Apple TV HD wired ethernet maxes out at around 66Mbps?

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I recently upgraded my internet to 150mbps down and noticed that when my Apple TV HD (ATV4) is connected to wired ethernet, it maxes out at around 66mbps on a speedtest. When I unplug the ethernet and let it join WiFi, it maxes out at around 173mbps!

Do others have this experience too or is something screwy with my network? I'm aware that it is a 100mbps network port so I don't expect faster than 100mbps but at least I should get that if the WiFi can do 173mbps!

mhmercer

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
I have gigabit Ethernet and a gigabit router. Hardwired, I see more than 900 Mb/s both upload and download. With a 5 GHz WiFi signal, I see about 250 Mb/s both ways.

Comment

brucewayne

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
I have gigabit Ethernet and a gigabit router. Hardwired, I see more than 900 Mb/s both upload and download. With a 5 GHz WiFi signal, I see about 250 Mb/s both ways.
You likely have a 4K with gigabit, the OP with an HD has 10/100

I recently upgraded my internet to 150mbps down and noticed that when my Apple TV HD (ATV4) is connected to wired ethernet, it maxes out at around 66mbps on a speedtest. When I unplug the ethernet and let it join WiFi, it maxes out at around 173mbps!

Do others have this experience too or is something screwy with my network? I'm aware that it is a 100mbps network port so I don't expect faster than 100mbps but at least I should get that if the WiFi can do 173mbps!

Lots of things affect your ethernet speed - overhead in the router, error correction etc. Even though the wireless peaks faster I'd rather have the wired connection at 66

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it much since even the ATV 4k starts choking on content over 30-35Mbps (like full blu-ray rips) and most streaming 1080 programming doesn't exceed 8-10Mbps.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
Wireless, I am able to get well over 300Mbps on my ATV4 which is two floors away from by 6th gen AirPort Extreme. Wired, I get about 94Mbps.

Check your cable. Are you reusing a cable that you had sitting around?

Some devices that come with CAT5e cables only have 2 pairs inside. This would drop top speed a little under 100Mbps on a Gigabit port. Kind of weird that yours is all the way down to 66Mbps, but maybe it is because the ATV4 has a 10/100 port.

Not sure if that is your issue, but worth checking out.

Last edited:
Comment

HDFan

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
Test your local network speed, not the speed provided by your ISP, by using a program such as Lakehorns' Network Speed Tester. You run a server program on your Mac (or other Apple Device), and the client app on your Apple TV, iPad, iPhone etc. This gives you the speed on your local network. If the values are low then you know you have to look at your router connection.

Client image is from my iPhone as my Apple TV Developer Hud screen shot is not working.

IMG_0581.jpg

Since even the ATV 4k starts choking on content over 30-35Mbps (like full blu-ray rips) and most streaming 1080 programming doesn't exceed 8-10Mbps.
I've never experienced that, with speeds over 100 Mbps with 4K UHD sources. For example I'm streaming Enders Game at a total bitrate of 73 Mbps with no problems:

IMG_0582.jpg

Comment