Apple TV + HomePod issues on iOS 13: ghost fast-forwarding, sound out of sync, no sound, etc.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Goldfrapp, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Bought a brand-new HomePod about a month ago, and have been experiencing issues with Apple TV + HomePod on iOS 13 beta ever since.

Some of the issues are:

1. Movies and tv shows fast-forward on their own after unpausing them
    2. After ghost fast-forwarding, HomePod sound becomes out of sync
    3. HomePod sound disappears after commercial break
    4. Movies and tv shows refuse to start playing with HomePod connected

As soon as I disconnect HomePod, all issues disappear. I tried factory-resetting HomePod multiple times to no avail.

When I play iPhone music through HomePod, there are zero issues.

I can't figure out the culprit.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

3. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Downgrade to tvOS 12 and wait for tvOS 13 to be out of beta in September. The new features aren't worth the hassle of issues that can pop up.

4. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

just a quick one - come across this on a Google search.

I’m on iOS 13 beta, along with tvOS 13 too. The audio is out of sync. - That’s fine; I appreciate it’s a beta.

Is Syncing with a HomePod and Apple TV totally in sync usually? (On iOS 12?)

5. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The funny thing is that my HomePod is having similar issues on tvOS 12 as well. They issues are not as extreme as on tvOS 13 beta, but they are still there. For example, commercial breaks completely lose audio, but when the breaks are over, the audio resumes automatically. I'm 100% certain that's not a feature. Also, some shows refuse to start playing with HomePod connecting, but play just fine as soon as HomePod is disconnected. That's all happening on tvOS 12.

What I wanna know if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with HomePod on tvOS 12 or 13. If I'm the only one, then beta is not the culprit. Something else must be wrong then.

When not in beta, audio is always in sync, otherwise HomePod would be considered a faulty product.

6. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

You really need to be providing this feedback to Apple via the Feedback Assistant. If they don't know about it, they can't fix it. Be sure and include what apps you are seeing this behavior in.

For what it's worth, I have been using the tvOS 13 beta since build one and have not had any audio sync issues when using my HomePods except with the YouTube TV app, and that is a bug in that app, not tvOS.