Apple throws in towel in water damage lawsuit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mapmonkey, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

I wondered what had happened with this story. Well here from Yonhap the saga ends, sort of

"Apple Korea has agreed to compensate a 14-year-old iPhone user in the nation’s first iPhone damage suit filed after her device broke, supposedly due to water damage, court officials said yesterday.

Apple agreed to pay the girl, identified only as Lee, 290,000 won ($259) in the lawsuit arbitrated by a Seoul court Thursday.

Her father, Lee Chul-ho, had filed the suit on her behalf in October seeking repair fees, after an Apple service center refused to fix her iPhone 3G for free, despite the device’s one-year warranty. The service center claimed she caused the damage, citing discoloration of a water sensor inside the phone, effectively voiding the warranty, although she denied any responsibility.

Apple had tried to settle the case in December last year, but the plaintiffs refused to accept their offer, saying the ultimate purpose of the suit was aimed at demanding Apple improve its service policy.

During an undisclosed settlement proceeding on Thursday, the plaintiff accepted Apple Korea’s offer of compensation.

“Even though we did not have a court decision, Apple’s payment virtually means it acknowledged its faulty after-sale policy,” the father said.

Yonhap"

Korean media isn't exactly neutral in stories involving Apple, can't think why not:rolleyes:
    Has there been similar occurrences elsewhere ?

2. gco212 macrumors 6502

South (I assume) Korea is also not a common law country, so every one needs to understand that this applies to almost none of you.

3. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, South Korea, hardly likely to be the North now is it, and I fail to see what common law got to do with it. Care to explain or just leave me with the impression that's your being condescending to me and others reading this thread. It does have repercussions for others if the scenario of apple citing water damage invalidates a products warranty based solely on the external water sensors, which is what happened in this case.

I posted for information only and was interested to hear if this water damage scenario was being played out in other countries and not necessarily in the courts but in genius bars.

Sounds like you were having a bad day, :)

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Wow, someone's touchy!

In South Korea, perhaps, assuming similar circumstances. In other countries? No. Courts in other countries typically don't look to South Korea for case law guidance, and vice-versa.

I was going to suggest the same of you, actually.

5. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Ha Ha, touche not touchy:)

I wasn't specifically talking about courts, I did follow up with what's happening at Genius bars in similar circumstances.

No not at all lovely day till I posted really, just found it a bit abrupt to have my post so curtly dismissed and really didn't understand how anyone can come on here and say something like

I just thought folks might want to know what was going on outside of the US and Verizon:rolleyes:

I'm :cool::cool::cool: ,just might think twice about offering anything up here in future. Cyberspace can be soooo cruel ;)
    Have a lovely weekend.

6. patp Guest

To the OP thanks for sharng the story. To the other guy with the condescending attitude, why?

Why is the forum so full of negativity. Is it an Apple users trait? Never seen so much bitterness and negativity in so much abundance in one forum. I take part in a lot of music forums and have never seen the same amount of weirdness that seems to permeate this place.

My rant is not directed at only this thread, just a common attitude I see in this forum in general.

Rant over.