Apple to Upgrade iApps in the Coming Months

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Over the past couple of years, Apple has been introducing more consumer applications, casually dubbed "iApps" to help promote the Mac as the center of your digital life.

The application list has grown long and now includes: iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iSync, and iCal. Professional versions of some of these applications also exist, which include DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro.

As previously reported, iTunes is set for a significant upgrade at or around MacWorld SanFrancisco with adoption of Rendezvous technology, as well as support for the AAC MPEG4 format.

In the coming months, it appears all of Apple's iApps are due for revision. iDVD 3, iMovie 3 and iPhoto 2 (previous details), iSync GM, and iCal updates are expected. Apple is expected to increase integration between the iApps, provide international support as well as introduce a new Application in the coming months.

In the meanwhile, Spymac reports that Final Cut Pro will also be upgraded to version 4 in January.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Isn't iChat supposed to get an overhaul in 10.2.3?

I also remember seeing somewhere that iSync beta actually has a expiry date, does anyone remember?

I would guess that either or iMovie/iDVD will get an update at the DV Expo on December 10 (this has been the launching pad in the past for software updates, Final Cut Pro was updated at last years from memory).

Also, RAILhead has hinted at updated iApps.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Nice.... the two iApps I'm waiting for are iMovie 3 and iDVD 3... iMovie simply needs an upgrade, it's been too long since the initial release. In iDVD 3 I need to be able to make chapters.

Other than that, I'm pretty much happy right now, but of course, we all love updates, don't we? :p

What if Steve announces updates for ALL the iApps at MWSF? That'll be awesome.. but of course, it won't happen...

irmongoose

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If we get FCP4 in january, I'm going to be very happy. I'm also hoping that some of the recent purchases of Apple get adapted for this next version. Very cool!!!

D

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
I hope they fix the bug in iTunes where whenever you are playing a CD it pauses every few seconds and creates gaps in the song. Very annoying and makes iTunes useless for playing CDs. I thought it was just me but I have heard of many people that have the same problem, but no fix.

agent302

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2001
What about Appleworks? It's by far the most stagnant of Apple's applications and gone the longest since a major upgrade (Appleworks 6 was released at MWSF 2000; it's been almost 3 years!)

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Originally posted by agent302
What about Appleworks? It's by far the most stagnant of Apple's applications and gone the longest since a major upgrade (Appleworks 6 was released at MWSF 2000; it's been almost 3 years!)
I think what you are seeing here is a fundemental move away from appleworks, or at least what used to be apple works. Apple is more and more serious about abandoning M$. IF the lose explorer, that is a pretty bold move. In order to compete with Office, Appleworks has to be not only upgraded, but practically redone, incorporating open office or thinkfree office.

There were rumors a while back about apple and Open Office, be nice to get it already installed on machines. I think people are sick enough of microsoft that the concept of open source and multi-programmer apps is starting to enter the mainstream. A few years ago, your average computer user had no clue what Linux was, now Dell seel it on their site.

Its a changing worl folks, but the big change I'd like to see is different compession options in iMovie. I use FCP for all my editing, but sometimes I use iMovie on my Pism as a monitor when I'm shooting, I like to grab some of those seens, but the DV compression is way to large for something I'm not really going to cut.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by iN8
I hope they fix the bug in iTunes where whenever you are playing a CD it pauses every few seconds and creates gaps in the song. Very annoying and makes iTunes useless for playing CDs. I thought it was just me but I have heard of many people that have the same problem, but no fix.
problem? what CD problem? never heard of this before...relevent threads would be nice

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

problem? what CD problem? never heard of this before...relevent threads would be nice
I have to agree here, I have never had a problem wih CDs in iTUnes. Not in 9 or X. If anything, iTunes makes Cds better by crossfading the track ends.

I am really looking forward to rondevous iTunes now that my airport network is up and running.:D

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
What a prediction

The headline might as well say: Apple may or may not do something by 2003. What sort of alogorithm is used to make such daring statements? And then to follow up with complaints and gripes about some irrelevant or imaginary issues that only pertains to .003 % of Mac users. :p Now I got that off my chest, I would love to see Appleworks kick some a$$.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Hmmm, wanna bet that Final Cut Pro 4 will be 100% Cocoa ...

The rumor of OS X on AMD along with a beta of FCP is my rational.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Originally posted by impierced
Hmmm, wanna bet that Final Cut Pro 4 will be 100% Cocoa ...

The rumor of OS X on AMD along with a beta of FCP is my rational.
You are deifinitely right, here, given that FCP 4 probably will be released around the time that new machines start booting into X only. Bye bye 9. I've been X only for two monthsnow, and everything is wonderfull.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Apple will announce OS X Server for x86! (j/k!!!!)

Really, I hope Mail gets some tweaking....it never seems to grab all messages from my POP account

pissedatpalm.co

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2002
FCP 4

Last year Apple introduced FCP 3 at DV Expo with much fanfare. I understand they have a large presence this year. I would think that show is far more appropriate for a release of FCP 4 than MacWorld. The dates are Dec. 9-11 at the LA Convention Center.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
I'd like to see some audio editing features built into itunes or a completely seperate "iaudio." That would be a huge plus for imovie users. Just a simple app with one or two track recording and editing,some basic AU plugins etc. then send audio to imovie or itunes.

Eventually you could even expand this to include surround editing when they get that built into the imac. (my personal fantasy)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by railthinner
I'd like to see some audio editing features built into itunes or a completely seperate "iaudio." That would be a huge plus for imovie users. Just a simple app with one or two track recording and editing,some basic AU plugins etc. then send audio to imovie or itunes.

Eventually you could even expand this to include surround editing when they get that built into the imac. (my personal fantasy)
Didn't Apple buy an Audio Editing app? They'll probably eventually come out with a Pro Audio app soon. I hope it's competitively priced. I dunno about iTunes 4 though, didn't they just release 3 a few months ago?

I would love an updated Appleworks though, 6 is getting kind of stale.

The possible new apps (i and Pro) do look very promising.

elliotay

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
iTunes update

If iTunes gets upgraded to incorporate AAC audio, then does this mean the iPod's will be able to play and store AAC audio? I remember a discussion a while back about whether or not the iPod will actually be able to play AACs with a firmware update. Some said yes some said no. I really hope I don't have to buy a new iPod just to get AAC integration.

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
AAC for Palm devices?

What about AAC audio for Palm OS devices (Sony Clie, etc.)? Anyone know of Palm software to play AAC audio? I heard it was less processor intensive than MP3, so you'd think a simple software algorithm would do the trick.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by solvs

Didn't Apple buy an Audio Editing app? They'll probably eventually come out with a Pro Audio app soon. I hope it's competitively priced.
Yeah, they bought Emagic the makers of Logic (Platinum, gold, micro etc. and hardware) which is very much a pro app. In my opinion though, we haven't seen anything come of it that wouldn't have otherwise happened--YET. and I hope that's a bit yet. I've thought it's extremely peculiar they don't carry Logic in their stores since they own it. What's up with that? Especially since they carry Live, Reason, and others.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by Tue12
I'd like to see iMovie 3 as 100% Cocoa.
Why?

Cocoa offers a different API, not a better API than Carbon. Rewriting perfectly good apps in Cocoa is a bit pointless really. Also, judging by apps like Mail, iCal and Fern run noticeably slower than ones done with Carbon.