Apple TV and other macs connected to same wifi, yet not airplay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Shimfs, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Shimfs macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have just bought an Apple TV recently. I have set it up at my home (a college dorm) and i am connected to the WIFI with it. My mac and iPad is connected to the same wifi network. Yet, i don't get the airplay icons (it worked at my parents wifi)

What can be the issue, and how to resolve it?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

It's the wifi provided by the dorm?

Are there a lot of computers showing up in your finder? If not they probably have "wireless association" turned off. That means that different wireless devices can't talk to each other. Good if you're in a place with a bunch of random people like a dorm. But normally not necessary in homes.

3. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm no, i can't see others in finder.
    Is there a way to circumvent this?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

No, not on the dorm wifi.

You need to make your own network.

Easiest would if have a wired connection, and add a router and make your own private wireless network, but your campus IT department probably has rules against that.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can also create an ad-hoc wireless LAN with your Mac and connect up to 5 devices (if memory serves) to it.

7. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yeah, i could make the ad hoc one :p that can serve until i get a new router.

(the IT-department won't notice i set up a router, as far as i know. And if i do it properly)