machpost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I think this behavior started after I upgraded to TVOS 14. Nearly every time I turn on the Apple TV, I'm logged out of the App Store and have to log back in. Sometimes I have to do it twice. Is anyone else experiencing this? No amount of re-booting or manually signing out and back in again seems to help. It feels like a typical Apple bug these days, so I'm wondering if others are seeing this issue. I'm ready to toss it out the window.

Spindel

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
This is driving me insane. I have a Apple TV 4 and an Apple TV 4K and both keep logging me out of iTunes.

Whats even more irritating is that there is no logic to this. I might wake one of my ATVs from sleep and start playing a movie from iTunes for my kids. Then I send the kids to bed and go to watch something on ATV+ and it logs me out when starting the ATV app. Other times I have to log in from the beginning. And some times it might be running for a couple of days between log ins. I'ts the same on both ATVs in my house.

I have not tried a reset, and would rather try to avoid it. But since I have the same problem on 2 different units I'm doubtful a reset will fix the issue.

EDIT:// And yeah the problems started recently (probably with tvOS 14 update, but I can't pinpoint it). Before random log outs happened, but they where rare and hardly anything that I got irritated with. The biggest problem right now (except that I have a password that is a PITA to write even with the iPhone) is that if this happens for my wife while I'm not home she is locked out of iTunes and ATV+.

Reactions: CongressDJ

steinbch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I have a similar issue that might be related. My Up Next keeps disappearing and requires a reboot on all of my AppleTVs. It will work fine for a moment and then disappear as soon as the AppleTV goes to sleep. This also is impacting whether the AppleTV recognizes that I have an AppleTV+ subscription.

Reactions: CongressDJ

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
Yes I’ve had this happen multiple times. Reboot doesn’t fix it, I must sign out and sign back in. Symptom that shows me the issue is that I open Apple TV and it says I don’t own any movies, and my Up Next isn’t displaying anything I was previously watching.

CongressDJ

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Omg yes. This definitely started happening after the tvOS 14 upgrade. I thought my kids were doing it at first, but nope. It happened within an hour of me letting it fall asleep and going back in. Settings will still show me as logged in, but “up next” and anything having to do with Apple TV+ will show me as logged out. The only way for me to get back in is act like I am signing up a new subscription. At least that’s the quickest way. I can then enter my iTunes email and password, and it will notify me I am already a subscriber and then I’m good.

Pinfolk

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
I’m having the same problem and it drives me bonkers. The logging out of the Apple store has happened 2 times a week, sometimes 3, since after updating to tvOS 14. I think it’s considered a bug, so I submitted a bug report to Apple. I was hoping the subsequent update since tvOS 4 was released would have addressed the problem, but it has not. Here’s hoping for tvOS 14.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.