Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's long-rumored tablet device reportedly set for an introduction later this month, much remains unknown about the operating system it will be using. Speculation has ranged from a touch-sensitive Mac OS X to a scaled-up iPhone OS to an all-new hybrid of the two, but little word has leaked from sources claiming to know details of what users can expect.

Today, Silicon Alley Insider reports that it has received a few vague comments about the tablet operating system from an "industry source" specifically claiming to have seen the OS.
- It's "pretty" -- obviously.
- "The UI has a good bit of new sexy to it."
- "It's a big iPhone, but it's not just a big iPhone."
As the report notes, the source's comments lend credence to the theory that Apple's tablet will run an operating system reasonably different from both iPhone OS and Mac OS X. A tablet OS based on iPhone OS seems to be a logical fit for the comments, offering something familiar from the iPhone OS but with a significant number of enhancements to create a new user experience more appropriate for the larger screen.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Operating System Claims: 'A Good Bit of New Sexy'

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sorry, but that report said absolutely nothing and added exactly zero to what we know/don't know

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
What?

Do we really need another OS and UI to learn to use?

Yes. It's a new form factor. True, the iPhone is a sort of tablet, but its resolution is unvaried. Its OS is designed for a particular size. Simply scaling or extending the iPhone screen wouldn't be the ideal move on a larger form factor. There would be much left to be desired if Apple didn't incorporate some changes that would take advantage of this increase in display real estate.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
A third operating system? It's getting annoying to deal with OS X and the iPhone OS alone. Now we get to "learn" a third :-(

I imagine it is something that will be the eventual direction of the iPhone OS, and likely even further down the line, a merger with OSX.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
This is my prediction: they will rebrand the iPhone/iTouch OS to a new mobile OS name. Any future mobile devices (including the rumoured Apple tablet) OS name will be called "OS X Mobile".
Yeah, I know not much of a stretch but it's a guess nonetheless.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Sounds like a winner so far, if any of this is true . . .

The iPhone/iPod Touch formula is a winner. If Apple can push that formula further, into some new territory, then it'll be pure gold.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm hoping for -

* true unrestricted multi-tasking ( unlike iPhone / Touch )
* Open platform where Apple aren't the gatekeeper / judge for what applications users can / cannot run on their own devices.
* Where developers are free to deploy to their device without paying apple $99 ( unlike iPhone ) - relates to above
* Not SIM locked if purchased outright ( i.e., no carrier contract )
* a damned good device :D

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
This is the most useless front page post ever made. While claiming to be new information, it tells us absolutely nothing.

"It's a big iPhone, but it's not just a big iPhone"

Wow, thanks a lot for that insight!

"It's pretty"

Useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.