Apple to Sell Hermès Apple Watch Collection Online Starting Friday

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Starting on Friday, January 22, both Apple and Hermès will begin offering the special edition Apple Watch Hermès via their online storefronts, reports Fashionista. Since its October debut, the Apple Watch Hermès collection has only been available for purchase in select boutique and Apple retail locations in major cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Toronto, Milan, Paris, London, Tokyo, and Beijing.

First introduced at Apple's September iPhone-centric event, the Hermès collection was made possible through a partnership between Apple and luxury brand Hermès. The collection consists of three strap options -- the Single Tour, Double Tour, and Cuff -- along with a stainless steel Apple Watch casing and a unique Hermès watch face.

[​IMG]

There are ten Hermès models in total, split between the three bands. Priced at $1,250, the leather Double Tour, which wraps twice around the wrist, includes a 38mm stainless steel watch case. It's available in four colors: Fauve, Etain, Capucine, and Bleu Jean.

The Single Tour is a more classic design that includes a 38 or 42mm stainless steel Apple Watch at prices that start at $1,100. It too comes in several colors, including Fauve, Noir, and Capucine (38mm only). The Cuff, a thicker cuff-style band, is priced at $1,500 and ships with a 42mm stainless steel Apple watch. It's available only in Fauve.

Both Apple.com and Hermes.com will be offering the full Hermès Apple Watch collection on their respective sites starting on January 22. The bands will continue to be sold as a set with a stainless steel Apple Watch and not on a standalone basis.

Article Link: Apple to Sell Hermès Apple Watch Collection Online Starting Friday

2. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

No doubt some suckers will buy these... Go figure.

More money than sense me thinks.

3. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Over a thousand dollars for an outdated watch (spare me the it's the latest technology because a newer one isn't out yet dribble lol).

4. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

5. Borin macrumors regular

Borin

Just give me the double tour band, forget the rest of the watch.

6. xARx2 macrumors member

xARx2

7. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

The band is free, $1,200 for the watch face. Sign here..............

8. Passerby1 macrumors newbie

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

10. c0LdFire macrumors regular

11. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I believe Apple have jumped the shark with the Apple Watch.

Looking at it, I think of the Netatmo weather station. Form over function.

Hoping for at least one good new Apple product in my last remaining years, nevertheless.

12. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Yes. Accent grave, not accent aigu.

Mind you, this was written by the same person who called the Nerds Broadway musical a "screenplay", and never corrected it, either.

13. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Well at least the band is beautiful! Let's just update the centre piece and we might have a sale here!

14. InsightsIE macrumors 6502a

It's amusing the opinion some people have towards fashion. They wouldn't dare say the same thing about Architecture or design or art. If they knew the craftsmanship that goes into Hermès products, their workman study in Paris for years to learn techniques of crafting the finest leather.
    Of course the product is for the rich. I can't afford the strap (I don't even own an Apple watch and I'd only buy timeless Hermès goods) but in the press conference when they announced the straps, I knew it was Hermès even before they revealed the brand by the stitching of the bracelets.
    There will be knockoffs, and I've seen decent ones online if you want the "double tour" or cuff strap style and it will look very similar from afar (or even up close) but someone who appreciates design will see the difference (and appreciate the design and craftsmanship including the testing that went into making the double tour design work with Apple watch).

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

"Suckers" "fools"...every Watch thread is full of people being jerks. :rolleyes:

16. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

This is why Apple will never allow custom watch faces, they can charge you for them like this...

17. wikiverse macrumors 6502a

They may be jerks, but it doesn't make them wrong.

18. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

The Macrumors techie demographic is not one that cares much (or appreciates) high fashion. Hence the comments.

19. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

Rolex Edition plsss.. with exclusive Rolex Watch Face.

20. ttss6 macrumors 6502

I'm aware this is my opinion, but you're getting more bang for your $1200 bucks buying a black stainless link watch than a Hermes one. Leather is nice and all, but won't last wearing it often. Metal might get scratched, but is much more durable and the engineering and design that went into it is pretty compelling

21. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Apologies for the embarrassing error, it's been fixed! Thanks for the heads up. Also, re: Nerds, I didn't see the comment on that until now (sometimes it gets busy so I miss a comment here and there), but I've changed the wording. BTW, if you see us make little accidental mistakes like this, quickest way to let us know is to shoot us an email. I can always be reached at juli@macrumors.com and I really appreciate it when you guys let me know about something that got overlooked.

22. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

I love reading tech nerds opinions on fashion. Such a completely different audience.

I'll just say, fashion is a multi-billion dollar industry. The first tech company that can successfully bridge that gap will be amazing. I'm not saying the Apple Watch necessarily does that, but it's the next logical step for Apple to expirement with.

I'm sure it pisses off all the people wanting Apple to make a mid-range Mac Pro mini tower, but the Apple Watch only makes sense in Apple's progression.

23. KPOM, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

KPOM macrumors G5

Nice! Hopefully this will continue for the next generation. Perhaps this is a sign that they are closing out and that Watch 2 is on the way soon. The only downside now is that I'll lose a little bit of exclusivity. This was harder to get than the Edition. :( But hopefully it means I'll get an updated version more easily. :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2016 ---
    It's a premium of $450 over the normal Classic Band. That's about right for an Hermes band. As for "outdated" technology, chances are pretty good that a lot of the buyers won't be replacing it every year. It has the same warranty as the Edition (2 years standard, with AppleCare+ a $99 option for a third year).

24. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I think Apple is being ridiculous trying to make the watch a "fashion piece". It's a gadget. Not a luxury watch. There are A LOT of luxury watches that look A LOT nicer than the Apple Watch. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important that it's sleek and nice looking. Apple, for the most part, is very good at that. But, they're trying too hard to market the watch as something it's not. The Apple Watch is for people who want access to their phone on their wrist. People who want to control their Apple TV, or thermostat, or lights....with Siri, right there on their wrist. It's for people who like using technology. From a fashion standpoint, it doesn't hold a candle to a high quality timepiece. But that's just me.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

I disagree. A colleague of mine who doesn't have the Apple Watch says her main complaint is that it looks too much like a tech item. I showed her my Hermes (Single Tour) and she thought it made it look much more like a "regular" watch and would consider it. The next part for her would be to have a watch face on all the time so that it "looks like" a watch from a distance. She's easily got the $1250 for the Double Tour.