Apple TV+ complete failure?

Allyance

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
For all the naysayers, your loss. Not all the content is for everybody. Started the new series "Dear" tonight, and it is very good.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I made the mistake of watching all of For All Mankind in a couple weeks and now am impatiently sitting waiting for Season 2, which sadly will probably be 6-10 episodes long again, followed by another half year wait.

I really want a 21 episode season style back. It worked for Star Trek The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, as well as Farscape and Babylon 5!!!

Reactions: jbachandouris

jwip

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
Not For All Mankind?!
For all mankind and See are the only things Iv been able to get into. The rest I just can't seem to get to hold my attention. :(

Hopefully they just have growing pains and will get better shows out in the near future.

Kat17man

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2020
Having had this since November, I can say I was impressed with the acting in the morning show. But beyond that, if they keep releasing “C” rated movies and shows and at a horrific pace, this will fail miserably.
At $5 bucks a month? A bit more than a latte. I'm in 'til the cows come home...Oh, and free the first year if you buy an Apple product like an iPhone.

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
I don't know how long the free for a year will continue, but over macs, notebooks, iPads, aTVs, and iPhones, there aren't going to be many years without a free subscription for me. This year is the first for a long time!

I'm just really hoping they make the most of the Foundation series. Having a big preview in the keynote is a promising sign. With luck it'll be an epic series at least the length of something like breaking bad, not just a short summary of the story over a few hours.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
The Beastie Boys doc was really good, and the sound mix was one of the best I've heard.

ATV+ is not a service I'd pay for at this point, but let the freebies continue rolling...

Namara

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon

SegNerd

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
I’m going to have to agree with you that Apple TV Plus is a flop. With the free trial, I can’t find a single show I can even stand to watch.

It is especially weak on comedy. I guess somebody likes Mythic Quest and Central Park - but not me.

I still wish Apple had used Plus to bring back Futurama. If they had done that, I would be happy to pay year-round even if there were no other shows on the service.

This is pure speculation, but I think there has to be a significant overlap between Mac people and Futurama people.😁

AVBeatMan

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2010
I wonder if Apple have new content in the pipeline to release just as peoples 12 month subscriptions come to an end? I’ve watched The Morning Show, Amazing Stories and For all Mankind but can’t find anything else I’d like to watch. I just wonder if they are spacing out releasing shows?

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Mythic Quest is a master class in character development. Within the first 10 minutes of the first episode, you already know who the main players are. Fantastic cast. Especially, F. Murray Abraham and the girl who plays Poppy.

I’ve only seen 4 episodes so I’m looking forward to the rest. Unfortunately I’ll have to binge watch the remaining with the free week offer. I’ll certainly take advantage of a free year with hardware purchase.
Hey Apple, start launching some new Apple TV or new iMac.

Martinpa

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
I, for one, will be happy to pay after my free year is over.

I’ve watched Amazing Stories and Mythic Quest. I’ve started See (can’t say I have been hooked as much as I though it could, but I’ll at least finish the first season), Central Park and For All Mankind. I still want to check out The Morning Show, Home Before Dark, Defending Jacob, Out On Television and Greyhound when it’s out. Home is interesting too. Little America and Servant, i might check out eventually. I have to watch the trailers for Trying and Little Voices to see if I’ll check them out. Foundation could be great, and other upcoming project could be interesting... (I realize I’m almost listing everything at this point). A lot of things I would’ve watched by now, but our TV is being monopolized by the people in the house who don’t Have a job because of the pandemic (I’ve had my choice of tv programming for maybe 6 full hours since March...), and the things I wouldn’t mind watching on my phone, I’d do so at the gym, which is not possible right now...

Their UX is soooooo problematic though. A friend bought a new MacBook Pro recently, opened the Apple TV app and just saw things to buy/rent so she canceled her free trial without ever seeing or being made aware of what was Apple TV+ and what’s part of it. Maybe they should have buttons at the top clearly marked with “Apple TV+”, “Library”, “Store” and “Add Channel”, or at least something that makes it clear what is free, what comes at an additional charge and what you have bought/rented. As it stands, without any explanation, the app is trying to be too many things at once: subscription service aggregator, rentals, purchases and video library, but nothing is explicit. The fact that nothing was done to course-correct this mess in tvOS 14 is mind-boggling. Hopefully they’ll introduce a change when/if they introduce new Apple TV hardware.

Reactions: Nightfury326

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Having had this since November, I can say I was impressed with the acting in the morning show. But beyond that, if they keep releasing “C” rated movies and shows and at a horrific pace, this will fail miserably.
I've had my money worth out of a few shows. I think Apple have the budget to keep throwing billions at it until there's a large amount of quality content.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Their UX is soooooo problematic though. A friend bought a new MacBook Pro recently, opened the Apple TV app and just saw things to buy/rent so she canceled her free trial without ever seeing or being made aware of what was Apple TV+ and what’s part of it.
For sure. The ATV+ branding and content really gets lost. Litmus test, if I'm not around my family watches Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, even Amazon Prime (since we figured out how to toggle the 'free to me' option). AppleTV+ isn't even on their radar.

Reactions: Nightfury326

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The UI of ATV+ (or rather, the TV App) tries to be the Amazon Prime Video UI and fails at all of it. Not that the Amazon implentation works much better, that is.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've been watching since my iPhone SE arrived, as I got the 1 year free.

It was really difficult to find the original content but Defending Jacob has been very good.

I don't believe that there is any free content, because it's so difficult to find what isn't for sale or rent. There might be a lot.

I watch Hulu and Tubi mainly, and I watched BritBox for a while.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
You pretty much have to know the title of the ATV+ shows and just search for them. Same for me and Amazon. I often can't find anything and now just default to 'search'. Doesn't help that on the other platforms they're hard on pushing their garbage 'original' content that ends up being mostly reboots of 80s shows. I remember how season 4 of AirWolf turned out. never. ever. again. I have zero interest in a rebooted Amazing Stories. Bring the original back, please. Anyone remember the classic 'The Mission' episode about the B-17 ball-turret gunner? I wish I could just buy the whole OG series. Not available on any platform...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The only show I'm even into on ATV+ hasn't released Season 2 yet. If it's anything like the wait for season 3 of The Orville on Hulu, I might be out of luck completely....Maybe For All Mankind was intended to end after 1 season...like Firefly....

Nütztjanix

Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I've been watching since my iPhone SE arrived, as I got the 1 year free.

It was really difficult to find the original content but Defending Jacob has been very good.

I don't believe that there is any free content, because it's so difficult to find what isn't for sale or rent. There might be a lot.

I watch Hulu and Tubi mainly, and I watched BritBox for a while.
When you scroll down in the TV app, you eventually get to the tv+ section. There you can scroll horizontally through all the original content. I do agree that it’s unnecessarily complicated, though.

• Angry
Reactions: djjeff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.