Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There have been several mockups of the next-generation iPhone and Apple's much-rumored iWatch, but few designers have tackled what could lie in store for Apple's upcoming revamped Apple TV set-top box.

German technology magazine Curved has explored what the future of the Apple TV could look like, posting some conceptual images of a set-top box that includes iPhone 5s design elements and a touch-based remote.

appletvconceptremote.jpg
The reimagined remote control features a touch interface that mimics the existing interface of the Apple TV, offering access to specific channels like Netflix along with specific controls for music and playback.
The main attraction is the revamped remote control, completely redesigned as a touch device that might be wirelessly rechargeable via Apple TV. iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c are still functioning as remote controls as well. Additionally, a separate App Store for Apple TV should be available. With 9,8 x 9,8 cm, it comes in the same size as the 2-year-old 3rd generation, but will be even thinner with 1,67 cm. We expect models to be available in grey, gold and silver.
There has been no indication that Apple is planning on launching a product with a touch-based remote control, but an analyst suggested the company could go in that direction back in 2012.

It is also unclear what a redesigned Apple TV might look like, but Curved imagines a new product might retain the existing product's square shape while adopting some of the features of the iPhone 5s, such as a shiny white or black exterior with gold and slate accents.

appletvtouch_2.jpg
Rumors have indicated that Apple has plans to release a redesigned Apple TV product in the spring, with a number of improvements including an upgraded processor, game support, and possibly even a full App Store. Apple may also have more ambitious plans in the works, aiming to partner with traditional cable companies to provide additional content on the set-top box.

Article Link: Apple TV Concept Envisions iPod Touch-Style Remote

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
yuck.

why build a remote like that...they already have a similar remote...your pre-purchased iPhone/ipod.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know about that remote concept but that white and gold Apple TV sure looks sexy!

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
there is something about being able to actually click a button.

you can change channels and the volume without having to look down at the remote.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I think that actually looks really nice, both the mockup devices and the remotes.

"why build a remote like that...they already have a similar remote...your pre-purchased iPhone/ipod."

Because it means you don't have to unlock your phone, load the app, select the right interface (swipe or library). A remote is best when it's pick up and use instantly.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Wow that black mockup is GORGEOUSSSSSSS.

But really, what good would he watch be if you needed a remote app? People are always losing their remotes, now they're going to lose one thats worth $100? Thanks, but no thanks.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
The amount of times my remotes have been launched across the room when I get up and forget they're on my lap...

NeonHeatDisease

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2014
I don't normally like the speculative mock ups created but this is downright gorgeous. Not sure about the actual functionality of the depicted remote vs say an iPad mini as a remote, but if it feels right in one hand and provides all the requisite buttons then it could be pretty sweet. I'm not holding my breath, though.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't think even Apple is crazy enough to put together a "Premium" built streaming device, a gadget that is essentially hidden. That's like making the world's most luxurious rolling chair wheel.

That said this thing looks awesome! But no way no how... not to mention it'd probably cost like 200+ for the combo.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I think that actually looks really nice, both the mockup devices and the remotes.

"why build a remote like that...they already have a similar remote...your pre-purchased iPhone/ipod."

Because it means you don't have to unlock your phone, load the app, select the right interface (swipe or library). A remote is best when it's pick up and use instantly.

I think you are missing the practical part here.
1) aluminium apple tv and remote like that would hike the price to about $200-300 -> won't happen
2) remote like this would mean another device to charge -> won't happen
3) apple will try to minimalise the look and possibly make it the smallest thing they can without it being flashy. They have other products for that :)

zonk44

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Switzerland
That remote would be a pretty dumb move, when everyone already got a smart phone. It's much more likely that they will ditch that/these additional unnecessary remote(s) and use the technology you already got in your pocket

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
there is something about being able to actually click a button.

you can change channels and the volume without having to look down at the remote.

There's also something to be said for how it integrates with the rest of the equipment. Meaning, I don't want to have to use this remote (or my iPhone) as a second remote to my current universal remote. Basic functionality available in the iOS interface needs to be accessible via infrared/RF remote and preferably vice-versa.

I'd love to see universal infrared/RF built into this remote as well as iPhones so that they can become the universal remote as well. And ideally for the new Apple TV remote to have both physical buttons and a touchscreen (like a much better Harmony One).

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Nice looking hardware! Looks like an early version of the software, it's only the wireframe, can wait to see what the final software looks like!

..oh wait.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Apple is releasing so little stuff that we have to do with wholesale fictions to bide time.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
The remote would cost more than the Apple TV box itself!

Not really, especially if they use that size, older A series chip and a smaller battery. Storage would be non-existent and memory the same. Basically it would be a receiver for the Apple TV and would display whatever the TV wifis to it.

On top of that, most wouldn't even need that remote, they could use their iPhone or iPod touch already to control the Apple TV. So the remote is pointless for many users.

They would most likely offer it with and without the remote.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would be very surprised if they did this. The reason for the basic remote? To encourage you to use the Remote app on your iPhone or iPad instead. Why? Because that way you have to own an iPhone or iPad to get the most out of your AppleTV. That way they get to sell it as another benefit of owning an iPhone or iPad and staying within Apple's walled garden.

I think it's all part of their strategy to make the iPhone the centre of your digital life or smart home so they can sell more iPhones which is where the money is.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I would love this the concept looks amazing
But I have an iphone how about they make the iphone app just like that

LukasValine

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I would actually like an iPhone with the form factor of that remote. Call it the iPhone nano.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Damn those are pretty.. I don't even own a TV but I'd go out and get one, and one of those just to look at it.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Apple is releasing so little stuff that we have to do with wholesale fictions to bide time.

I know. What happened to Cook's promise to release new products "throughout 2014" rather than release everything within the space of a few weeks like they did last year and the year before. I know it's only mid March but I haven't heard about anything on the horizon before WWDC in June.

That's the difference with Steve. He knew that you had to maintain people's interest in the brand by releasing new products month by month with lots of little hints and leaks in between. That kept the buzz going all year round. We might as well hibernate for 10 months of the year with Cook in charge as everything comes out in Sept and Oct. Makes the rest of the year bloody boring if like me you're an Apple news/products junkie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.