Apple supports iPhone thieves

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would rather this NOT be changed. It would make it more of a PITA to sell an old phone because you would have to transfer the warranty. FWIW this is the same with just about an item. Someone steals my blueray player (example), they can get it exchanged on warranty if they want. Nobody is going to ask them if they stole it or not. People steal iPhones because they are a hot commodity. Everyone knows what they are an everyone wants one. It's not because of Apple's exchange policies.

Blue Ivy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I would rather this NOT be changed. It would make it more of a PITA to sell an old phone because you would have to transfer the warranty. FWIW this is the same with just about an item. Someone steals my blueray player (example), they can get it exchanged on warranty if they want. Nobody is going to ask them if they stole it or not. People steal iPhones because they are a hot commodity. Everyone knows what they are an everyone wants one. It's not because of Apple's exchange policies.
I agree, but I'd like to see Apple implement some sort of blacklist system. When an Apple device is stolen, the owner can notify Apple and if the device is brought into an Apple store, it will show up in their system.

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
imore? really?

Thieves are using Apple Stores to replace stolen iPhones. This is very scary! Do you think Apple will take the appropriate steps to prevent this in the future?

http://www.imore.com/2012/01/27/thieves-apple-stores-replace-stolen-iphones/
When you report your iPhone stolen, it goes into Apple's backlist database. I know this, because I got my stolen iPhone back, reported it to AT&T, and some ******* stole it, and then brought it into apple for a broken screen. Apparantly, they brought it into the back room, plugged it into a mac which has IMEI check SW on it, and they saw it was stolen. OFC they called the cops, but he ran away before they came. (apple held onto the phone, claiming they were checking some warranty mumbo-jumbo) Apple even replaced the screen for me. For free. :D

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I agree, but I'd like to see Apple implement some sort of blacklist system. When an Apple device is stolen, the owner can notify Apple and if the device is brought into an Apple store, it will show up in their system.
What is to prevent me from selling you my iPhone, taking your money and then reporting it stolen?

Blue Ivy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
What is to prevent me from selling you my iPhone, taking your money and then reporting it stolen?
What would be the point of that though? I wouldn't benefit anyone. No one is going to sell a phone and then take the time to report it for absolutely no reason.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
What would be the point of that though? I wouldn't benefit anyone. No one is going to sell a phone and then take the time to report it for absolutely no reason.
The following might be the point:

When you report your iPhone stolen, it goes into Apple's backlist database. I know this, because I got my stolen iPhone back, reported it to AT&T, and some ******* stole it, and then brought it into apple for a broken screen. Apparantly, they brought it into the back room, plugged it into a mac which has IMEI check SW on it, and they saw it was stolen. OFC they called the cops, but he ran away before they came. (apple held onto the phone, claiming they were checking some warranty mumbo-jumbo) Apple even replaced the screen for me. For free. :D
You get paid + your iPhone finds its way back to you.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Oh believe me, "benefit" or not, there is plenty of stupid out there to go around. No matter how incomprehensible something might be to you and I, there is always someone out there plotting the act or even doing it.

Now in this specific case, it may actually benefit the scammer but benefit isn't always a motivation for those types. Else, there wouldn't be so many "valentinescard.pdf.exe" or similar files spread all over the internet.

Last edited:

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

grapes911 said:
You underestimate people. There are many people who would do it just for kicks.
...and then they'd be filing a false police report, and would be in a lot more trouble than just annoying Apple Computer.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

...and then they'd be filing a false police report, and would be in a lot more trouble than just annoying Apple Computer.
Thieves aren't concerned about getting in trouble, or else they wouldn't be thieves

My word against yours
I have the receipt for the phone

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The problem I have with this is that it can also be used for bad. I sell my iPhone, cash, on CL. I decide I want to be a d*** and report my phone stolen. So now the tables have turned. Something that was implemented to protect people is all of the sudden problematic for others.

----------

Thieves aren't concerned about getting in trouble, or else they wouldn't be thieves
I'd say they are concerned, they just do all they can to not get in trouble, therefor minimizing their concern.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007

My word against yours
I have the receipt for the phone
And the beauty of it comes next:

Now I STEAL your iPhone and when you report it stolen I say I paid you for the iPhone and you still reported it stolen.

BOOM

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

Solution: don't buy electronics off of Craigslist in cash with no reciept.

The same could be said for someone who unwittingly buys stolen goods off of Craigslist in cash. You're now in possession of stolen goods, and have no recourse if you walk into a store for repair and they discover it's been reported stolen.

I mean, for godssakes, would you buy a car in cash without getting a pink slip? Why would you buy a $600 phone in cash instead of a money order if you can get the original reciept?

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

MacDawg said:
All of which is the reason why Apple isn't in the business of arbitrating such disputes
Lol, and also not responsible for them. That's like saying the car manufacturer is liable in my above example.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I mean, for godssakes, would you buy a car in cash without getting a pink slip? Why would you buy a $600 phone in cash instead of a money order if you can get the original reciept?
Car purchases are monitored on a state and federal level. That is to say, you need to register the thing, which is made MUCH more difficult without a pink slip.

I have always had my receipts emailed to me at the Apple store. Those are incredibly easy to alter and make look believable for a sale on CL. It's not THAT much harder to alter a legitimately printed receipt either.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
No system is perfect, nor is it a permanent solution. The criminal mind can be very clever as we have all seen.

I'm sure that Apple has given this plenty of thought and decided to proceed as they do for reasons they feel are appropriate.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
A corporation's answer to every problem. ;)
I know, it's not a happy situation, nor am I an Apple apologist. Rather it's just the voice of experience speaking, when I mention what I believe Apple is thinking.

While it's only speculation on my part, I've been an Apple customer a long time and I'm quite familiar with how they tend to operate.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Car purchases are monitored on a state and federal level. That is to say, you need to register the thing, which is made MUCH more difficult without a pink slip.

I have always had my receipts emailed to me at the Apple store. Those are incredibly easy to alter and make look believable for a sale on CL. It's not THAT much harder to alter a legitimately printed receipt either.
Which is why it's not a good idea to purchase consumer electronics off Craigslist in cash, instead of using a money order or other method where you have a receipt of your purchase.

The argument here is that someone could sell you an iPhone and then report it stolen. This isn't specific only to the iPhone, but every other consumer electronic that could possibly be sold on CL. Someone could hypothetically sell just about anything on Craigslist with a fake receipt, then claim it was stolen. That's why we have laws against filing a false Police report, and fake insurance claims.

And I think the issue is getting pretty confused here:

Under your scenario, Apple would give you the phone back
So now I have your money and your phone
This is assuming someone is:

1) Dumb enough to buy something expensive off CraigsList in cash
2) Takes it in to an Apple store for "warranty service" they don't even have without getting some kind of documentation from the seller
3) Can't explain to The Apple Store that they bought the iPhone off CL in cash, don't have a receipt, and that the person who reported it stolen was lying
4) They leave the CL-purchased phone at The Apple Store after they're told it was reported stolen instead of talking to the police
5) The police decide the phone was stolen and don't investigate the CL sale
6) Apple returns the phone to the original buyer without any investigation whatsoever