Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced three new Apple Watch videos on its YouTube channel, highlighting third-party apps designed for the wrist-worn device. Each of the three videos focuses on a different subset of apps, covering music, fitness, and travel.

The videos all depict a single Apple Watch that displays a series of apps on the screen, with a selection of app icons in the surrounding space. Icons are enlarged to denote which app is on the screen.

In the "Music" video, for example, music discovery app Shazam, DJing app Pacemaker, and ticket-purchasing app StubHub are shown in quick succession.

The "Fitness" video highlights the Nike+ running app, the WaterMinder hydration tracking app, and sports scores provided by the MLB.com At Bat app.

The third and final video, "Travel," gives a brief glimpse of travel app Expedia, transportation requesting app Uber, and recommendation app Yelp.

Apple's newest short advertisements are the company's first that put third-party apps for the device directly in the spotlight. Previous ads have focused on showing off the different use cases for the device, including four videos released last week that depicted the Apple Watch being used in daily life while traveling, working out, and communicating with friends and family.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Three New Apple Watch Videos Highlighting Music, Fitness and Travel Apps

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, third party apps isn't what I'd highlight right now. Until they are native, most are close to useless. As cool as it is controlling your lights or hailing an Uber from your wrist, most of the time you are staring at loading screens or tapping to reactivate the screen as it turns off while loading.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Short, confusing, and doesn't really pique my interest to want to find out more, which I assume is the point of these micro-ads.

The thing about making a YouTube video is that is they don't cost $50K+ to air them once nationally like a TV ad. Apple could take a a minute and go over a killer app or killer feature rather than just splashing useless screens for 15 seconds. I don't think Apple did itself any favors taking advertising in-house.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Why oh why is Apple having so much trouble with Watch advertising? All ads have been huge failures. This is not like Apple. Apple has really been flopping and flailing recently. Could it be that they think they could do it all themselves in-house?

It's really simple. Show examples where people uniquely need the watch. Not people lounging around using it in an instance that any other gadget would be a better. Show people the unique instances where they would benefit from a hands free device. It's easy. This gadget is not that hard to sell.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Good song though for all three, still not sure about the capabilities.
Like shazam, does it work if you don't have an iphone with you ?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Good song though for all three, still not sure about the capabilities.
Like shazam, does it work if you don't have an iphone with you ?

Ha. Shazam on the AW barely works IF you have an iPhone with you. Or at least that's how it was when AW first shipped. maybe Shazam tweaked the app. I haven't been that curious to check it out it frustrated me so.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
"Real" Watch apps won't be out till 2.0. I'm a developer. The current ones are slowpoke remote viewers.

I got my Watch in anticipation the really useful and functional apps will appear later this year (after 2.0).

Still, for tourist travel, the current Apple Watch is really useful. I could wear a sweater or long sleeve shirt to hide the fact I was wearing anything of value (especially at night), and let the watch tap on my wrist to give my walking directions all over cities in Europe this summer.

pittaman

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
San Jose, CA
They're getting "better" . . . showcasing what the watch can do for the "average" person. Being a big baseball fan, I am loving the MLB App to keep track of my local teams. Am loving the watch more and more as I use it more and more. Was demonstrating its uses for my doctor this am and she was emphatic about getting "a couple" for Christmas presents.

Last edited:
Reactions: gijoeinla

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
I love the animation that circles the apps. It's a subtle nod to the digital crown and watch interface. Well done.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
That's funny. Do YOU have a watch?

I do. I have those apps.

And guess what. They work.

I'm actually amazed how well most apps are working. Pretty impressive when u think that they are residing on your iPhone (for now)
What Apple Watch are you using? I agree with the poster you quoted. These apps do suck. The whole watch experience sucks now. Maybe not in the future m, but right now yes.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Why oh why is Apple having so much trouble with Watch advertising? All ads have been huge failures. This is not like Apple. Apple has really been flopping and flailing recently. Could it be that they think they could do it all themselves in-house?

It's really simple. Show examples where people uniquely need the watch. Not people lounging around using it in an instance that any other gadget would be a better. Show people the unique instances where they would benefit from a hands free device. It's easy. This gadget is not that hard to sell.

Why or why are you stuck in that armchair, QB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.