Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Sell TiVo's?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One reader notes:

In TiVo's quarterly financial call yesterday, it was mentioned that Apple will begin selling TiVos in some of its retail stores.

TiVo announced their results yesterday, with better than expected numbers. TiVo's Home Media Option allows the sharing of songs and photos with your computer and provides Mac support.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Man thats weird. I wish Apple would develop their own version, or work with TiVo to that everything can be controlled via your mac. Id love to have my Powerbook be the center of my home entertainment system.

Comment

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
TiVo's Home Media Option allows the sharing of songs and photos with your computer and provides Mac support.

Isn't this product for recording TV broadcasts?

Comment

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
splooge

I hope this will lead to further collaboration at the product level... splooge.

-p

Comment

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
TiVo's Home Media Option allows the sharing of songs and photos with your computer and provides Mac support.

Originally it was for just recording TV broadcasts, but I believe that they expanded to other features, like the fore-mentioned Media Option. Not completely sure though.

Comment

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by Sonofhaig

The Home Media Option allows your photos to be viewed on your TV, and your songs to be played through your TV sound system.

Comment

NitzerX

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
This is could be wicked cool. Who's hardware are they going to sell? TiVo doesn't build any itself. Hmmm... :cool:

Comment

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: splooge

Originally posted by psxndc
I hope this will lead to further collaboration at the product level... splooge.

-p

That's where I see the benefit. Sure, we'd love it to be an Apple machine, but why have the company get distracted with things that aren't its core business.

What's much more important is that it suggests the two companies will cooperate, so the products will work together. THat's great, since usually stuff like this works only with windoze junk.

Comment

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Hopefully this means the TiVo HMO will soon support AAC (right now it's MP3 only).

For me, it's a moot point. I have a Series I TiVo standalone, which doesn't do HMO, and I have a Series 2 DirecTiVo, which also doesn't do HMO.

I would LOVE to see Apple just buy TiVo.

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by carletonmusic
I say stay pure with apple stuff.

Apple retail stores already sell EyeTV, why not Tivo? After all, Tivo is a great showcase for Rendezvous integration...

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Interesting system requirements for HMO

Interesting set of requirements:

Mac: OS X 10.2, 400MHz G3, 256MB, iTunes 3.0.1

PC: Win98/WinME/Win2K/WinXP, 233MHz PII, 64MB

Comment

rogermhsu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
This is could be wicked cool. Who's hardware are they going to sell? TiVo doesn't build any itself. Hmmm...

Actually, TiVo does make their own hardware. In addition, many of the largest consumer electronics companies make set-top boxes that contain TiVo functionality. One of the largest manufacturers of TiVo-enabled set-top boxes is Hughes who makes an integrated DirecTV/TiVo set-top box (it is a totally awesome product!). Other manufacturers include Sony, Philips, and perhaps some others that I can't think of right now.

Comment

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Isn't Tivo subscription based? I don't think it will see any more success than it already has.

It's good that Apple is willing to work with others' technology, but I think they could have found something more cutting edge, than Tivo.

Comment

macgenerate

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
I wondered why I saw Tivo's sitting on the floor at the Columbus, Oh Apple Store last Tuesday. Now I know... There were only 2 or 3 tivo boxes and they weren't really displayed well, actually they were sitting under one of the computer counters.. but they were there, I actually almost bought one.

Anyway, just though I would post my observation.

Comment

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Probably Philips

Originally posted by NitzerX
This is could be wicked cool. Who's hardware are they going to sell? TiVo doesn't build any itself. Hmmm... :cool:

They probably will go with Philips since the two are partner on Rendezvous for future products.;)

Comment

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by carletonmusic
I say stay pure with apple stuff.

like many mice that are cross platform?

or non apple software?

sure, it would work with the mac i'd say... but i think this is a decent indication that perhaps there will be some connection between the two sometime in the future, if not very soon.

Comment

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
This is great... the more hardware manufacturers that open up the compatability with Apple will only lead to good things. That means people won't sit on the fence and say "well I can't buy an apple because it doesn't work with my tivo." Plus I think it works good for tivo because they may sell more products to people who have both PCs and macs.

Comment

rogermhsu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Isn't Tivo subscription based? I don't think it will see any more success than it already has.

Yes, TiVo is generally subscription based. I say generally because you can get it for free if you get the high-end DirecTV channel package. Otherwise, it costs $5/month with any other DirecTV package. I think it costs $12.95/month with cable.

In terms of success, I think they can be very successful. Their most recent quarterly results showed very strong growth. And if you've ever used TiVo, you'd likely agree that they have a very compelling product. It's somewhat hard to convey exactly what the product does, but once you've used it, you'll never want to go back to watching "regular" TV.

Comment

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Originally posted by MorganX

You must have missed the link about Tivo's most recent quarter. Again, cnet news.com has Tivo's 1Q results.

Comment

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Cool.

Now, if only we could get the recorded TV shows off of the TiVo and onto my Mac. As I understand, you can hack a Series 1 box to do that, I believe, but not a Series 2.

Comment

Styx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Rochester Hills, MI
TiVo facts...

Let me clarify a few things that may have been mistakenly posted:

I have a TiVo series 2 DVR and the Home Media Option (HMO). Here is the scoop.

- records TV shows
- pauses live TV
- connects to home network through USB to Ethernet adapter (either wired or wireless)
- it is not Rendezvous, yet! You have to configure settings manually.
- displays pictures from iPhoto libraries (w/ HMO)
- plays iTunes playlists (w/HMO, but only MP3's. It does not currently support AAC files as purchased on iTunes Music Store, bummer!)
- It can be a subscription service if you wish it to be at $12.95 per month, or buy a single lifetime membership for $299.
- Home Media Option (which gives you the iPhoto and iTunes functionality as well as remote access from the web) costs at a cost of $99, a one time fee.

If you were to make a home entertainment purchase this year, this is the one to make. It will revolutionize the way you watch TV and bring your music and photos to the big screen!

Comment

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
re: Interesting system requirements for HMO

Interesting set of requirements:

Mac: OS X 10.2, 400MHz G3, 256MB, iTunes 3.0.1

PC: Win98/WinME/Win2K/WinXP, 233MHz PII, 64MB

I personally shudder at the thought of trying to do anything on a PII 233 w/ 64MB of RAM running XP. I have used such a system, and I seriously doubt it would come close to doing anything you want.

At least on the Mac specs. There is enough memory to allow the OS to work.

I wouldn't try to run this app on either set of minimum speed machines, and if I did, my money would be on the Mac to out perform.

Max

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.