Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
55,058
17,433
And what would Superbowl Sunday be without rumors of Apple's return...

The Hartford Courant claims that Apple Computer will be featuring their latest Powerbook ad during the Superbowl.


Watch the TV commercials during the Super Bowl on Sunday and you'll see one for Apple Computer Co. that features diminutive Verne Troyer, the Mini-Me in the Austin Powers flicks, along with a tall guy.

Of interest, the article notes that Yao Ming will "only endorse products he uses".

Update: No Apple ad was shown during the Superbowl, however, the Yao Ming/Mini-Me ad was shown during Alias which aired immediately after the Superbowl.
 

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
7,002
11
1 Block away from NYC.
Wow sweet.
That would really be cool, but I really don't need apple to keep blowing their $$ on commericals.

Edit: what does staying up till 2 get you?
First post. :D Goodnight.
 

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
328
28
Originally posted by MrMacman
Wow sweet.
That would really be cool, but I really don't need apple to keep blowing their $$ on commericals.

Edit: what does staying up till 2 get you?
First post. :D Goodnight.

Hey, man. Advertising is the key. It gets Apple's name and products out there. What better way to reach 200+ million people, than an ad on SuperBowl Sunday. Too many people discount the effect of advertising, when it is the most important way to get word out about a great product!
 

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
1,262
0
East Bay, CA
A large part of Apple's turn around was an improved marketing campaign. Powerful advertising is everything. There are many potential customers who still have no idea that Apple released these new models. Here is a chance to hook them.

Dan
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,575
200
this is a great idea for apple. superbowl is a great time to advertise just because most people who dont even like football watch the superbowl just for the commercials. I was hoping apple would do this because is a good change from the "annoying" switch ads. its good to know apple has gone back to real commercials that catch your attention.

iJon
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
i just have one problem with this: i wanted something new. i have seen the yao ming commercial several times; it's been out for almost a month now. the superbowl is for one time, crazy commercials that make you laugh, i say.
i have my fingers crossed. maybe they'll do something new.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,575
200
Originally posted by melchior
According to this, it doesn't look like apple has bought time. Could Apple really keep it a secret?

See this article for companies that have abandoned the Superbowl:

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=36935

Also, here are the companies that have bought ads:

http://www.adage.com/page.cms?pageId=967
i dont think apple could keep this a secret, its not under their control. i would believe this site over that column writing guy. oh well. plus the commercial is 47 seconds long and i dont think there is 17 seconds of pointless stuff in the commercial to cut off.

iJon
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,575
200
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i just have one problem with this: i wanted something new. i have seen the yao ming commercial several times; it's been out for almost a month now. the superbowl is for one time, crazy commercials that make you laugh, i say.
i have my fingers crossed. maybe they'll do something new.
what are you talking about man, it just started airing on tv this week.

iJon
 

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
109
0
Originally posted by iJon
...I was hoping apple would do this because is a good change from the "annoying" switch ads. its good to know apple has gone back to real commercials that catch your attention.

iJon

You may have been annoyed by the switch ads. But they did a great job of catching people's attention and were even heavily ripped off. I thought it was one of the better campains of the year.
 

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
922
0
New York
What's up with that font at the end of the new commericials? I mean... what is up with it? Why why why?

It's so... nasty looking. Can someone fill me in?
 

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
537
0
Originally posted by iJon

plus the commercial is 47 seconds long and i dont think there is 17 seconds of pointless stuff in the commercial to cut off.

They could do 15 seconds x3, so they could get a 45 second slot.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,575
200
Originally posted by nero007


You may have been annoyed by the switch ads. But they did a great job of catching people's attention and were even heavily ripped off. I thought it was one of the better campains of the year.
trust me, im fully aware of how the switch ads affected people. the commercials did attract many people in our store but now all of them. I dont think apples switch campaign was as succesful as theh hoped or they would still be showing the commercials. sure some of the commercials but some were just plain stupid. like the hamilton morris one. chances are half the windows users watching didnt even know what an ipod was, they didnt even give him one to put in his hand, instead he just showed how big it was, very bad commercial in my opinion. so was the ellen feiss commercial, but we all loved that commercial for different reasons. these are just my opinions though.

iJon
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
Originally posted by iJon

what are you talking about man, it just started airing on tv this week.

iJon

dude, it's right on apple.com. hell, i don't watch TV. i think it shouldn't be on the superbowl at all if it's been aired at any time ever before. i think that time is for new, usually one-time things. it's funner that way, if a "waste" of several million dollars.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,575
200
Originally posted by Shadowfax


dude, it's right on apple.com. hell, i don't watch TV. i think it shouldn't be on the superbowl at all if it's been aired at any time ever before. i think that time is for new, usually one-time things. it's funner that way, if a "waste" of several million dollars.
i dont think so. you dont just advertise something once for it to be funny, you advertise to make money. the superbowl is usually the number 1 event watched every year. apple would get a huge number of people for a consumer audience. and plus, not everyone goes to apples site to watch the commercial. i think advertising at the superbowl is a great idea, but they also get the same audience over a certian period of time while advertising on many different channels over a period of time.

iJon
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,698
624
Location Location Location
i dont think so. you dont just advertise something once for it to be funny, you advertise to make money.

No, you make money by showing something fresh and original, which means showing a funny and original commercial for the very first time. You cannot show a previously viewed commercial on the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the big leagues for advertisers. Everybody knows this, and so I really hope Apple doesn't show the same Mini-me/Yao Ming airplane commercial that they debuted during MWSF. That would be very lame.
 

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
151
0
UCLA
Originally posted by Abstract

No, you make money by showing something fresh and original, which means showing a funny and original commercial for the very first time. You cannot show a previously viewed commercial on the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the big leagues for advertisers. Everybody knows this. . .

and why is that?? that's right.. it all started with apple's 1984 commercial :D

just thought that that was something interesting worth mentioning :)
 

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
1,227
108
mmmm, misspelled my pseudonym on the front page.

i guess people mix up the letters easily enough, especially when reading it out loud.

i feel sorry for the people who have it as their first name (and there are a few around).

oh well, on with life. waiting on nows regarding ipods.... =)
 

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
70
0
Uh, yeah, great SuperBowl Ad. I'll run out and get my new iMac, iPhone, VPod and both 12" and 17" PowerBooks tomorrow. Oh wait, can't forget my quad PPC 970.
 

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
2,554
3
downtown
Originally posted by Abstract
No, you make money by showing something fresh and original, which means showing a funny and original commercial for the very first time. You cannot show a previously viewed commercial on the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the big leagues for advertisers. Everybody knows this...

It's funny you should say that because there were several commercials aired tonight that I had seen before. 'Everbody knows this..' No, actually, it turns out that you're just wrong. These people spent a lot of money on air time, would it really be all that bad to show a 'tried and true' commercial that they know works...?

"cannot" & "everybody knows this"... sorry, i just cant deal with that type of definitive.
 

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
745
25
Re: apple superbowl commercial

If the now well-known commercial for the new powerbooks was not allready seen, it would have been a great ad for the superbowl. Not the best apple has ever had, but clever none-the-less.
Next year will be the 20th anniversary of them debuting the Macintosh line at the superbowl. I would really expect somthing, maybe not big, but a reflection on what Apple has done, and the current products at the time, and how they will "do it again" or "keep on doing it". Just my 2 Lincoln's.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,698
624
Location Location Location
Originally posted by cr2sh


It's funny you should say that because there were several commercials aired tonight that I had seen before. 'Everbody knows this..' No, actually, it turns out that you're just wrong. These people spent a lot of money on air time, would it really be all that bad to show a 'tried and true' commercial that they know works...?

"cannot" & "everybody knows this"... sorry, i just cant deal with that type of definitive.


*sigh* Where should I begin with you. Firstly, some of the advertising is regional, and so while the big SuperBowl commercials are shown on every single television station (eg: the awesome Matrix Reloaded preview, the Terminator 3 movie preview, etc...), there was some advertising that I received that definitely wasn't SuperBowl related. In fact, they were very Canadian. Did you notice the blimp floating around in the air during the game? On my television, it had a Canadian Tire symbol on it, and in other regions, it would bare another company's logo. The exact types of Superbowl adverts you see depend on where you live, but the BIG sponsors (eg: Bud Light, movie commercials) were shown all over. I'm sure you wouldn't have cared about Canadian Tire commercials if you are an American.

So I guess "it turns out that (I'm) just" right. I also saw old commercials, but they were for products that aren't worth $2.1 million dollars to advertise. The majority of the commercials that I saw were new to me, but not all of them. I'm not surprised that you saw some older commercials, since I'm sure everybody else did as well.



And to respond to others: I have read somewhere (maybe in this forum?) that there was no Apple commercials during the Superbowl, but that there was a commercial during the television program that aired after the Superbowl (Alias?). Of course, this would also depend on where you live, but I'm just wondering if this commercial was just the Mini-me/Yao Ming commercial. I wouldn't mind it, since I haven't seen Apple advertise in Canada since the Jeff Goldblum commercials. Also, I'm sure that most people haven't even seen this commercial, so it would be nice to air anyway.
 

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
2,788
886
This is good

I'm very happy to hear that this rumor was false. The Superbowl is a whore-like spectacle and so over-the-top commercialized that the whole thing is a joke. It's more about the product placements than the stupid game, anyway. I'm perfectly happy to see Apple stay away from that. Blech...
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.