Apple the tale and the waiting for the perfect MBP 13, tell yours.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sciencia, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Sciencia macrumors newbie

First of all, I'm pretty sure this webpage is the best regarding anything related to apple and further discussions about new products and predictions, thanks for it (hellhammer, tks bro). I have been checking these forums since I got my first mb back in 2007 and that's when I started to get crazy about all everything surrounding apple products. Of course they make lots of money and you pay the price for the product but you have the quality and the care with every detail and that is what makes the difference. I'm a computer scientist and my first machine was a cp800 and a MSX when mouse was something out of the picture, after that a pc guy mainly but after 2007 things changed. No blue screen, no need to reinstall everything after few months, everything working how it should be... Oh boy, it was easy to change. Enough of it, the point that I would like to make here is that I have been waiting for a decent update of the mbp 13 since 2009 and people that is in the same boat could get together and tell their history and entertain ourselves because looks like the wait is gonna be a little more painful.

There it goes my history. Bought a black mb in 2007, amazing machine. The needs for resources started to grow and I wasn't coming back to windows... Mbp updates not a jump from my computer... Finally got a iMac i7 last year, it really flies. Gave my mb to my mom, I wanted to keep it in the family. I still need to go mobile, work from many places basically. Need a laptop for yesterday but I'm holding myself to get a mbp13 as soon it is released, 13 is my size but MBA is not enough. Have to pass through this waiting issue, every day is another day.... My 1st time writing here, sorry for the book.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I switched 3 years ago and went to a 15" MBP. 13" is just too small for me, and the older I get, the worse my vision gets anyway. I love the look of the MBA, but it's not enough computer for me.

I'm ready to upgrade, and may decide to do so with the current model instead of waiting for the SB model. Time will tell.

3. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Decided I want mbp and now waiting for next refresh.

4. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Did a lot of researching for my next laptop purchase and was surprised to find out the 13" mbp is actually the best bang for your buck. Now i'm waiting for the refresh and am hoping apple doesn't disappoint.

5. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I purchased my 13" MBP Sept. 30, 2010. At the time I had enough money to buy any Mac that I wanted so I went to the Apple Store in Best Buy and tried them all. The rep literally begged me to buy the 15" because it had the latest processor but I didn't like the look or the feel. I hate the speakers next to the keyboard. So I got the 13 and no regrets. While I was there I also picked up an Intel SSD. When the new MBAs were released a month later I had a little buyers remorse until I went and checked them out. I realized they still were not better than the MBP, no upgradeability or backlit keyboard. Unless the refresh radically changes the 13" I'll stick to what I have.

6. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I sold a 2008 Macbook Unibody recently and am eagerly waiting for the Macbook Pro 13 refresh. Core 2 duo processors are a bit old for me to spend $1100 on.

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

8. Sciencia thread starter macrumors newbie

Blog!? Why create one more useless blog? No time for that... Just had to let it out and hold my wallet. I'm gonna buy a bike instead.

9. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I'm looking to get a new MacBook pro to replace my 2006 MacBook and I'm torn on waiting or getting one now. It's not a need to replace but definitely a big WANT. I would jump all over the 13" right now would it not be for an outdated C2D processor. 13" is my preferred size but after looking at the difference I don't think 15" is too big either plus I like the discrete graphics card. I am willing to wait till about the end of February but after that I'm jumping to get one whether it's refreshed or not.

I'm looking at getting a 15" i5 and putting in 8GB of RAM and then putting in an Optibay/128GB SSD for OS/Apps and putting in a 500GB HD in for storage. Should be blazing fast.

My ideal 13" would be i5 and discrete graphics card with a resolution bump. That would make me stick with the 13".

10. DivineEvil macrumors regular

My first PC was bought in Aug 2001. It was mid range desktop... It got me till Sept 2006. By that time it was slow, but I was still able to watch movies and do some text editing and browse non flash content with ease. Then it broke. By then my brother gave me an old IBM Thinkpad a21p (made somewhere in the 2001) which had about the same specs as my first pc. Used it for about an year. So basically I used ****** PCs for more than a half decade. :D Then I used an 2005 Acer laptop... which was nothing special by then... but I maxed the RAM and HDD to 2GB and the biggest IDE HDD of 250GB by then... That laptop last me till summer of 2009 :D. Then I got the 13" base model MBP, I wanted the 15", but I couldn't afford it. But after a few days I realized the 13" was perfect. It had great screen and enough power to do the job I needed it (Word Processing, Browsing, Movies, some specific programs like matlab, multisim etc...). I upgraded the HDD a week later... Then six months later I added a second HDD (that was the previous stock 160GB HDD). Then summer 2010 I changed the 160 GB HDD to 640 GB... This year I'll buy it 8 GB RAM... In a few years an SSD... and it will hopefully serve me for another 4-5 years, if it doesn't brake.

Personally I don't see a point in buying the latest and greatest because there is only marginal productivity gain if any... as long as it can do the job right and fast enough my current Macbook Pro is sufficient. Oh and whenever Diablo III is released and if I could be able to play it :D.

11. karkid macrumors member

To be honest the current 13 processor doesn't bother me... the lack of high res option is the SOLE reason i opted for the 15 instead

12. Sciencia thread starter macrumors newbie

Man... you really make it last! Congrats! I had similar history with my black macbook... it was really hard to let it go but the processing power was just not been enough for me... I do a lot of photoshop, indesign and now starting some ios programing. Got an Imac i7 and just hope I could take it anywhere with me... so really need a laptop but not willing to burn my fire power on a Cd2... 15'' too big for me.

I wish an update with a step up from to current processor, not been too picky... cheaper SSD like the MBA... and the rest would be a plus.

13. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'm eagerly waiting a MacBook refresh to replace my dead 15in MBP. Its hard trying to hold out while Amazon is at $939 and I have a $50 credit there. to make it $889 for a new MB.

I just really hope for a 1440x900 display.

14. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I too was dead set on 13" because of the size but I was looking and the 15" is only 1.5" wider and like 1" deeper than the 13" MBP. It's really not that much bigger. I am going to go check them out side by side but looking at the numbers, it really isn't a whole lot bigger.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Bought a 13 last September, not waiting on a the refresh, if this computer was lost/stolen/broken I'd go out tomorrow and buy another C2D model 13 as I like it that much. Did I mention it is nice not having to wait? ;)

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

:eek: