Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

060832-whatis_hero20091014_500.jpg

Newteevee provides some details into Apple's plans to revamp their Apple TV product as they transition from selling downloads to offering streaming online content. According to the report, Apple is about to get more serious about the Apple TV and is pushing to offer $0.99 rentals for TV shows rather than the current $1.99/$2.99 (HD) downloadable purchases.
The TV rental program would work in much the same way that movie rentals now work through iTunes; once an episode is purchased, the consumer will have 30 days to start watching the video. And once started, the TV rental will be available for 24 hours before it expires.
With the new system, Apple would stream the rentals to customers much like Netflix and Hulu. This rumor is just one in a series in which Apple is actively negotiating with content providers to provide more attractive content for customers. Previous negotiations had Apple trying to lower the purchase price of TV episodes down to $1, though it seems that plan never materialized.

Any sort of streaming service might be interesting for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch owners who might also be able to benefit from the service. Rather than syncing an entire show with your computer, customers could simply stream the video directly from iTunes. In fact, some recent rumors even describe the next Apple TV as just another iOS device.

Article Link: Apple Targetting $0.99 TV Show Rentals As It Moves iTunes to the Cloud

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Bring it on. Someone needs to revolutionize the TV world and get it all connected. Hopefully a company like Apple will make something with a global rather than one country focus too, rather than a country specific solution like iPlayer or Hulu.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
will it have the depth of content of hulu or netflix? If not, then count me out. It isn't about whether it's an Apple product, it's about the content.

I can't understand why they just don't partner with these other services.

iVirusYx

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
I own an Apple TV but Apple was now for years not able to open rental and sell services of Movies and TV Shows in Luxembourg. I am dissapoint son...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I can think of some reasons people would pay a dollar to rent a TV show, but I personally doubt I ever would, and I don't think it really has much of a chance of catching on.

liamoblomy

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Leeds, UK
I dont like how things like watching TV are set to get more expensive. And i hope it doesnt end up where we can only rent TV shows, watch them once and pay again if we want to see it again and not own them.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This should be a purchase price for digital content, but it is a step in the right direction. They still need a subscription service with other networks such as the Food Network, Fox News, CNN, etc...

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Ultimately a subscription service may work best. Give you access to 'x' number of shows for £x a month and you stream them on demand whenever you want.

Would a zune store subscription service work? UNLIMITED access, via streaming, for 40$ a month?
Not sure the movie companies would like that though.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
I dont like how things like watching TV are set to get more expensive. And i hope it doesnt end up where we can only rent TV shows, watch them once and pay again if we want to see it again and not own them.

I don't think you have to worry, the production companies are just trying to make sure that they have plenty of options. They like to able to dip their toes in the subscription model (Netflix), and in the ad-supported (Hulu), pay to own (iTunes/Amazon), and potentially the pay-per-view (iTunes/OnDemand).

The existence of a new model won't rid the world of the others. That is unless one model proves to be ridiculously successful. And even then, in the world of digital products it doesn't cost much to have multiple revenue models. Just look at the App Store, there are lots of apps that have a ad-less for purchase version and an ad-supported free version co-existing.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
Why would I do this? I pay $10/month for Netflix and can watch unlimited TV shows and movies.

cmendill

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Wrong again

$0.99 might be an acceptable price to own a TV show, but not to rent. Most shows I like to watch 4 or 5 times. If I'm only going to get a single viewing, I'll stick the with free rotating feeds at hulu or the other network sites.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
If apple plans to move stuff to the cloud, make sure it's not above my house. Those clouds do not look to stable to hold servers and stuff.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I want a new Apple TV but I don't want rentals/cloud forced upon me. If they offer it as an option fine but don't limit my option here when given the download choice for years. Regardless, I sure hope the new Apple TV device (if there is one) is superior to the old one.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
This sounds pretty good to me

A dollar isn't much considering what my cable bill is right now. I could watch quite a few shows for that. I also don't need to have the shows hanging around my apple tv or computer. I only watch shows once, so I'd welcome the new lower price. Only hope I can get my favorite HBO and Showtime shows. I'd cancel my cable, but those channels aren't available on iTunes yet.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Bring it on. Someone needs to revolutionize the TV world and get it all connected. Hopefully a company like Apple will make something with a global rather than one country focus too, rather than a country specific solution like iPlayer or Hulu.

Paying .99 vs. free on abc.com., cbs.com, fox.com, hulu.com, history.com, southparkstudios.com, etc

Get your head out of Apple's ass.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd probably pay a buck to see a show that I'll never watch again, isn't on hulu but I want to see that episode. Actually, I have about $8 in itunes charges because hulu didn't have the episodes of a show I wanted. They only hosted the two most recent episodes for 5 days. I don't have time to watch things as they come up so ... I paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.