Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hudzilla95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
UK
I have two Apple TV's (I live between two houses) and both of them log out of apps such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime on a daily basis. I've thought about doing a reset on them but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas before I do that?

At first I did think the fact of being logged into two apple TV's with the same apps was confusing the authorizations, but If i use the 4K two days in a row, without using the HD, it is just the same.

Both TV's are running the latest TVOS 13.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Both TV's are running the latest TVOS 13.
Well, that would probably explain it best. tvOS 13 is such a turd.

But to be fair, I have seen this issue happen with older versions of tvOS, and the issue seems to come and go with me. It is so annoying.

Before doing a reset, try deleting and redownloading the app. Also, reboot all your networking equipment.

Reactions: Hudzilla95

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
It might sound crazy, but go into the advanced settings tab in the preferences of iTunes and reset the cache and warnings. Then restart everything.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Does tvOS at least save passwords like iOS? That would mitigate the annoyance, but....

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Does tvOS at least save passwords like iOS? That would mitigate the annoyance, but....
If you have your passwords saved in iOS and you go to log on to the app on the ATV, you get the prompt to enter the password on the iPhone. From there, you can go to saved passwords within iOS. Problem is, this has never worked for me lol.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
If you have your passwords saved in iOS and you go to log on to the app on the ATV, you get the prompt to enter the password on the iPhone. From there, you can go to saved passwords within iOS. Problem is, this has never worked for me lol.

that sounds like a good idea! I’d think Apple could implement it securely.
If it actually worked...

and one of the entire reasons I’d go for an AppleTV is the security on it is hopefully better than Roku/FireTV. I don’t want either of those other two having my google, Apple, or Microsoft accounts.

Last edited:

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Have you found a solution to this? It has happened to me as well with AT&T NOW & Netflix for some time now but the frequency has increased a lot over the past few months.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Have you found a solution to this? It has happened to me as well with AT&T NOW & Netflix for some time now but the frequency has increased a lot over the past few months.

Ugh, this is not selling me on an AppleTV.

I’m still ridiculously torn between which platform to buy. I don’t trust my Apple, Microsoft, or google credentials on a Roku or firetv.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ugh, this is not selling me on an AppleTV.

I’m still ridiculously torn between which platform to buy. I don’t trust my Apple, Microsoft, or google credentials on a Roku or firetv.
FWIW, I have a lot of video streaming apps (AT&T TV Now, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, NHL app, Tubi, etc...) and I remain signed in to all apps all the time. Even after restarting the ATV. I’m running 4 ATV4Ks and all of them are working as I mentioned above. Two user profiles on each one.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
FWIW, I have a lot of video streaming apps (AT&T TV Now, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, NHL app, Tubi, etc...) and I remain signed in to all apps all the time. Even after restarting the ATV. I’m running 4 ATV4Ks and all of them are working as I mentioned above. Two user profiles on each one.

thanks! That’s good to know.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois

That is encouraging. I haven’t always had an issue but can’t imagine what’s causing it...

Maybe it will get better over time or with the 2020 tvOS. This whole round of 2019 OSes have been pretty bad.

Reactions: Itinj24

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Maybe it will get better over time or with the 2020 tvOS. This whole round of 2019 OSes have been pretty bad.
Yeah, tvOS 13 has been a turd of an OS upgrade. Basically no new features, but lots of bugs, and many issues with third-party apps.

iOS 13 and MacOS 10.15 has been horrible, too.

I am not sure what is happening with Apple lately.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
That is encouraging. I haven’t always had an issue but can’t imagine what’s causing it...

I seem to be doing okay-ish now with my iPhone and iPad, but my iPad iOS 13 started out ROUGH, which is weird since for all the hype about it being a new os or whatever, there wasn’t much difference visibly at least with iOS 12.

oh, and now my podcast display order on iTunes is permanently reversed from what I want ?

apple’s podcast support was perfect in 2005 and keeps getting worse, but it’s still by far the best, which is sad ?

I’m just more comfortable running YouTube or apple+ on an AppleTV than a Roku or firetv, so keep thinking I ought to just get one.

edit: actually, iOS 13 is also frequently making my synced podcasts disappear until I resume them. That’ll be handy if I’m ever in a trip ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.