Apple TV was such a waste of money.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by scaramoosh, Dec 7, 2016.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

I swear Apple are losing the plot, their products in the past few years have been on the decline as the competitors have caught up and they just seem to make such poor design decisions. I'm sure Johnny Ive isn't the be all end all over there, but he needs to go, he is clearly out of good ideas. The Apple Pencil charging design, Apple Tv Remote design... the new Macbook keyboard design... NO TRAVEL SUCKS! I can point to an endless list of things lately, it's like they're not making products for Humans any more.

The Apple TV I've barely touched since I got it, I didn't realise at the time it had no 4K support... I assumed it did as 4K was very much the latest thing in 2015 for TVs, so tbh having a 4K TV I've just used another device. However that aside the keyboard design sucks, they've tried to fix it with the iPhone input... but that sucks. I keep getting notifications every frigging time I want to type something on screen, that notification leads to nowhere and I have to manually open the Apple TV remote app instead... wtf?

I talked abut the Apple TV remote design.. well I always pick it up the wrong was as it's designed all wrong. The touch pad is a horrible thing for navigating menu's, it's not precise, just give me a dpad or something. Why can't I just use my phone as a remote like Chromecast? I mean well designed remote that works seamlessly, not just an app replicating a remote, but just using your phone and clicking an icon whenever you want to play something? Not just a dated miracast type thing or an remote app.

On the topic of the remote, why does it always need syncing every other day? I swear I have more problems with it than any other thing... I constantly have "more connected and disconnected" messages all the time. So I reset the whole thing and that went away, just for it to become slow and laggy a couple days later... this is a constant cycle now and I only ever turn it on by mistake these days and just want to use it to put the thing to sleep.

Then you have the fact there is barely any apps for it, even my Samsung TV has all the built in channel apps for UK TV. Chromecast however is missing pretty much everything and the biggest thing is no Amazon.... like wtf? My Sony TV from 4 years ago downstairs has Amazon... everything has Amazon... no ITV, no 4od, no ****ING ****ING SDFHCXzfkdhpsgfzjkfjgk

The worst product Apple has ever made, it's made by retards, time to hang it up Ive, you're dragging Apple down.

2. benjitek, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

If only you had time to visit the product web page prior to purchasing and read the product specifications -- a quick way to avoid all that assuming. Even product reviews, so many of them came out before the ATV4 actually launched.

Thankfully for you, the marketplace offers a choice of platforms. Return it and get something else, nothing is worth all that whining... o_O

3. lvavila macrumors member

Wow, a pickup is not a SUV and and SUV is not a luxury sedan. Find a product that works and move on. Do some research before buying a product. I find ATV4 awesome and have zero the hiccup you seems to have. Your rant is nothing more than a wine. You sound like my 5 year old.

4. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Complain to Amazon (or other content providers). There's an App Store for the Apple TV and we know Amazon has a developer account, since they have an iOS app. Apple doesn't make apps for other companies.

5. jdag macrumors 6502a

Topic title: "Apple TV was such a waste of money"

Response: I paid $150 for an AppleTV and have saved ~$1,000 on cable in the past year. Even netting out Netflix and other content purchases, I am still minimally $500 ahead. Clearly not a waste of money. If you don't like the ATV, cool, that's fine. There are several options out there that can be had for as little as $30. The good news is that there is plenty of choice.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I store movies and TV shows on my local NAS. Before the ATV 4 I was streaming them via several iterations of Western Digital TV Live devices. Those worked for about 90% of the file formats I needed, then every once in a while even though it said it was compatible with a certain audio format, it wasn't, so I'd have to re-mux a file. Then they needed to be rebooted every couple of days due to a severe memory leak - and they weren't supported with any firmware updates from WD after about a year from when introduced. But they were about the only devices that would stream directly from a NAS without needing a Plex server running all the time.

The ATV 4 running MrMC and Infuse has handled everything I've thrown at it.....granted, nothing H.265 or 4K video, but I knew that going in since I actually looked at the specs before I bought it. I love the ATV. So - there's another opposing viewpoint.

7. Timothy Leo Crowley macrumors member

Sounds like you're on the wrong forum. Best of luck with your future purchasing decisions.

The Apple TV is amazing tech. The remote is a joy to use. Your mileage may vary.

8. expectdelay macrumors member

expectdelay

I disagree with almost everything you said - I love my AppleTV and use it all the time. I knew what features it had by reading the specs beforehand and it does all of those things for me very well. However I do agree the remote has some problems and I wish there were options to replace it with something better. With Siri integration tho, the remote bothers me a lot less than it did before.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I just added the Apple Remote Loop to my Siri remote and I can tell, it is totally impossible not to detect its direction, even in total darkness.
    But I have to admit, I find myself using the aTV Remote app on iPhone much more often, than the OOB remote.

10. belvdr macrumors 603

I never was a fan of ATV. Roku was always ahead of the game with features such as searching across all channels. Additionally, I could get private channels too if I wish, such as traffic cameras where I live.

To each their own, but I'll stick with Roku.

11. jca24, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016

jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

The AppleTV is greatness as is the remote, and it's Apples fault you can't pick up the remote correctly.

12. John_Hagan macrumors member

John_Hagan

Well admittedly you didn't take a little time to read the specs and product description for the ATV4. You then made some incorrect assumptions and went ahead and purchased it anyway. Your best bet now is to sell it to someone who understands the product and what it can and cannot do. Going forward you will hopefully make an effort to know exactly what you are buying prior to purchasing. There is no doubt that the ATV4 is not a perfect product but it is not anywhere near as miserable as you are making it sound. I hope you will find satisfaction with some other product like Fire TV or Roku.

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I agree the Roku has more options than the ATV, but I sold my Roku in favor if the ATV because of the UI and the remote.

14. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Seriously? This is what you are impressed by?

I bought the Apple TV when it first came out last year. Utter waste of time. Does nothing I couldn't do in other ways at no cost. Still doesn't have all the apps on it you'd want, e.g. Amazon. And iTunes remains bloody awful.

Nul points.

15. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

There are options to replace it with something else you prefer. It will work with any IR remote. It's the only device I've used that actually has a utility built in to learn IR codes from any remote and map them to any function. You loose Siri that way but control is better. I use my Harmony remote 90% of the time and only grab the Siri remote when I need Siri, the accelerometer, or when I need to scroll long distances in the Computer app.

16. belvdr macrumors 603

Interesting, I was exactly the opposite. I did not like the ATV UI. What is special about the remote? I haven't been keeping up with ATV.

I didn't like the remote where "menu" went back or some nonsense. Nobody who picked it up could figure that out.

EDIT: Nevermind, it explains it on Apple's site. I still don't like that remote.

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Hmmm, I have Fire Stick, Roku, and ATV4. On the ATV4 I can do a global search using Siri. On the Roku I have to painstakingly fat finger the search in via the remote and on screen alphabet, which is a total pain. On the Firestick there is voice search, but for Amazon only, not global.

Although it wasn't the first, the ATV4 search seems like the easiest and most complete.

18. belvdr macrumors 603

Except Siri never understands anything I say. LOL

I hardly ever search anyway, but it's a neat feature when it's required. When I do search, I use the phone app to make it quicker. On top of that, the results start filtering in as you type, so I rarely get to the end of my keyword before the result I want is shown.

I do use the Roku remote headphones feature a lot though.

19. expectdelay macrumors member

expectdelay

Understood - I had a harmony for a while as well. I just wish i could get something with siri. I'd also be happy with a harmony type replacement if i could use the siri in my applewatch to directly control the ATV. That would be awesome for me.

20. simon lefisch, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016

simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Bought my gf an ATV4, it's ok. Didn't get one for myself since it doesn't do DTS pass-thru or support h265. I bought a Shield console. Couldn't be happier. Can even use Amazon (sideloaded) and AirPlay with it Apple could've done better with the AppleTV.

21. tanfan macrumors regular

How old of a Roku are you using? Roku does "global" more than 20 channel, voice search and has for years.

22. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Roku 2 I think? Maybe time to update then!

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

No need to be rude just cause his opinion differs from yours.

24. Richard28 macrumors member

Agreed with the OP, in the U.K, the ATV4 is pointless compared to its peers. The only thing it offers of use is airplay.. but I am not going to spend north of £100 for that, especially since it won't airplay in 4K, which my iPhone 6s records in (atv3 airplays the same as atv4 so does the job).

If you buy a 4K tv you get all the apps you need -few of which are on atv, if you want games you buy a PlayStation or an Xbox,the atv4 serves no purpose whatsoever.

25. Timothy Leo Crowley macrumors member

Millions of other people disagree with you. So grand we have so many fine products to choose from. I have my Apple TV, Roku and a Chromecast all hooked to my projector. I always go back to the ATV as the best experience. Have a nice day.