Apple to allow police to block iPhone video recording?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anentropic, Aug 27, 2013.

1. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The police have no power to stop people filming or taking photographs in a public place on public property here in the UK. The law has been amended recently after police were reported to be arresting photographers and demanding photographs are deleted. The police themselves did not know the law and photographers were given a document to print off and carry with them when in a situation where they are challenged.

This might be different in other countries but I cannot see the law taking this right off people here any time soon.

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The article is blocked here at work but its probably just fear mongering off of a patent that was filed that allows the remote disabling of a camera (for theaters or whatnot).

Nowhere does it show that Apple will ever implement such a thing (they patent a ton of stuff) or that police will have some secret device to prevent recordings.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's completely legal to record police, anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Absolutely legal, but cops still arrest people for doing so. It's happened in Boston even after the courts said it was legal to do so. I don't know if I would dare to take a video of the cops beating someone - to me it would be a good way to get beaten as well. Unfortunately there are too many cops who know they are doing something they shouldn't be doing and don't want to get caught on video.

The cops and security services always say "if you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" but when it's the other way around....

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Right, because everyone you know including yourself is a law abiding citizen right? Nice response.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This video-ing is the on-going battle between security and liberty.

HOWEVER, there should be a mechanism for a venue to flip your phone from ring to vibrate. How many times are we in a theater, hospital, library etc and how many time can the staff request, Quiet your Phone?

Sometimes this is not intentional, I have done it. I thought I turned it off, but I hit the wrong button, then RING! So embarrassed. Go ahead, send me signal to my phone to put it to vibrate, am down with that.

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Your response to what he said was much more inane than his, in my opinion.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And passively accepting their illegal activities [even worse so when you yourself know it's illegal] is exactly how they get away with it.

----------

You can't be serious. How about you not be forgetful instead of ceding more and more control of your personal property to people who shouldn't have it? Sometimes I walk out of my house without my ID, should we make it illegal to do so?

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Read the comment you're replying to again carefully instead of reading what you want to read.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You've fallen into the same stupid trap as others before: You believed what you see posted on the internet. The police _cannot_ turn off the camera on any iPhone except by taking the iPhone and smashing it hard enough on the ground, which they always could. The police _cannot_ turn of WiFi on your iPhone except by the method mentioned earlier, or by setting up a scrambler that will stop WiFi on any device, not just an iPhone.

Here's the _actual_ fact, widely documented: Apple has a patent on a feature that _you_ can set up on an iPhone, where the iPhone will respect signals to turn the camera off. This is for use within companies that have restricted areas, where you would have the choice of either turning this feature on, or leaving your iPhone outside, or not entering the area. There are plenty of places where you are not allowed to bring a camera or a camera phone, and this feature would allow you access to such an area.

At this point, it is just a patent, and not implemented on any iPhone or probably on any other phone.

PS. I wouldn't worry about the police in Syria. I would worry about the army, and whether you have a phone with camera with you or not doesn't make the slightest difference to them.

PPS. The stupidity of the people posting at www.veteransday.com is just beyond belief. I would be in despair about my country, except fortunately the USA isn't my country.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I guess I was brought up to get along with society. Liberty and freedom is cool, but as they say, nobody lives alone.

I suppose if I have that frontiersman mentality and live in a cabin in the woods of Ohio, OK.

Never mentioned legality.

So if u somehow manage to sneak your phone into the theater wo allowing them to flip your ringer and it starts to bother other patrons, you won't be legally charged, u will be simply be asked to leave with a full refund and be banned from such theater for 90 days. Take your business somewhere else.

12. animatedude macrumors 65816

How come there's no option in IOS 6 to record your calls?

13. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Lol. Jest? It's illegal to record calls without someones consent.

14. anentropic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I did actually understand that this is not a feature in current iPhones (as you can tell from the grammatical tense in the title I gave the thread)

I realise this is just a patent for a potential future feature.

Here is the patent for anyone who wants to read it:
    http://www.google.com/patents/US8254902

However I think it's naïve to imagine that if this capability is built into future devices then there is no chance of there being a 'backdoor' included to bypass all the nice user acknowledgement UI and just block things without consent.

My purpose of posting this was not to say "OMG this is happening now!" but rather to say: let's kick up a stink about it so they understand they can't just slip it in there in a dodgy form.

I realise too that some limited version of these features, such as automatically switching to silent mode in a movie theatre, are actually useful and could be acceptable.

15. ITALIAN9 macrumors newbie

I don't know if I would dare to take a video of the cops beating someone - to me it would be a good way to get beaten as well. His is for use within companies that have restricted areas, where you would have the choice of either turning this feature on, or leaving your iPhone outside.[​IMG]