very often becuase the closet Apple stores areat least an hour away, and unlike some lucky people, I can't afford to buy something everytime I walk out of one.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

He said he walked out with something. He didn't say that he paid for it. <rimshot> Just kidding iphone1105. :D

20. JagsFan829 macrumors member

JagsFan829

hahaha.. nice.

It's definitely crowded in the Apple store.. we have one in town.. I don't go often, but when I do, I find it pretty fun. The staff is always very nice.

21. cynics macrumors G4

There's a brookestone next door to my local apple store. I prefer looking at the random gadgets in there. Lol

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The Apple store is a glorified playground (not saying this is a bad thing). I have been to about five or six Apple stores and, IME, I am always asked how I am doing and whether I need to be helped, but after that I am left alone to browse. I don't feel I have ever had anything pushed on me. They had always asked if I new about mobile me when buying a new iPhone, as well as Apple Care. This years is the first time I bought Apple Care, namely because they just launched Apple Care +, and every time I declined to purchase the salesperson left it at that. All that said, iPhones are the only Apple product I actually buy from Apple. The rest I get from Best Buy for their product replacement plans (accidental damage plan basically).

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

That's the beauty of the Apple Store and the Apple product. They know that if they let people just play, a good chunk of them will end up buying one of the products at some point. It's a cheap way to do marketing.

24. andyx3x macrumors 65816

It's hit or miss at any Apple Store. Just like every other business. Half the employees are great and half are horrible.

25. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I have always had good luck with the apple stores I've been in. The first time I ever went in one was a month or so after the original iPhone came out. I was picking up an iPhone for my aunt for my cousins birthday, and I had a problem with my credit card. The genius was patient, and waited for me to call and straighten it out even though the store was PACKED. ( turns out Chase put a fraud hold on it cuz I was swiping it like mad and they tought it had been stolen. Nope, just a birthday shopping spree)
    I now have an iPhone and every time I have taken it in they have been amazing. They replaced my water damaged phone for free! Even if I just go to browse they are friendly and helpful. No one has ever tried to pressure me into buying something I didn't want.
    Yeah, I defiantly drank the appl kool-aid!