Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Allegedly Rekindle 'MagSafe' Brand for Magnetic iPhone Case and Wireless Charging Accessories

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
To be honest I’ve had my eye on a magnetic car mount that charges wirelessly but I think it was like $60. I expect if one was made with MagSafe it would be more but if it was good I wouldn’t care. MKBHD had an unboxing and talked about MagSafe but he didn’t think the magnet was strong enough. If it is strong enough that would be awesome.

A Belkin car vent mount was briefly shown during the presentation. So they've apparently thought about it.

I've used the Scoshe magnetic Qi mount with corresponding Speck case for a couple years and it's been decent. I'll be interested to see what becomes available in that space. Vent mount doesn't work for me though - in Georgia I need every ounce of AC that I can get.

• Love
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
A Belkin car vent mount was briefly shown during the presentation. So they've apparently thought about it.

I've used the Scoshe magnetic Qi mount with corresponding Speck case for a couple years and it's been decent. I'll be interested to see what becomes available in that space. Vent mount doesn't work for me though - in Georgia I need every ounce of AC that I can get.
I forgot the brand but Walmart had two versions. One was a vent mount and the other was a suction cup. I couldn’t do the vent mount blocking my AC in Texas summers

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
I forgot the brand but Walmart had two versions. One was a vent mount and the other was a suction cup. I couldn’t do the vent mount blocking my AC in Texas summers
iOttie has had a suction cup side clamp Qi charging phone holder.

I’m thinking I’ll replace the headunit in my truck with a wireless CarPlay unit. That may remove my need for a mount.

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
It's probably not the same people doing both. I would like the iPhone to go USB-C, and I think it is good that the MacBooks dropped MagSafe for USB-C. Yes, MagSafe was a good idea, but the charging flexibility coming with USB-C (power banks, 3rd party chargers, plug in left or right) is the greater advantage to me.
Its not a this or that issue! The USB-C port can be MagSafe too!

A very simple alteration to the case design. Just recess the case so something like the current 3rd party MagSafe USB-C adapters can be pushed into the case, that way its flush! Pull it out if you want that port freed. Move the adapter from left to right rear ports if you want the cable to come from the other side.

This is so simple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.