Apple support is not what it used to be (pictures included) (EDITED again)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBookG4user, Dec 22, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ok, first off I sent my MacBook pro off for repair way back in February for LCD issues, battery issues and heat issues (core duo mbp). They got it back to me in five days and it worked great when I recieved it. Now its ten months down the line and I'm having problems galore, battery issue (40% health with 50 charges), very loud SuperDrive that only completes half of the burns, hard drive looking very slow and loud, keyboard stopped working completely (internal and external), doesn't consistently charge the battery and more issues.

Thinking nothing of sending it off to apple, I requested a box to be sent and shipped it off to apple. Two days later I check the status and find that it is on hold, so I called apple and they tell me that I owe them TWELVE HUNDRED dollars because of four very superficial scratches that even they say will not be even noticed unless you look very closely. Now, I did a very close inspection of my mbp before sending it off to apple and I can assure you that there were no scratches on the screen. I escalated the issue and after several hours I luckily got them to cover it, I did pay $350 for AppleCare after all.

Now it has been almost two weeks since I sent it in and they haven't even started the repair and it is on hold because they are waiting for parts and have been for a week. I got them to tell me what parts are going to be replaced and here is the list:
    motherboard
    LCD
    video ram
    battery
    top casing
    bottom casing
    SuperDrive
    hard drive

That is essentially the entire computer, and they said that they won't even start to repair it for another 5 days, then they will have to finish the repair and ship it to me. Judging by how long it takes them to get a necessary part, I wonder if I will ever get my mbp back. I think after going through all this trouble and never ending issues with my $3000 purchase, I deserve a replacement. And they won't even give me one, even though they are replacing almost the entire computer, including the two most expensive parts.

Also, my job requires me to have my laptop, so until I get it back my main source of income is diminished significantly. Sorry for any spelling errors, I had to type this on my phone since I don't have a computer right now.

2. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

You typed that whole thing on your phone?! :eek:

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, because it should be obvious, but if your livelihood depends upon having a computer, then you should ALWAYS have two with a shared external HD so you can afford to have one repaired or upgraded without missing a beat. Even I have two computers, always will, and my livelihood really doesn't depend upon that so much. Go buy an imac or MB or whatever you need while your computer gets its guts replaced!

3. eyazdchi macrumors newbie

I concur.

Go spend a grand on a SR-MB and use that as your backup. Sounds like you're not going to get your computer back for a couple of weeks anyways. Look at it from the opportunity cost vantage point. If its gonna cost you more than a thousand dollars to not have a computer these next few weeks then you're better off going and buying a new comp, regardless of what Apple says about replacing your current MBP. If you're not prone to lose about a thousand these next few weeks without your comp then it sounds like you're not losing much in the first place and would just wait it out or buy a new comp anyways for the next time you have this issue.

4. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The problem with buying another computer is that I don't have enough money. I only make $400 a month, because I am still a student and Living at home for now. The money that I do earn usually goes into photography equipment, because I want to become a photographer. Another problem with my computer being gone is that I can't edit or print any of my pictures and I have quite a few on my camera now.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

Is there no apple store near where u live?? Apple Stores are usually very good with repairs, they stock most of the common parts like the ones you mentioned and the turnaround time is usually less than 48 hours. It's even faster if u have Pro Care or if you yell and scream!

6. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is an apple store about an hour and a half to two hours away, depending on traffic. But they don't do most of their repairs in store anyway, my mbp went all the way to Texas.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's Ruff man, Good luck with getting it fixed. I hope all goes well the only other thing i can think of is bring it into an apple authorized technician at an authorized reseller.

8. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yesterday, 3 weeks after I sent my MacBook Pro in, I finally received it back from Apple. After I opening the box and taking the MacBook Pro out I actually was probably like this :eek:. Here are some pictures to show you what I mean.

A great many scratches and even a dent on the top casing.
    [​IMG]

Huge dent in the top of the expresscard slot, you can actually see above the flap into the darkness of the computer through it.
    [​IMG]

Numerous scratches on the bottom casing as well, also a dent in the battery (couldn't get a good picture).
    [​IMG]

The LCD also has a lot of scratches and is in generally poor condition.
    [​IMG]

The box it came in looks like it was dropped at least once.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost immediately after receiving the computer, I called Applecare and after an over 3 hour call, I finally got them to give me a replacement. So, although the service was abysmal, they did offer me a replacement and I'll be getting a brand new MacBook Pro. They are going to send me the shipping labels by the end of monday so I can send off my MacBook Pro and get my replacement.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Wow--crazy. And a 3 hour call? They don't make it easy to wrangle that customer service out of them. At least you're getting a new machine. Hope it arrives in better shape than this one did.

10. je1ani macrumors 6502

11. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I would say send an email in an angry voice to sjobs@apple.com. You might get a personal call from someone in his office to help you solve your problem. I've done this once before. The strange thing was, I didn't give her my phone number, but somehow she called it.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Reality distortion field... or big brother? :eek:

Actually they got your phone number and other details when you registered your new Mac online.

13. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

OMG, I can't believe that happened, I'm glad they're doing you right by replacing it

14. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would have to agree, I really couldn't afford to get a new computer for college, and a new MacBook Pro will do good and last me another year.

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's ridiculous, For spending that much on one of there computers the least they can do is offer is decent service. Let's hope this one works ok and is in good cosmetic condition.

Best of luck!

16. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Oooo that would explain that.