Apple tv connection to HD TV, with cable box, dvd and home theater

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jjjordan14, Jan 27, 2010.

1. jjjordan14 macrumors newbie

I recently got an Apple Tv and need help with connecting these components.
    Apple TV
    cable box
    dvd player
    Home theater receiver
    HD TV
    Does anyone have a diagram or connection link that I can make sense of. Thanks in advance. John

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Depends on many different things, like the types and number of inputs allowed on each piece of equipment.

Generally, you try to feed everything through your receiver, then the receiver video goes to the TV while tohe sound goes out tot he surround speakers. Newer model receivers have HDMI input and one output to the TV along with multiple audio inputs of varying types: RCA/optical/coax. Older ones may be limited to S-Video and componant inputs.

There is absolutely no way anyone here can help without at the very least pics or diagrams of the rear of each componant, so we know the number of inputs/outputs you are working with.

You can always pay a techie friend to help you out. Many will work for beer or pizza! :cool:

3. viggen61 macrumors 6502

mstrze is spot on. The receiver should be the hub of the system.

My system is a lot like yours:

AV Receiver
    Satellite (HDMI)
    Blu-ray (HDMI)
    HD-DVD (HDMI)
    DVD changer (Component - should be HDMI, but ran out of ports on the AVR)
    LD player (S-Video, Optical & analog audio)
    VCRs (red-white-yellow)

All signals go into the AVR. Audio is handled by the AVR directly to the speakers. The AVR up-rezzes everything to 1080i for the TV over HDMI. No audio goes into the TV.

My problem is the limit of how many inputs I can have readily programmed. I can only have six, even though I have something like 12 separate A/V inputs!

For certain things, that don't need all the stuff that an AVR can do for you, you can use more of the inputs on your TV. If I want to hook up my MBP to the TV, I don't need to go through the AVR, just a DVI-HDMI cable is fine.

All your sources should go into the AV receiver. Use the highest resolution/quality connection that you have (HDMI first, then Component & digital audio, then S-video & digital audio, etc.), AND is appropriate for the content.

(As I mentioned above, my DVD player can output 1080i via HDMI, but since all those ports are full, it feeds 480p to my AVR, which uprezzes to 1080i for the TV. Since DVD is only 480 anyway, this is fine.)

Whatever you do, don't pay exorbitant prices for cables! Many cheaper (under $20) cables out there. Absolutely no reason to pay $100 for "mobster" cables...

:apple::apple:

4. jjjordan14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks all is helpful esp going to the receiver for everything. I looks to me that I am fine with most except I should route the digital optical cable from the Apple TV to the receiver and not the tv to receiver. Thanks for all the input.