Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has formed a multi-year production partnership with Oprah Winfrey to create shows for a new video subscription service that is in the works, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Apple and Winfrey did not share details on the kind of content that she plans to create, but in a statement, Apple said it would team up with Winfrey to "create original programs."

oprahwinfrey.jpg
Apple today announced a unique, multi-year content partnership with Oprah Winfrey, the esteemed producer, actress, talk show host, philanthropist and CEO of OWN.

Together, Winfrey and Apple will create original programs that embrace her incomparable ability to connect with audiences around the world.

Winfrey's projects will be released as part of a lineup of original content from Apple.
Apple has signed deals for dozens of original television shows, ranging from ranging from science fiction series "Amazing Stories" to podcast-based drama series "Are You Sleeping" to cartoon series "Central Park." A full list of Apple's TV shows can be found in our Apple TV roundup.

The first of Apple's television shows may debut as early as 2019 and while Apple has not clarified how the shows will be distributed, today's report from The Wall Street Journal suggests Apple is working on a streaming video service to deliver its content.

Article Link: Apple Teams Up With Oprah Winfrey to Create New TV Shows

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple lost the Obamas but this could arguably be a much bigger prize. Oprah's audience is gigantic. If they're all signing up for Apple TV subscriptions and buying AppleTV's, that's a very large windfall for Apple, specially considering the halo effect of that audience staying/entering into Apple's ecosystem. This will result in sales of iPhones, iPads, AppleTV's, Apple Watches, Apple Music, etc.

Put it this way: Oprah was able to start an entire network based on her dedicated audience. I don't really watch Oprah but I know that anything she recommends becomes a massive hit overnight. Imagine what she could do for Apple's TV ambitions.​

Last edited:

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Kind of like the Netflix deal with Obama I don’t quite get it. Oprah does have actual experience in TV and movies. And she is extremely successful. I just don’t see a broad appeal in her work.

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2016
SF Bay Area
Doesn't Oprah have enough money by now? She's the only person that becomes the spokesperson for Weight Watchers, eats bread, gains weight and still walks away with 100's of millions. I'm sure she'll be completely uninvolved in whatever she does for Apple, just like she was with SiriusXM. Apple has officially jumped the shark.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Just buy Netflix...

They don't need to.

What does Apple need from Netflix? Netflix's value is in their content. Without it, their members stop subscribing. Apple has been making content deals that rival Netflix. Apple doesn't need Netflix's distribution channels or technologies; Netflix's distribution channel is Apple and with regards to the technology, Apple has been doing this with iTunes for far longer than Netflix has even existed.

It'll be fantastic to have this kind of competition. Netflix, Apple and Disney will push each other and the audience will win with better content. Notably, if Netflix doesn't get in on the TV app, then Apple wins because Apple's content will be there, front and centre while Netflix's will be boxed within an app by their choice.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I think I will let Apple do Apple here. I have yet to see mass agreement on this site with any decision Tim Cook has made since being selected to be CEO, but yet he has overseen quarter after quarter of record sales and profits. The same people claim everything Apple does now is a failure, but somehow they are 80% higher in revenue than when he took over. Nearly double, but the competition these people and the media fawn over are barely showing a profit if at all. The business graveyard is filled with companies who had massive revenues but not profit, because their investors finally said enough is enough.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'm getting a bit selfish here but Apple hasn't backed a single media endeavor for men.

Carpool Karaoke
A fake game show about Apps
A Witherspoon / Anniston collaboration
A thriller about a murderous psycho boyfriend
A partnership with Oprah

Am I missing something?

Dana Beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm getting a bit selfish here but Apple hasn't backed a single media endeavor for men.

Carpool Karaoke
A fake game show about Apps
A Witherspoon / Anniston collaboration
A thriller about a murderous psycho boyfriend
A partnership with Oprah

Am I missing something?

Show about Emily Dickinson.

Reactions: Rojaaemon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.