Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One source claims that Apple may open up Mac OS X's Software Update to 3rd party developers.

Such a move would allow non-Apple applications to be automatically downloaded/updated with the same painless method as current Mac OS X updates.

Such a feature would be released as a SDK interface for developers and may find its way into OS X as early as 10.3.

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
It's a "no brainer" really. It's a concept that's well overdue for implementation.

Comment

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Finally! No more hunting around Version Tracker or MacUpdate to see if I'm running the latest build of things. This is a very good idea, and would be the ultimate addition to Apple's "ease of use."

I'm just wondering how this would work, would it have to check in with Apple's servers, or would the developers be able to specify their own update URL?

Comment

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
well, in apple's attempt to compete against microsoft sometimes i think they forget about the other main player...Linux.
There are several versions of Linux that offer integrated updaters like this. They let you know of new versions of programs and libraries that have installed in your distribution. It is usually pretty painless. I have no doubt if Apple does this it will be one of the best (and a great selling point I might add) features to MacOS X. As long as they can do this without getting any personal information (aka. Palladium) I'm all for it.
Viva La Apple!!!!

Comment

NoWonder

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2002
NoWhere
Great idea IF and ONLY IF apple puts some real security around it. This would be a very tempting way to roll out a virus.

--nw

Comment

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Louisville, KY
Is Apple already partenered with Aladdin Systems to do this? Here's the reason I think they are.

For Christmas, my parents got my brother a 17" iMac. After we got it hooked up, I ran software update. One of the updates I had to download was an update for Aladdin Systems Stuffit Expander. This was the first non-Apple update I had ever seen. Is anyone had this happen?

Comment

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by RBMaraman
Is Apple already partenered with Aladdin Systems to do this? Here's the reason I think they are.

For Christmas, my parents got my brother a 17" iMac. After we got it hooked up, I ran software update. One of the updates I had to download was an update for Aladdin Systems Stuffit Expander. This was the first non-Apple update I had ever seen. Is anyone had this happen?

Apple did this because it was a "security update" and as far as I know all Macs are bundled with StuffIt Expander, so it's their responsibility to notify us of the update. Just like Internet Explorer updates show up, even though it's made by M$.

Comment

atodd

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
between yourself
Yeah.

They need to separate the 3rd-party updates from the Apple ones though. Make them in a separate tab. This is so you can, say, only download system updates if you want to. Plus there would be a LOT of stuff to pick through. A preference pane to customise which apps you want in the SWupdate?

Comment

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
On a semi related note (services for 3rd party apps), it seems to me that the crash log service could VERY easily be modified to provide something like Mozilla/Chimera/Omniweb's talkback to any program that wanted it. That would be spiffy.

Comment

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
I have a feeling that Apple won't actually host the updates/update information on their services (at least without a fee), but in the Info.plist or elsewhere in the the application bundle there will be a place to insert a URL to point Software Update in the right direction.

It sounds like a very good idea, hopefully it won't require a really big fancy server with CGI and such. Perhaps .mac support for developers?

Comment

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
I imagine if they wanted they could make it like Sherlock using some sort of web service (SOAP maybe). Then anyone who wanted to could build a module.

It'd be nice if they could get it to work with Fink too.

i_b_joshua

Comment

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i've been waiting for this since software update became stable. It only makes sense. Even the apps that automatically check for updates don't do a good job, you're never sure if they'll open a browser window, use the one you're surfing in, automatically download, use browser download, automatically install, overwrite data, need restarting or not. hell, sometimes they don't work at all. Mozilla's update function never worked properly on my system; Norton's leaves the LiveUpdate app running once it's done (and there's no updates to be found).

This would dramatically add to ease-of-use for the semi-computer literate... one of the things i found most as a computer consultant is people who were running software that was years old, dealing with bugs on a daily basis that had long ago been fixed. There are whole new sets of bugs out there to be had ;)

pnw

Comment

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-man says: good idea, as long as they keep an eye on it and don't just anyone drop stuff in for auto update...wouldn't be too long before someone with a twisted "sense of humour" put their new destructive mac os x virus in software update. oh yeah!

Comment

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-man says: good idea, as long as they keep an eye on it and don't just anyone drop stuff in for auto update...wouldn't be too long before someone with a twisted "sense of humour" put their new destructive mac os x virus in software update. oh yeah!

my thought excatly

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
if this does happen... the other question is how to deal with paid upgrades...

Let's say a major revision of an application comes out... and costs $99. Will SoftwareUpdate handle it? Or will it only do free-upgades?

arn

Comment

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by arn
if this does happen... the other question is how to deal with paid upgrades...

Let's say a major revision of an application comes out... and costs $99. Will SoftwareUpdate handle it? Or will it only do free-upgades?

arn

Hm, now there's an interesting thought! I suppose they could treat it almost like iPhoto when you order prints, have the 1-click system implemented into Software Update or something. I don't really see Apple allowing for 3rd-party apps to do that, only the Apple brand products. But that's a pretty cool idea.

Comment

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i think this would be a nice feature for just free updates, which most tend to be. then they could just inform you about non-free updates.

Comment

speechgod

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2002
Minnesota
Apple does it again. A repeat of Watson.

I personally know the developer of UpdateRadar, Ricci Adams. Update Radar already does most of this.

Seems Update Radar is going to become the next Watson.

His site: ricciadams.com

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.