Apple taking Samsung to court again over 10.1 galaxy tab

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iEvolution, Apr 23, 2012.

1. iEvolution macrumors 65816

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The funny thing is...

Samsung said they're enjoying all the legal attention that Apple gives them, as it gives free press to their products.

It worked for me. I never paid any attention to the Samsung Tab 10.1 model until Apple went nuts trying to ban it, claming that they'd lose tons of iPad sales.

That got me curious as to what Apple was worried about. So I tried out a Tab 10.1, was impressed by its light weight, and bought one.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Samsung blatantly copies Apple in a lot of different ways. No Apple shouldn't have a patent on all rectangular screens, but you're a fool if you think that the Galaxy Tab doesn't look like an iPad. Hell, their phone chargers look exactly like iPhone chargers except for the fact that they're black!!!

But let's get some perspective here. Samsung isn't doing themselves any favors by copying Apple's designs. From afar, a potential tablet owner who doesn't know any better is going to think that Galaxy Tab is an iPad if they're just looking at the front. (Unless they notice the "Samsung" label and the fact that it's running a really crappy OS.) Lots of tablet owners use cases (I think even more so than phone users) so you won't see the logo on the back of the Galaxy Tab either.

All Samsung is doing is showing users that they wish they were more like Apple. In fact, that's really all Google did with Android. They started out doing their own thing.....until they saw iOS. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I really think it just helps Apple, not hurts them. These lawsuits are mostly unnecessary from a sales standpoint, but there are times when companies have to protect their IP or the courts can't do anything about it when it REALLY gets copied later down the road.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I'm actually thinking about picking up a Samsung Series 7 Slate for the stuff I want to do, but can't on my iPad. They been making some cool stuff lately. Comp is good.

5. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

I think apple should take Samsung to court for these faulty displays!!!!!!!!

6. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

What's your stance on the pull down notification pane, then?

I think it a little naive to presume big business works on the basis of wishing one was more like one's competition, in all honesty.

7. MacAuditor macrumors member

Then why is Apple using Samsung's display for their ipads? Everybody is using each others resources. No different than copying each other. You must own Apple shares...

Apple, thanks for bringing attention about Samsung. I am more interested now. My next pad is going to be Samsung w/ SAMOLED+.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

I've always wondered why these lawsuits are flying all over the place when it comes to phones and tablets, but back when laptops first started being developed then nobody really made a big deal about all the "copying" of laptop design? And what makes it even weirder is how normal consumers who have nothing to do with the company are getting involved in patent arguments.

Personally, I feel all these lawsuits are bad for all sides. Apple looks petty by claiming ownership on some of these designs. Competitors "Copying" the market leader has historically ALWAYS happened so they're wasting time defending themselves. And consumers are going around acting as if they a lawyers. Im not defending samsung because i do see how theyre copying goes beyond just the tablet, but things like that should be ridiculed by journalists, not controlled by the court system.

Sriously, we all know that computers were eventually going to evolve into tablets so how exactly should a competitor design it? Should HTC make circle tablets to ensure nobody ever thinks its an iPad? Should Acer put tail fins on theirs to create a distinctive "Acer look"? Or should everyone just follow the evolution of technology and take ideas that work while dropping off ideas that don't. Apple may have the best product right now, but if Nokia came out with a good idea I'd hate for us to not get a version of it for the next iPad.

9. Skygunner27 macrumors member

Skygunner27

The problem with the galaxy tab is that it runs on android. I have owned almost every tablet on the market in my pursuit for the best experience. No other tablet can offer the wide robust selection of apps and smooth UI experience that the iPad provides.

In the end, I would choose an iPad every time. It doesn't matter how much other manufactures beef up the specs. The other tablets will still continue to have a piss poor selection of apps with a buggy OS. I say all of this as a Alienware M18x owner.....not a Apple fanboy.