Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the foreseeable future, Apple and Apple Authorized Service Providers will offer some customers who own a 16GB iPhone 5c that's in need of replacement a 32GB model instead.

Apple shared the new directive with Apple Authorized Service Providers this morning.

iphone5c.jpg

"Orders for whole unit service inventory of iPhone 5c (16GB) models may be substituted to iPhone 5c (32GB) models until further notice," reads the note that was sent out today.

Not all 16GB iPhone 5c replacements will be upgraded to 32GB devices instead, but some customers who take their iPhone 5c models in for repair for a manufacturing issue or other problem may see an upgrade to the larger capacity 32GB model.

Apple did not offer a reason why some 16GB iPhone 5c models are being replaced with 32GB models, but it's often due to available supply at any given time.

The iPhone 5c was first introduced alongside the iPhone 5s in September of 2013, and it's the only 4-inch iPhone that Apple has introduced with a colorful plastic exterior.

Apple stopped offering 16 and 32GB iPhone 5c models for sale in most countries in September of 2014, but continued selling an 8GB model until September of 2015. In India, the iPhone 5c was still available through February of 2016, but since that time, the iPhone 5c has been fully discontinued in all countries.

Article Link: Apple Substituting Some 16GB iPhone 5c Models In Need of Replacement With 32GB Models

Massy1989

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2016
It's for the better. It should have never existed.
I would have bought the device if it wasn't just a rewrapped iPhone 5...Colors are fun! Just look at the watch bands...

I know several people who bought an iPhone 5c and enjoyed it, but for anyone who wanted the fastest device available at the time...it wasn't really in the same category as the 5s.

Apple's aluminum obsession is quite annoying to me. But then again, does the material really matter all that much? The majority of people slap a case on their phone regardless.

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
My first iPhone was a 5c and I really liked that phone. Granted the A6 processor was starting to be a little sluggish with iOS 10 but I wasn't prepared to pay the premium for the 5s at the time. Otherwise it served me well for 3 years.

Reactions: Digger148

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
My wife had one of these for a short time. Out of all the iPhones we've had over the last eight years or so ranging from the 3GS to her current iPhone 7 that 5C was by far the worst of the bunch as far as build quality is concerned.

cyberdocwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Wisconsin
My wife and I have iPhone 5c units, and they work well for what we ask of them. My kids screwed mine up, and I had, with gritted teeth to upgrade iOS 10 in order to reset it. I would like to take it back to iOS 9 and let it be the zippy phone I had last year.

I don't need big speedy screens on a phone, and it has my beloved headphone jack that mates well with the Harmon Karden noise cancelling headphones I have. Still in my original OtterBox.

I use it as a phone, occasionally use Apple Maps to tell me where to aim my car, and it works nicely as a hotspot. That's all I want it to do. If I need more screen, I have an iPad or my MacBook Pro.

k3ith

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
New York, NY
My wife and I have iPhone 5c units, and they work well for what we ask of them. My kids screwed mine up, and I had, with gritted teeth to upgrade iOS 10 in order to reset it. I would like to take it back to iOS 9 and let it be the zippy phone I had last year.

I don't need big speedy screens on a phone, and it has my beloved headphone jack that mates well with the Harmon Karden noise cancelling headphones I have. Still in my original OtterBox.

I use it as a phone, occasionally use Apple Maps to tell me where to aim my car, and it works nicely as a hotspot. That's all I want it to do. If I need more screen, I have an iPad or my MacBook Pro.

Sounds bleak

GCHASE1995

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015

You can downgrade it 8.4.1 ‍♂️

cyberdocwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Wisconsin
You can downgrade it 8.4.1 ‍♂️

How?

I wasn't smart enough to save off the firmware, and Apple doesn't sign older versions. Do you have a link on how to do this? I would go to 8, and then try to get it to 9 from there. That is worth a shot.

And to the other fella, no my life is not bleak. Music sounds fine. I drive a non-bluetooth car. I am 25+ years out of high school. Phone is doing precisely what I want it to do: make calls, be a hotspot, and occasionally tell me where I need to drive. I don't need a $1K device (new iPhone X) to do this for me. Have other things to spend money on, like a fishing boat, or maybe a home IMAX theater.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Damn, my son has a 5C that the battery is dead. AppleCare is gone. Wonder if I should take it to the Apple store but at this point i guess should just recycle it and don't bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.