Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have a question that I think I already know the answer!! Does the superdrive have the capability to use RW?? I want to back my computer up and move from CDRW -->DVD-RW. I dont think this is possible is it? I think its jsut a DVD-R drive??

Thanks

Also, this is a quote from Macfixit.com

Power Mac G4 and AppleVision 850 James Macak writes: "My PowerMac 933 arrived with a bad SuperDrive, however, I did discover that the video card worked perfectly well in driving my old AppleVision 850 display to all its various resolutions."

How was this known?? By trying to burn a dvd? I ask because I am about to get a dual ghz powermac + want to make sure it all works.

tk-421

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Katy, TX
The superdrive does support DVD-RW, however Apple doesn't. In order to burn to DVD-RW disc, you'll need the latest version of Toast Titanium.

Works great for burning data, and also DVD Folder Builds from DVD Studio Pro to test your creation out before making permanent copies.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Thats great to hear!! Why is it apple does not put it on their spec sheet? It would look good!

L

littlejim

As far as I'm aware, the drive is DVD-R only (Love to hear otherwise!).

You get a couple of DVD-R disks and a couple of CD-R disks in with the machine - I tried everything out -

Played a DVD, Played Audio/Data CD, Cut a CD

But best of all, played with iMovie and iDVD and burnt a DVD disk ... what a hoot that is! Superb fun ... worth the money of the machine by itself.

Thinks ... not tried a CD-RW or Data DVD ....

LittleJim
----------

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I dont really want to waste a blank DVD because they are not as cheap as cd's (I do want to check my drive though)! Any good sources of blank dvd's in the UK anyone knows of?

L

littlejim

Originally posted by tk-421
The superdrive does support DVD-RW, however Apple doesn't. In order to burn to DVD-RW disc, you'll need the latest version of Toast Titanium.

Works great for burning data, and also DVD Folder Builds from DVD Studio Pro to test your creation out before making permanent copies.

Thanks for that information ... I would never have known!

LittleJim
----------

tk-421

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Katy, TX
The drive is actually the Pioneer DVR-A03 drive. A friend of mine got the drive from Pioneer for his Dell machine and has burned numerous amounts of DVD-RW disc to test outs his dvd's before making final copies and shipping to customers. It's a great thing.

Why Apple doesn't mention it I haven't a clue. Probably same reason Disc Burner doesn't support session burning on cd's, whatever the reason may be.
I mean, if they did I wouldn't have to fork out $100 for Toast to do this stuff.<shrug>

Clickie for drive info

Oh yeah, I think the System Profiler may even say it's a Pioneer DVD-RW drive.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by littlejim
As far as I'm aware, the drive is DVD-R only (Love to hear otherwise!).
----------

Superdrive will write to DVD-RW

You need Mac OS X Finder or Toast in OS 9.

arn

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Are the DVD-RW media easily found (I am in the UK)? I take it they work in the same way as a CDRW disc? How much do they roughly cost? Do I have to look for any particular type of discs?

Thanks

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
DVD-R and G4 Powerbook

I am looking to get a desktop instead of a G4 PowerBook for the only reason of the Super Drive. Is this foolish? Can I work on G4 PowerBook and buy an external DVD R drive? If I can, can one use Final Cut Pro and burn it on a DVD disc?

Greg

L

littlejim

Originally posted by Falleron
I dont really want to waste a blank DVD because they are not as cheap as cd's (I do want to check my drive though)! Any good sources of blank dvd's in the UK anyone knows of?
Apple Store seem to be the cheapest - £17 for 5. I guess they want to keep 'em cheap to make buying DVD-R a viable option. Again - if anyone knows better ...

tomgreever

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2001
Nashville, TN USA
Externals don't work for iDVD

It's my understanding that buying the external DVD-RW will not work with iDVD... but I would think it would work with Final Cut Pro. Not sure, though.

tk-421

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Katy, TX
iDVD doesn't support external drives. You could use DVD Studio Pro to make your stuff, then export to folder, and then burn the folder to external dvd-rw via toast.

Toast's latest update added more support for dvd-rw drives, i *think*.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by littlejim

Apple Store seem to be the cheapest - £17 for 5. I guess they want to keep 'em cheap to make buying DVD-R a viable option. Again - if anyone knows better ...

Hi, the disks at the apple store are DVD-R disks aren't they? I am looking to use the use the superdrive as a DVD-RW. I assume I need a different type of disk.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Hi, would a PHILIPS RE-WRITABLE DVD be ok?

Specs:

Features
— 4.7Gb data capacity
— 240 min video capacity
— No formatting required
— Backwards compatible

Appox. £15 UK

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
DVD-RW or DVD-R

Hi, the disks at the apple store are DVD-R disks aren't they? I am looking to use the use the superdrive as a DVD-RW. I assume I need a different type of disk.

When a 5pack of Apple DVD-R kosts 17.- and a single DVD-RW 15.- I guess you are better off with Apple´s offer ;-)

Unless you buy just a single DVD-RW for practicing purpose, and use the Apple DVD-R for final copies...

Mike

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I want to use a DVD-RW disc for backing up my computer so it make a lot more sense to get one of those opposed to getting lots of DVD-R disks.

Is the disc I mentioned above the correct type for the superdrive??

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
Is the disc I mentioned above the correct type for the superdrive??

Yes. It can be used either under OS X without additional software or with Toast Titanium under 9.1...

Only I would not be sure about a full 4.7 GB capacity. When I inserted a DVD-R in my G4/867/Superdrive the Toast window showed "DVD 4.4 GB"...

Have not yet had time to test the actual capacity of DVD-R/RW drives, and I cannot find ANYTHING in the Internet. Who knows more ??

Michael

scar_ace

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by mstur

Only I would not be sure about a full 4.7 GB capacity. When I inserted a DVD-R in my G4/867/Superdrive the Toast window showed "DVD 4.4 GB"...

Michael

Surely the 4.7GB figure is the capacity when measured as every megabyte being 1000kilbytes and the 4.4GB figure when measured as every megabyte being 1024kilobytes?!
I expect you to only be able to fit about 4.4GB on since the computer uses the latter as it's way of counting.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
there is a 4.7 GB capacity even at the 1024 number...but then the disc has to be formated (for some reason this takes almost 200 MB) and then toasts adds something for it to be a hybrid disk and that takes up to 100 MB....just saying what's hapned to me...i've gotten up to 4.6 GB on an Apple DVD-R, it's my version of the iPod (DVD-R + Ti 400)
and where can i buy some DVD-RW's?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Not in the new ones

Originally posted by tk-421
The drive is actually the Pioneer DVR-A03 drive. A friend of mine got the drive from Pioneer for his Dell machine and has burned numerous amounts of DVD-RW disc to test outs his dvd's before making final copies and shipping to customers. It's a great thing.

Why Apple doesn't mention it I haven't a clue. Probably same reason Disc Burner doesn't support session burning on cd's, whatever the reason may be.
I mean, if they did I wouldn't have to fork out $100 for Toast to do this stuff.<shrug>

Clickie for drive info

Oh yeah, I think the System Profiler may even say it's a Pioneer DVD-RW drive.

Actually, I think the drive in the new PowerMacs is a DVR-A(1?)04. It makes DVD-RW Burning faster. Anyway, the reason Apple doesn't mention RW is because a standard for rewritable DVDs hasn't been agreed on yet. The two main contenders are DVD+RW and DVD-RW. Don't ask me the difference, I don't know.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Hi, just got the re-writable disk mentioned above and cant seem to do anything with the dvd!!! Toast just says that there is no disk in the drive!!! Any ideas???

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
Hi, just got the re-writable disk mentioned above and cant seem to do anything with the dvd!!! Toast just says that there is no disk in the drive!!! Any ideas???

What version of Toast are you using, and what Mac OS ?

With OS X 10.1 you should be able to use the DVD-RW without Toast. Whith OS 9.x you should use Toast Titanium 5.x

Michael

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Toast 5.1.2 r2 in OSX.1.3 (tried OSX.1.2 as well). OS9 thinks about it when you insert the disk then spits it out. The disk does not mount at all in OSX. I'm thinking maybe the wrong type of disk?? I really hope not!!

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
Re: Not in the new ones

Originally posted by GeeYouEye

Actually, I think the drive in the new PowerMacs is a DVR-A(1?)04. It makes DVD-RW Burning faster. Anyway, the reason Apple doesn't mention RW is because a standard for rewritable DVDs hasn't been agreed on yet. The two main contenders are DVD+RW and DVD-RW. Don't ask me the difference, I don't know.

DVD+RW is the NEWER version. It is said to be MORE compactable than the old DVD-RW's

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.