Apple TV Movie Purchases And Long Load Times

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SluGuru, Sep 28, 2014.

1. SluGuru macrumors regular

I am having an issue with extraordinarily long load times for movie and tv show purchases from Apple. All of the video on my apps like Netflix, HBO Go, etc, etc, etc all load fine in the highest quality those apps deliver. Everything loads fine except movies I rent from iTunes.

The Apple TV acts as if it has to load the entire movie before it loads. Let me note that my downstairs wired Apple TV does not have the issue. At worst I have to wait 2-3 minutes for a movie to load. Via Wifi 50-70 feet away upstairs I am getting wait times of 15-36 hours. I can see on the progress bar it has loaded 20 minutes of the movie.

I understand this is likely to wifi range issues. However, it seems excessive. Sometimes I try to play a movie in my library and it loads instantly upstairs and other times it tells me to wait 30 hours.

Should I reset my Apple TV that is not loading movies and shows like it use to? Even though Netflix and HBO are perfect? Should I try a Wifi Extender? Any advice is very much appreciated.

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

As a work around, just try pausing it and pressing play again, it should start playing. I've had this with some larger sized HD movies ripped from my BD collection.

3. iancheyne macrumors regular

Long HD movie load times.

I've experienced this many times in the last year. It can be cured by either closing iTunes on the host Mac and re-starting it, re-booting the Mac, re-booting the wifi router or re-booting the AppleTV using the menu and 'down arrow' keys.

Usually it takes a combination of the above and it generally happens after there has been an iTunes update.

It's extremely annoying ...