Apple Sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Helixc0de, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Helixc0de macrumors regular

I purchased a iPhone 4s White (32GB) back in October when it was first released. About 2 weeks ago my headset speaker and the accelerometer and the gyrometer all of a sudden stopped working. So I called Apple to try to resolve my issue. They closest Apple store is like 100 miles away so they shipped me out a box to replace my phone. My phone was in flawless condition, no scratches, dents, etc whatsoever. When they received my phone I got a call from Apple saying that they received the phone cracked and the "test" they ran confirmed that the phone was dropped. I told them that I always kept my phone in a case, screen protector and I always took excellent care of the phone. They told me that they are not responsible for accidental damage but I kept telling them that I did not damage the phone and the damage was most likely caused because of a accident while the phone was in the care of FedEx. So they said all they can do is return the phone if I pay shipping. So I was angry enough and was sick of all the arguing to I paid for the phone to be returned. I wait about a week and still no one. I call back Apple and they say the phone was delivered to me. I requested that you must sign for the phone when it was delivered. I request a delivery signature…they say that we cannot release that information for privacy issues. So now I'm out of a cell phone and a lot of time wasted on the phone. I will never purchase a product from Apple again.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Damn that sucks big time. Phone could have been damaged by fedex. Usually all shipments that come from apple require signature so someone had to have signed for it if it was sent back to you.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Dont Fed-ex provide transit insurance.

Its not Apples fault if something gets damaged in transit. perhaps taking pictures with dates and times stamped on it would have helped your case.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing your situation. I will warn you, you are sure to get some hateful responses just based on your thread title. FWIW, something like this could easily happen with any other company. Unfortunately I have been screwed a similar way by HP on a laptop we bought about five years ago. Nothing could be done, and I wrote it off as a loss ($500 wasn't worth getting courts involved for me). I hope you find happiness with whatever company replaces Apple in your life.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

This is why I always take time-stamped photos of the device in the packaging I'm shipping it before sending anything out.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Probably not. I can take a picture of any phone, any time. For that matter I can time stamp it. I can even take a picture of the legitimate item seconds before I smash it and package it up.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

By that rationale no insurance claim ever would be honored. That isn't the case

I do generally try to have the serial number visible in the shot (either on the box or on the screen)

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) OP, I am sorry for your loss
    2) This is a shipping, not an Apple issue (imagine if they replaced trashed phones - everyone would send in phones in this way).
    3) If it is important, in the future take pictures before packing box and insure the contents.

10. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Can you ask for a shipment tracking number? They should have given you that anyway. If not, tell then you need proof of shipping so that you can make an insurance claim or report it to the police.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I was speaking about Apple. In any case, the OP claims that the phone was shipped back, delivered, but he never got it. In this specific scenario, I don't see how any pictured would have helped at all. Sounds like FedEx won't even give him information, if all he says is true... My point is, fedex insurance should take care of the thing. I have filed a handful of insurance claims, not a single one requiring any sort of photos, likely because they are incredibly easy to fabricate anyway.

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Insurance should cover that scenario. Though Apple should cooperate with him and give him the proof of signature. I don't really understand what privacy issues there are about asking for proof of delivery to what's supposed to be your own house.

13. crazycanucks macrumors regular

You should change the title to Fed Ex sucks, as it looks like they are the ones to blame

Why blame Apple for a shipping issue?

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Apple's not giving him proof of delivery. Without that, he can't really take anything up with Fedex. So the thread should be Apple AND Fedex suck.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Right, what I am saying is that some picture he took likely wouldn't make a difference anyway. He didn't get his package. His package was shipped from Apple with a known value. He didn't receive the package. FedEx should take care of that... unless I am misunderstanding the scenario here?

16. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Something sounds really fishy here.

Long story short - my GF sent back a refurbished ipad she had gotten, and ordered a brand new ipad 3; they tried to claim they never received the ipad she sent back, but she got Fed-ex involved and they provided all the tracking/signing information, and it was all resolved.

To me it certainly doesn't sound like he's worked very hard to resolve the situation.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

OP, did they send you the return tracking number? If so, contact FedEx and file a claim. They will know who signed for it.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

A company should stand behind the shipper they use. We recently had about $500 in cufflinks, button up shirts, etc. delivered for my wedding (groomsmen's and my outfits). It must have been delivered to the wrong door, as we got a text saying that it was marked delivered. We called up Nordstrom, and they happily shipped out another package that day. Turned out our neighbor took the package in for us so it would not be left. When the second package arrived we called them back, explained what happened, and they gave us the necessary information for shipping the second box back. This all happened two weeks ago, so fairly recently. I would call that standing behind your shipper and outstanding customer service, myself. I don't regularly shop at Nordstroms, but after how they treated me, I might just be back.

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

A photo showing an intact phone and proper packaging should give some evidence that the phone was broken during transit. That would help when making an insurance claim. Is it surefire proof that he didn't have a sudden urge to take a hammer to the phone right after taking the photo? No. But wild speculation as such is not really enough to justify denying the claim in a legal sense.

With the phone being lost the photo might be irrelevant, but that doesn't change the fact that it's generally good practice to document as much as you can. If you really want to remove any possibility of a claim being denied, don't seal the package until you drop it off at FedEx and have the employee verify that the item you're shipping is indeed functional.

20. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Quite a few things seem a bit odd to me having re-read the original post.

The main one for me is that he's moaning about a lost cell phone and wasted hours on the phone to Apple. If it was me, the least of my worries would be the wasted time, having lost £600+. No mention of calling FedEx either. Even a post/zip code and address and date of posting should be enough to find the shipment details

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Personally, I find this to be the best advice, myself.

If the item was properly packaged and the box was intact upon arrival, I wouldn't think a whole lot of damage can come to an iphone. A box filled with peanuts with an iPhone candy center (lol) could probably be dropped from a couple stories and come out unscathed, don;t you think?

22. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Yep - one of two things:

Either it's not a legitimate claim (not saying it's not, but . . . )

Or he/she hasn't done everything they can to resolve it.

Starting to smell even fishier than it did before.

23. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

"my headset speaker and the accelerometer and the gyrometer all of a sudden stopped working."

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Thats a mighty tall assumption my friend !

:rolleyes:

25. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

1) First he claims FedEx broke his iPhone while in transit to Apple, than states FedEx lost his iPhone on the return trip.

Seems this thread belongs on the FedEx forum.

2) Or he believes Apple was dishonest about receiving a broken iPhone and/or shipping it back to him.

If his complaint is the latter then certainly he's calling Apple a liar and that opens up the discussion to commentary and further conjecture.