Apple supports iPhone thieves

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blue Ivy, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Blue Ivy macrumors member

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would rather this NOT be changed. It would make it more of a PITA to sell an old phone because you would have to transfer the warranty. FWIW this is the same with just about an item. Someone steals my blueray player (example), they can get it exchanged on warranty if they want. Nobody is going to ask them if they stole it or not. People steal iPhones because they are a hot commodity. Everyone knows what they are an everyone wants one. It's not because of Apple's exchange policies.

3. Blue Ivy thread starter macrumors member

I agree, but I'd like to see Apple implement some sort of blacklist system. When an Apple device is stolen, the owner can notify Apple and if the device is brought into an Apple store, it will show up in their system.

4. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

imore? really?

When you report your iPhone stolen, it goes into Apple's backlist database. I know this, because I got my stolen iPhone back, reported it to AT&T, and some ******* stole it, and then brought it into apple for a broken screen. Apparantly, they brought it into the back room, plugged it into a mac which has IMEI check SW on it, and they saw it was stolen. OFC they called the cops, but he ran away before they came. (apple held onto the phone, claiming they were checking some warranty mumbo-jumbo) Apple even replaced the screen for me. For free. :D

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What is to prevent me from selling you my iPhone, taking your money and then reporting it stolen?

6. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

NICE twist!

7. Blue Ivy thread starter macrumors member

What would be the point of that though? I wouldn't benefit anyone. No one is going to sell a phone and then take the time to report it for absolutely no reason.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You underestimate people. There are many people who would do it just for kicks.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, the criminal mind at work.:rolleyes: :D

10. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

The following might be the point:

You get paid + your iPhone finds its way back to you.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Under your scenario, Apple would give you the phone back
    So now I have your money and your phone

12. adnbek, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Oh believe me, "benefit" or not, there is plenty of stupid out there to go around. No matter how incomprehensible something might be to you and I, there is always someone out there plotting the act or even doing it.

Now in this specific case, it may actually benefit the scammer but benefit isn't always a motivation for those types. Else, there wouldn't be so many "valentinescard.pdf.exe" or similar files spread all over the internet.

13. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

...and then they'd be filing a false police report, and would be in a lot more trouble than just annoying Apple Computer.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thieves aren't concerned about getting in trouble, or else they wouldn't be thieves

My word against yours
    I have the receipt for the phone

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The problem I have with this is that it can also be used for bad. I sell my iPhone, cash, on CL. I decide I want to be a d*** and report my phone stolen. So now the tables have turned. Something that was implemented to protect people is all of the sudden problematic for others.

----------

I'd say they are concerned, they just do all they can to not get in trouble, therefor minimizing their concern.

16. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

And the beauty of it comes next:

Now I STEAL your iPhone and when you report it stolen I say I paid you for the iPhone and you still reported it stolen.

BOOM

17. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Solution: don't buy electronics off of Craigslist in cash with no reciept.

The same could be said for someone who unwittingly buys stolen goods off of Craigslist in cash. You're now in possession of stolen goods, and have no recourse if you walk into a store for repair and they discover it's been reported stolen.

I mean, for godssakes, would you buy a car in cash without getting a pink slip? Why would you buy a $600 phone in cash instead of a money order if you can get the original reciept?

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

:confused:

He has the receipt... with serial number.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

All of which is the reason why Apple isn't in the business of arbitrating such disputes

20. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Lol, and also not responsible for them. That's like saying the car manufacturer is liable in my above example.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Car purchases are monitored on a state and federal level. That is to say, you need to register the thing, which is made MUCH more difficult without a pink slip.

I have always had my receipts emailed to me at the Apple store. Those are incredibly easy to alter and make look believable for a sale on CL. It's not THAT much harder to alter a legitimately printed receipt either.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No system is perfect, nor is it a permanent solution. The criminal mind can be very clever as we have all seen.

I'm sure that Apple has given this plenty of thought and decided to proceed as they do for reasons they feel are appropriate.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

A corporation's answer to every problem. ;)

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I know, it's not a happy situation, nor am I an Apple apologist. Rather it's just the voice of experience speaking, when I mention what I believe Apple is thinking.

While it's only speculation on my part, I've been an Apple customer a long time and I'm quite familiar with how they tend to operate.

25. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Which is why it's not a good idea to purchase consumer electronics off Craigslist in cash, instead of using a money order or other method where you have a receipt of your purchase.

The argument here is that someone could sell you an iPhone and then report it stolen. This isn't specific only to the iPhone, but every other consumer electronic that could possibly be sold on CL. Someone could hypothetically sell just about anything on Craigslist with a fake receipt, then claim it was stolen. That's why we have laws against filing a false Police report, and fake insurance claims.

And I think the issue is getting pretty confused here:

This is assuming someone is:

1) Dumb enough to buy something expensive off CraigsList in cash
    2) Takes it in to an Apple store for "warranty service" they don't even have without getting some kind of documentation from the seller
    3) Can't explain to The Apple Store that they bought the iPhone off CL in cash, don't have a receipt, and that the person who reported it stolen was lying
    4) They leave the CL-purchased phone at The Apple Store after they're told it was reported stolen instead of talking to the police
    5) The police decide the phone was stolen and don't investigate the CL sale
    6) Apple returns the phone to the original buyer without any investigation whatsoever