Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
I have purchased movies on my Old Version Apple TV and when I SYNCed with iMac always worked so copy was on iMac too. Well today I purchased a movie on Apple tv and wont transfer to iMac? Whats up with that?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
It's somewhat unclear as to what version of the Apple TV you are talking about, but regardless of whether you have the "old" or "new" Apple TV if you rent something on the Apple TV it can't be moved or synced back to the Mac/PC (it has to be viewed on the Apple TV). Only movies/TV shows that you actually purchase can be synced back to your computer. If you purchased a movie on an "old" Apple TV it should be able to sync back to your computer -- if it didn't then you've probably experienced a glitch in your system or bug in iTunes or the Apple TV. Here is the clause from the iTunes Store Terms of Service:

(a) Content rentals are viewable on only one device at a time. You must be connected to the Service when moving rentals, and you may do so only between your computer and other compatible devices. Content rented using your Apple TV, iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) may not be moved. If you move a rental to a compatible device and then use the Service to restore that device, or choose Settings > Reset > Erase all content and settings on that device, the rental will be permanently deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.