Apple TV 4K remote - Voice search doesn't work

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Is there a fix to this? When I am on youtube and I want to search by voice, the microphone button on the remote just exits the app and does an Apple TV search instead. I cannot use the remote to do any searches. By older Apple TV works perfectly fine. is this a known issue? My girl's Apple TV does the same thing.

Thanks.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2015
I’ve just this second had a chance to check my YouTube app on ATV4K and dictation search works fine.
Are you sure you’re selecting the search function first down the left hand side before you press the mic button?
It’s the same with all apps, you need to select the search function first.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I’ve just this second had a chance to check my YouTube app on ATV4K and dictation search works fine.
Are you sure you’re selecting the search function first down the left hand side before you press the mic button?
It’s the same with all apps, you need to select the search function first.

Yes, I am selecting that on the Apple TV 4K. When I press and hold my mic button, it exits YouTube, and does an Apple TV search instead.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2015
The fact is it shouldn’t be behaving in the way you describe so if you’re definitely opening the search bar first before pressing the mic button then the only obvious things to try would be:
1) Make sure both the ATV and Apps are updated to the latest versions.
2) Double press the home button and manually close down all apps and then re-open them.
3) If you’ve tried the first two then there’s just one of two things left to rule out, a Restart.
4) Last resort a Reset.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
The fact is it shouldn’t be behaving in the way you describe so if you’re definitely opening the search bar first before pressing the mic button then the only obvious things to try would be:
1) Make sure both the ATV and Apps are updated to the latest versions.
2) Double press the home button and manually close down all apps and then re-open them.
3) If you’ve tried the first two then there’s just one of two things left to rule out, a Restart.
4) Last resort a Reset.
I will try a reset, none of the other options worked. Thanks.

Reactions: -Gonzo-