Apple to set up 3000-person tech support center in India

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 9, 2006.

1. MacBytes macrumors bot

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Awesome! Now I can talk to "John" in India who just got done watching Seinfield episodes to learn how to 'be more American'.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Score! Nuclear reactors and call centers. Its been a great month for India!

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, unless Apple can pull off what no other tech company has, it looks like they no longer care about the number 1 rating they've been given for customer service.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This can't be true, can it? Apple wouldn't be this stupid...

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

*Darth Vader No*
    I can't believe it...oh well, I guess they'll have some strict rules....hopefully. Maybe Apple thinks they'll need a lot more tech support?:confused: :rolleyes:

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What?! I spent 300+ for Apple Care™ and they do this? :mad:

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

They better have damn good overseas support, or this'll probably turn out as bad as Dell's tech support...ugh...:mad:

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Depressing to say the least. I had hoped Apple would see that this is not a good idea, based on the quality of other India based call centers like Dell.

Well I had already written to Apple about this about two weeks ago so I've already offered my opinion.

10. asencif macrumors 6502

Terrible. You can talk about them going to Intel or only thinking about iPods, but this to me is a horrible move. Yeah let's save money and follow MS, Dell, and all the other corporations that have their call center in India. Bad move and definitely not thinking different anymore. Macs are still great, but things seem to be getting too similar now at Apple as other computer companies. Let's hope their designs still continue to stand out.

11. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

It appears Apple has not learned from Dell's past mistakes. I thought it was pretty clear that American consumers don't really care for this sort of things. What is Apple thinking? Did Dell just buyout Apple?

12. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Outsourcing sucks. It deprives Americans of jobs, and bolsters the economies of foreign countries. Not to mention that you can't understand the people you're talking to.

13. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

It's ironic how on the same day this was announced, iLL WiLL PreSS releases their new cartoon, Tech Support III. :p (Warning: Contains fowl language)

14. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I am conflicted about this.

1) This is another American company out-sourcing jobs that could

but

2) These jobs are terrible, meaning Americans with their inflated sense of self importance would not covet these positions.

but again

3) Furthermore ,the Indian call takers are often quite over-qualified for what they are doing. This is a mixed bag, because an unchallenging job does not inspire an employee to do that job well, although the potential exists for excellent customer service.

and a side note

4) We asked for this. We told Apple that their bottom line was very important to us (as many of the investors on this site will tell you) and the rest of us told Apple that we want them to keep prices down (which means cutting corners).

Because I am writing a paper on a topic that is quite similar to this, I feel that this is a good opportunity to share a small philosophical point that may spark some quality reflection about "our beloved Apple".

Richard Sennett just wrote a book about the changing face of capitalism. In it he takes a lot of time to outline two constructions of a business (not the only two constructions, but two that he sees as dominant in the business world. His two business models are the Bismarkian bureaucracy and the flexible "MP3" organization. The following is an exerpt from my paper outlining the two.

My question about Apple stems from the writings of another critical thinker that we have recently read, Charles W. Anderson (Former Professor at the University of Wisconsin). Anderson explores the idea of liberal democracy as an everyday morality. He asks many difficult questions of his readers and displays a doctrine that can be crudely summed up as:

• Life is a mystery, we can only know part of the "truth" (JS Mill)
    • Even though life is a mystery, that does not preclude our need to search for the truth (Plato, Kant, Neitzsche , etc.)
    • We are awake and aware, but realization comes only in flashes.
    • We must pass cultural and critical thinking tools on to future generations. (?)
    • Humanity as homogeniety (although everyone is an individual)
    • Mistrust institutions/reasons in favor of self examination/criticism.
    • We must practice "positive freedom" (freedom for... not freedom from)
    • We are expected to be responsibly creative. (Calvin)

So, as I am writing my paper now I am asking (of the above to business models specifically, but can be generalized):

1. Does the organization foster "Positive" freedom?
    2. Does the organization provide vocations for its employees?
    3. Are they self examining and responsibly creative?
    4. And how does the organization foster Individuality and free will?

This spark interesting discussion; however, I may very well just be sleep deprived. I need to go finish this paper now. Discuss amongst yourselves.

15. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I think why they are doing this is so they can have 24-hour tech support. Becuase India is on the opposite side of the globe. When it is night in America, it will be day time in India. They would have a hard time doing such a large 24-hour tech support thing in the US.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Want a US-based call center? Volunteer to work for Apple at the same rate Indian workers will work for.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

eh i never call apple, i just go down to an apple store. I hate talking on the phone. i rather just make an appointment online and just show up around that time and play until i hear my name called!

18. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

I swear if I have to talk to someone at Apple who commands the English language as well as the folks at Dell (meaning, when I call in about an LCD and say the "left third" is dark, that the first two people I talk to actuallly comprehend the word "third") I will FRIGGIN LOSE IT!

19. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

You may be surprised to know that the last "english speaking" person that you talked to on tech support was probably Indian. Overseas call centers invest a lot of capital in communication training.

Someone back me up on this, it was in an article around here (the internet) recently.

20. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

But it's not just down to the rates. The complete Apple "experience" is threatened by a cut corner like this. Lots of people need help with their computer in its lifetime and want to feel like they're just as much a part of the family after purchase. If this is more likely to create negative experiences with Apple, then it's not in their best interest despite the wage.

21. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Dear Steve -
    Please don't do that whole "India support" thing.
    Thanks.

22. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Save your money and come here with your questions/problems. You'll get quicker and more accurate answers :cool:

23. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

American support has always been one of the things I've liked about Apple.

Then throw in that India didn't cut it for Dell, and this doesn't look good. Indian call centers may reduce costs, but a decline in customer service has the potential to also reduce revenues -- possibly negating the benefit, if at large enough scale.

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I asked for neither.

25. dontmatter macrumors 6502a

apple would rather you do that too, apple would REALLY rather you do that. Evil plans to sell gadgets, I say those stores are.