Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

testflight.jpg
Apple today began notifying developers that its TestFlight Beta Testing platform is now live and available for immediate use. TestFlight Beta Testing is designed to make it easier for developers to invite users to test pre-release versions of apps.
You can now invite up to 1,000 testers to beta test your iOS apps by simply sending them an email invitation through iTunes Connect. Once they accept your invitation, testers can install your beta app on their iOS devices, get updated builds, and provide feedback, all within the TestFlight app.
TestFlight has long been used as an app beta testing platform by developers, but Apple acquired the service earlier this year with its purchase of Burstly, the company that initially developed the testing platform. After the acquisition, Apple redesigned TestFlight and relaunched it as an integrated iOS 8 service for both developers and testers.

While there are several beta testing services including HockeyApp, TestFlight aims to make the beta testing process simpler by removing the need for UDIDs and provisioning profiles. Developers can invite users to test an app with just an email address, and there are built-in tools for both internal and external testing.

End users who are invited to beta test an app will be instructed to download the TestFlight app for iOS, which became available in the App Store last month. The app is designed to deliver apps for testing, notify testers each time a new build is available, and provide tools for feedback.

Article Link: Apple's TestFlight Beta Testing Service Now Available for Developers

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
About time (Apple should have had this like 4 years ago). This will take a lot of the pain out of testing, it used to be a huge hassle. Even using TestFlight (before it was acquired), it was kind of a pain to set up a lot of testers, but not having to deal with the UDID and provisioning profiles is going to be so great. In the end, it's better information for developers and better apps on the app store because it will lead to more testers.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
About time (Apple should have had this like 4 years ago). This will take a lot of the pain out of testing, it used to be a huge hassle. Even using TestFlight (before it was acquired), it was kind of a pain to set up a lot of testers, but not having to deal with the UDID and provisioning profiles is going to be so great. In the end, it's better information for developers and better apps on the app store because it will lead to more testers.

Agreed...I thought this was already live when they release IOS 8 - better late than never...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I had just started working with a developer on my first app when that service was shut down. No more updates, he had to visit our office (which was never) and sign all the devices and install it manually. He ended up being kind of a joke and we we're about to begin work on 2.0 with a new developer, so this news makes me very happy! The end result should be much better this time.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
There are 2 different aspects to this that make it interesting. It allows you to do internal testing, for anyone on your connect account, and also more public betas. The one sort of kink in the process however, is that to release a public beta build the build has to go through the same review process as an appstore release, so you can't easily push out updates quickly.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
There are 2 different aspects to this that make it interesting. It allows you to do internal testing, for anyone on your connect account, and also more public betas. The one sort of kink in the process however, is that to release a public beta build the build has to go through the same review process as an appstore release, so you can't easily push out updates quickly.

Good point, I didn't realize a full review is required. If that's the case, that is actually a huge drag and will really slow down rapid testing changes. I don't really understand why your beta app should have to go through app review (usually more than a week every time) every time you update it. Isn't the point of the review to filter stuff for the App Store? By definition, betas won't be on the Store, so...weird. If true, that would really only make this useful for extended testing, and even then only in the late stages when changes are less frequent.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005

This is wrong. It doesn't have to go through the app review process, it just needs to be up loaded to iTunes connect.

----------

Good point, I didn't realize a full review is required. If that's the case, that is actually a huge drag and will really slow down rapid testing changes. I don't really understand why your beta app should have to go through app review (usually more than a week every time) every time you update it. Isn't the point of the review to filter stuff for the App Store? By definition, betas won't be on the Store, so...weird. If true, that would really only make this useful for extended testing, and even then only in the late stages when changes are less frequent.

Review not required, original poster has clearly not used the system

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
This is wrong. It doesn't have to go through the app review process, it just needs to be up loaded to iTunes connect.

----------

Review not required, original poster has clearly not used the system

That is not correct. According to Apple's TestFlight page:

External Testers
Once you’re ready, you can invite up to 1,000 users who are not part of your development organization to beta test an app that you intend for public release on the App Store. Apps made available to external testers require a Beta App Review and must comply with the full App Store Review Guidelines before testing can begin. A review is required for new versions of your app that contain significant changes. Up to 10 apps can be tested at a time, internally or externally.

So that clearly says that you do need to have a beta app review done before your app can be deployed to the beta-testers.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Here is a problem I have with the new TestFlight. It only works for testing with iOS8. As a developer our main focus is always to test on a wide range of devices to offer the widest range of support. There are a lot of people currently using iOS7 and not being able to use TestFlight to test with those users is just plain bad business.

The other issue I have is cross platform development. I completely understand this is now an Apple product and their main aim should be to support their own platform. That however doesn't really help out those developers that do develop cross platform apps. I'm not talking the small home brewed apps either but the big ones like Angry Birds. I have no beef against Apple for making TestFlight an Apple only testing service but that does mean I need to look for alternatives.

My choice is to use the new TestFlight and only support Apple devices running iOS8 which really limits my market or use another service that can offer a unified testing environment for my users.

I have decided to use Hockeyapp even though it is a paid service. Since I earn money to develop mobile apps for clients I find the minimal cost to be well worth it and it is nice to be able to test older versions of iOS.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
That is not correct. According to So that clearly says that you do need to have a beta app review done before your app can be deployed to the beta-testers.

Beta app review - not the same as full app review. At least that's the hope and i think based on a few people I've seen, that's the case. We just submitted a build and are waiting on review. Will see :)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Beta app review - not the same as full app review. At least that's the hope and i think based on a few people I've seen, that's the case. We just submitted a build and are waiting on review. Will see :)

Apple says: " A review is required for new versions of your app that contain significant changes"

So I'm curious what they consider "significant changes" and how they determine whether your app has them.

But the larger question is why do these apps need to be reviewed in any way? Presumably these are only going out to a limited number of people who you personally invite, right? They never touch the App Store.

Hopefully this is just a case of typical Apple overabundance of caution when implementing new technologies, the limitations of which will be loosened up in the future.

larrysalibra

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Hong Kong
TestFlight solves the problem (that Apple created with its restrictions on distributing Apps) of HOW to distribute your app to Beta testers, but it doesn't solve the problem of how to find beta testers or get them to actually test. While your most passionate users may be dying to get their hands on the latest version, they're usually not that interested in reporting bugs. What's in it for them?

But offer a few bucks a bug and lots of people will be willing to test your app and spend time filling out detailed bug reports that actually give you and your devs the info you need to fix it. That's where services like Pay4Bugs come in. We've got TestFlight integration in the works, so sign up to get notified when it launches! https://blog.pay4bugs.com/2014/09/16/testflight-support-coming-soon/ :cool::apple:

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Apple says: " A review is required for new versions of your app that contain significant changes"

So I'm curious what they consider "significant changes" and how they determine whether your app has them.

But the larger question is why do these apps need to be reviewed in any way? Presumably these are only going out to a limited number of people who you personally invite, right? They never touch the App Store.

Hopefully this is just a case of typical Apple overabundance of caution when implementing new technologies, the limitations of which will be loosened up in the future.

To try and shed some light. I have used it (yesterday). It goes through a beta app review that took maybe 5-20 mins (20 mins for me, another user reported about 5 mins). Then, when I uploaded a second build it asked if I had significant build changes and I clicked no (the truth), and that build was available almost immediately

edit: TL;dr it is a review, but it is nowhere near the time required for their normal review process which can take 3-7+ days in my experiences

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Am I correct in saying that the beta testers are not required to have a Developer account to install and test the beta software?

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Finally! You know how I beta tested my first app? I put it on the store. I updated it after to fix any bugs I noticed. The legitimate way was too annoying to deal with. Disclaimer: It wasn't professional or anything, just a one-man project.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
To try and shed some light. I have used it (yesterday). It goes through a beta app review that took maybe 5-20 mins (20 mins for me, another user reported about 5 mins). Then, when I uploaded a second build it asked if I had significant build changes and I clicked no (the truth), and that build was available almost immediately

edit: TL;dr it is a review, but it is nowhere near the time required for their normal review process which can take 3-7+ days in my experiences

I'm actually about to use the new system so thanks for the explanation.

I really hope that it isn't something that gets abused though because Apple will definitely lock it down if they do.

This is a system that can be used to bypass the AppStore, so it will definitely have to be regulated. If I were to make an app that would not pass review and it didn't have a super wide audience I could use this to distribute it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US

Good info, thanks. That's a relief that a full review is not required (although it's still odd any review is required at all). I've never had a normal review take fewer than 7 days, and the last one took 24 days (during the iOS 8 crush). The "significant changes" thing is still completely vague, I would assume people are going to just keep checking "No" until it's a problem.

Dave2084

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
There seem to be major issues with TestFlight.

Every time I receive an invite for beta testing after accepting it TestFlight tells me the invite has expired and cannot be installed. I have done this with a number of beta apps and it seems I am not the only one having the issue, I think the one star app store rating says it all.

I've been a Waze beta tester for 4 years and have used the old TestFlight and a number of other delivery methods and never had issues with installation except once when I changed my device and had to wait while my UDID was updated.

Notes:
I am using the new apple version of TestFlight.
The email address the invites are being sent to is the primary email address used for my apple ID.

Dave2084

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
UPDATE:

If you switch the clock settings from AM/PM to 24 hours it magically works.

Great work by the Apple QA team. Did they do any beta testing of TestFlight? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.